CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 02-14-2009, 10:58 AM   #1
Matt Thomas

Profile:
Gymnastics Bodies WOD?

I plan on starting this on Monday because I'm finding a serious hole in my body weight strength. I was just wondering if anyone else has tried following it before and what your experiences were. The volume seems really low, but then again so does Crossfit eh? So I think I'm going to give it a shot as prescribed and see what it does for me. I may have to throw in extra running though unfortunately. Anyways, any thoughts?
Old 02-14-2009, 11:05 AM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: Gymnastics Bodies WOD?

Coach Sommer said the overall volume would be pretty low until he builds everyone up to the volume necessary to do everything. If you're not on THAT hard progressions you can definitely add stuff in if you need to... just playing around with it so that you're always making progress. If not and you're overdoing it.. drop some stuff out.

I personally only train with ~3 exercises per session... once you get to working on upper level strength moves you don't have the recovery to do anymore.
Old 02-14-2009, 01:07 PM   #3
Matt Thomas

Profile:

Do you find it more difficult to recover from body weight gymnastics work than from heavy BB strength work?
Old 02-14-2009, 01:36 PM   #4
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Thomas View Post
Do you find it more difficult to recover from body weight gymnastics work than from heavy BB strength work?
It's not really an either or thing. I mean, if you're DLing 700+ then it's gonna take a while to recover from that too... hence accessory work like WSBB. Overall, I'd say gymnastics CAN be more taxing but mostly if you're working the upper level progressions which are more full body work much like squatting and DLing as compared to something like press or bench. Although if you get heavy enough with those, you're gonna have problems recovering from them too.

At this point knowing how my body works if I went to weights for upper body I'd probably be able to do a bit more volume. I haven't touched weights (except weighting myself during dips/pullups/muscleups) in a while so I can't say for sure.

All about managing fatigue.
Old 02-14-2009, 02:42 PM   #5
Alexander Kornishev

Profile:

Matt, most of what is on gymnastic bodies WOD is basic strength. Depends where you are with your BW strength and gymnastic skills it can be appropriate or not, although it is basic I find that most of what is implemented in WOD is pretty advanced for a novice or even advanced novice and hard skills wise, also when done in giant set (most of WOD there are done as giant set there) movements are difficult to control and execute properly.
I find Coach Sommer's book much better as a source for BW exercises as you can follow progressions you are interested in and advance at your own pace. Book progressions and steady state approach seems to working the best for me. On the other hand many people on gymnasticbodies forum follow WODs and like them.
43/5'9"/180 SP: 195, BS: 425, DL: 500, Clean: 285, Jerk: 265, Snatch: 200, Fran: 2:19
Old 02-14-2009, 03:55 PM   #6
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

I'm giving the GB WoD a good month or so to see if I like it or would prefer my own programming. I've been combining with a CF WOD to top it off before or after depending on what the WOD is.
Old 02-14-2009, 05:53 PM   #7
Matt Thomas

Profile:

Will you be keeping track of it in your log? I'd like to keep track of how you're doing with it.
Old 02-14-2009, 06:59 PM   #8
Jeff R Tucker

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Kornishev View Post
Matt, most of what is on gymnastic bodies WOD is basic strength. Depends where you are with your BW strength and gymnastic skills it can be appropriate or not, although it is basic I find that most of what is implemented in WOD is pretty advanced for a novice or even advanced novice and hard skills wise, also when done in giant set (most of WOD there are done as giant set there) movements are difficult to control and execute properly.
I find Coach Sommer's book much better as a source for BW exercises as you can follow progressions you are interested in and advance at your own pace. Book progressions and steady state approach seems to working the best for me. On the other hand many people on gymnasticbodies forum follow WODs and like them.
Perfectly stated!
Old 02-14-2009, 07:00 PM   #9
Steven Anderson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blair Robert Lowe View Post
I'm giving the GB WoD a good month or so to see if I like it or would prefer my own programming. I've been combining with a CF WOD to top it off before or after depending on what the WOD is.
Blair, I reccommend giving it more than a month if you can. I followed an 8 week cycle of 10 sets of 6 second holds with the planche and lever variations/progressions and have mixed in other static and dynamic work. I've also incorporated alot of heavy lifting (low sets, low reps of powerlifts and O-lifts) with substantial gains. The only "cardio or metcon" that I do are sprints once or twice a week or a few rounds on the heavy bag once a week. Coach Sommer advises in his book that it takes 6 weeks to build a solid foundation of basic strength. Though, I came into his program with higher strength, I started from scratch with the movements and found this initial "6 weeks" of building strength to be very true and effective. I am now in my second week of my next 8 week cycle and am feeling much stronger. You can check my blog (below by my signature) to see my workout log. Sometimes my volume is a bit much, but... it seems to be working.
Old 02-14-2009, 07:33 PM   #10
Matt Thomas

Profile:

Mind if I ad you to my blog list?