CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Closed Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 05:49 PM   #141
Dave Campbell

Profile:
Re: Military leaning away from CrossFit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Cooper View Post
Two things. First, to the extent I can tell the American military is moving TOWARDS CrossFit. The Marines are big into it, many of the Spec. Op. types are doing it, and we are seeing CrossFit gyms and affiliates popping up around the bases of every Service Branch--including the Coast Guard.

Second, the Original Poster was "banned for ethical and integrity violations", from which I infer that his actual intent in starting this thread was to stir up trouble and doubt.

In my own view, I think a careful reading of a representative, if not complete (it is long) segment of this thread will show quite the opposite effect.

The bottom line appears to increasingly be that where our servicemen and women are allowed to train as they want, they are choosing our system.

Just look at the list of Certifications on the Main Page. Look at the number of Affiliates, currently at something like 1,000 and growing.
Read all of the posts the OP made (not just on this thread, but since he's been here). You see any ethical/integrity violations? Me neither. That's part of the drama that is CF.

Old 02-25-2009, 07:55 PM   #142
Joshua Murphy

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Campbell View Post
Read all of the posts the OP made (not just on this thread, but since he's been here). You see any ethical/integrity violations? Me neither. That's part of the drama that is CF.
It had nothing to do with this thread. There was no "drama."

"Warp Spasm" courtesy of http://www.anne-madden.com/LeBPages/...bration21.html (WFS)

Old 02-26-2009, 12:14 PM   #143
Dave Campbell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Murphy View Post
It had nothing to do with this thread. There was no "drama."
The drama happened on a different discussion board.

Old 02-26-2009, 03:45 PM   #144
Barry Cooper

Profile:

I'm not privy to the details on this matter, but have had some inside information on some other public dramas we've had over the years, and invariably when I got the facts, the decision made was obviously the appropriate one.

I don't go to other boards, but a lot of people surf around, and I know in the past there have been people who would adopt one face here, and another elsewhere.

There are a number of people involved in decisions to ban people, and it's discussed carefully. The details on these things really aren't any of our business.

My guess was based on this thread: http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=43123

in which Lynne said "George has demonstrated by word and deed that he has nothing but contempt for CrossFit and this community."

That seems pretty unambiguous to me.

Old 02-26-2009, 05:38 PM   #145
Tobias W. Neal

Profile:

Why don't you ask George...I did and I will leave it at that. If you ever want to know something just try going to the source...it will of course be told from one side but its better than just guessing...

Old 02-27-2009, 12:23 PM   #146
Barry Cooper

Profile:

It really doesn't matter. Regardless of his intent, the net is that I think this was a useful discussion. I have no idea if the SEAL's are or are not moving away from CrossFit, but it's quite clear that overall more and more units are embracing CrossFit on an ad hoc, private basis. We are growing, and we are growing disproportionately among professional members of the military.

There is no other system of which I am aware with which we are competing, other than the traditional programs, which consistently generate poor fitness, and frequent injuries.

I will add that, as said, I've been privy to some of the behind the scenes dramas in the past, and am somewhat familiar with how these things are adjudicated. With the obvious caveat that all people err on occasion, I would submit that the process is on balance fair, and that the verdict rendered in this case was likely well justified.

Regardless, we will move on, like we always do.

Old 02-28-2009, 08:03 PM   #147
Charles Pyke

Profile:

Hmmm, where to start? How about some random thoughts?

1. I might be wrong, but in general it seems the incorporation of CF into the military is directly related to a unit's proximity to actual fighting. I am glad to hear that it is popular and prevalent in Afghanistan and Iraq. But go to places like Al Udeid...forget it. Just doing deadlifts or deep "real" squats gets you some disdainful looks. Another example, state side at my base gym, new signs were posted to not move equipment out of the designated areas after I started using it for CF WODs (never mind that I was careful to put everything away).

2. In several of the signature blocks in the "e-mail chain", some of the writers were from AETC (Air Education and Training Command). AETC was originally ATC, but back then Air Training Command was often referred to as "Allergic To Combat".

3. In some circles of the AF, some people literally take all day to write one e-mail. Reason? They are very afraid that someone will read something unintended in what was written and lodge a complaint. (Yes, some people work hard to be offended). Next thing you know you're standing in front of your supervisor receiving some sort of reprimand. I see this mentality of self protection in the "e-mail chain".

4. Another reason for CF resistance in some military units is individual and corporate laziness. What passes for group PT is often laughable and at the same time sad. LSD is still king along with isolation type weight lifting mostly on a huge selection of ineffective machines. Our base gym is full of people running laps, using treadmills and other "aerobic" machines and hordes of guys doing "Bi's and tri's" or "lats and back" (or what ever they call itI don't even care). A CF WOD is hard, both physically and mentally. Go hard till you puke? Unheard of. Any time I do it, people are torn between laughing and asking me if I am okay. They've never been there or even know what it means. Psych yourself into that heavy deadlift? Better not, it's bad for your back. Who wants to work that hard?

4. Last random thought...promise. At least at our base, people are actually concerned about lost production versus time spent in the gym.

Old 03-02-2009, 10:25 PM   #148
Erin Shay

Profile:

Definitely agree with you CP... I work at the base where most of those emails came from. AETC is horrible, but anything is that is weighed down by bureaucracy.

We call it the blue AF versus the green AF. There are shoe clerks who have office hours and wear polyester. They make the rules. Then there are those of us who wear flight suits and abu's. We work nights, weekends or however long it takes to get the job done. There are definitely more of the latter in the Marines I think... Or maybe just more of the former in the AF....

No offense meant to you shoe clerks...

Old 03-03-2009, 01:12 PM   #149
Matthew Eucalitto

Profile:

I definitely agree.

Personally, I would like to see the AF create a special duty assignment as PT leader for a Group/Wing, whatever level...so they can get trained and have some understanding of exercise and physiology...as opposed to tasking an engineer who has a thousand other reports to write with also trying to understand the physical requirements of each member of their unit.
This may/may not lead to more military/AF doing CrossFit, however, it will lead to healthier and more combat ready airmen.

Alas, I havent been nominated as Chief of Staff yet.

Old 03-04-2009, 09:42 AM   #150
Mark Martinez

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Eucalitto View Post
I definitely agree.

Personally, I would like to see the AF create a special duty assignment as PT leader for a Group/Wing, whatever level...so they can get trained and have some understanding of exercise and physiology...
Now that would be awesome!

Closed Thread