CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 09-21-2004, 02:25 AM   #1
Chris Williams

Profile:
Hi All,

Any ideas of exercises/routines to do that do not involve the legs whatsoever? Especially to get the heart going?

Some sort of Tabitha system using pull ups? (except I will not be able to do enough pull ups!). I was thinking of maybe "wheelbarrow" walking with a partner holding my legs, or maybe pushing myself around in a wheelchair...any other ideas??

I've been following Crossfit for a couple of months, but now I've torn my meniscus cartilage, and given previous problems I've been told to wear a full length brace for 6 weeks.

Cheers
Old 09-21-2004, 06:15 AM   #2
Ryan Atkins

Profile:
Hi Christophe,

Welcome to Crossfit.

I like your idea of the wheelbarrow walking. Maybe every 10 feet or so you can stop and fire off some push-ups. If you enjoy pain, you can try some of the variations at www.brutaltraining.com (one example - your partner holds your feet while you do hopping push-ups . . . up a huge set of stairs . . . . on your knuckles).

Another option is to do the push-ups while gripping a set of dumbbells after each rep you lift one of the dumbbells and do a row with it with each arm. You could throw in some L-sits with these also.

Just some thoughts,

Ryan Atkins
Old 09-21-2004, 07:26 AM   #3
Chris Williams

Profile:
Thanks Ryan, the variations sound tough enough to give me something to aim for over the next 6 weeks, and brutaltraining.com looks really good.

I actually posted a similar query 5 weeks ago under Injuries after the first time damaging my meniscus (falling off my mountain bike) and you said something like "don't know what the re-injury rate is for mountain bikers" to which I replied that i was going to do "less aggressive mountain biking from now on"...if only i'd listened to myself...I now have a much longer recovery period cos I pushed myself too hard, too soon!
Old 09-21-2004, 07:33 AM   #4
Keith Wittenstein

Profile:
Christophe

I find that I can't make it through a whole set of Tabata pullups either, but I will sometimes try to just do a deadhang for 20 seconds then rest then repeat. It works the grips and builds some static strength.

Then Tabata pushups are great too. Alternating Tabata pullups and pushups will get your heart pounding even if you don't complete the reps and just have to do static holds.

If you can't find a partner maybe put your legs on a swiss ball, then alternate a pushup with bringing the knees into the chest and rolling them back out.

This also might be a good time to work on handstand pushups.

Experiment and have fun. Find ways to enjoy your workouts so you don't get bummed about your leg.

Keith
Old 09-21-2004, 07:47 AM   #5
Roger Harrell

Profile:
Pull-ups, dips, muscle ups, HSPU, inverted pull ups, presses, hollow body rocks, V ups, L pull ups, planch drills, hand walking...
http://www.drillsandskills.com/skills/cond/upper
Old 09-21-2004, 02:26 PM   #6
Carrie Klumpar

Profile:
And stuff you can do with the good leg, like pistols. Or, depending on how these feel for you, things where you can keep your legs straight and engage some of the muscles in even the "bad" leg without putting too much weight or stress on it, like Romanian deadlifts with a kettlebell. Also maybe back extensions or good mornings...

Will the brace be locked straight the whole time?

Good luck to you. Frustrating, ain't it?!
Old 09-21-2004, 06:30 PM   #7
Rick Worthington

Profile:

Keith - I think your right about the deadhang on pullups. I can knock out 7-8 til the last two sets of tabata then I just winf up hanging there - the grip work is great.
Old 09-22-2004, 01:44 AM   #8
Chris Williams

Profile:
OK, thanks everyone, that gives me a lot to work on. I've also hired a wheelchair for a month so I can push myself around in that for a bit of exercise...wonder if I can still do those mountain bike trails after all...

Keith & Rick, trying to do Tabata pull ups then dead hanging sounds good.

Roger, thanks for all the suggestions and link.

Carrie, yes the leg is straight out, not really supposed to take the brace off unless i'm really "safe" i.e. on the couch. Not too sure about doing too much with my good leg, as have found the knee already v. tired having to do all the work getting up stairs etc.

Old 09-22-2004, 06:05 AM   #9
Dale S. Jansen

Profile:
assuming you have seen an orthopedist re your meniscus...arthroscopic may be your best bet. i tore my lateral meniscus a few years back and was riding my mtn bike gently in 3 wks on the road following surgery. cartilagenous tissue has low blood supply and has extremely slow to nonexistent healing times. 6 wks in a cast may limit inflammation in the area due to restricted movement but will not necessarily cure your bad meniscus. something to think about...
Old 09-22-2004, 06:07 AM   #10
Paul Symes

Profile:
When David Beckham hurt his leg a couple of years ago they interviewed his physio on TV. One of the exercises he demonstrated was rowing on a Concept 2 rower with the broken leg on a cloth on the floor (it was a hard polished floor so the cloth/leg slid to and fro with the movement)