CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 01-08-2009, 05:31 PM   #1
Eric Ward

Profile:
What is the weight ratings on Pendlay HD bar and Econ Bar?

Iv tried searching the forums and can not search "HD".

I was in the market to purchase a Pendlay Crossfit bar this evening, I emailed Glenn yesterday but I'm am very anxious to purchase and cant wait =D

What is the real difference between the two?

My squat and dead lifts are nearing 300lbs if that assists in choosing which one to purchase.

Thanks in advance,
Eric
Old 01-08-2009, 06:08 PM   #2
Joseph Shreckhise

Profile:
Re: What is the weight ratings on Pendlay HD bar and Econ Bar?

1500 for the HD not sure about economy
Old 01-08-2009, 07:41 PM   #3
Christian Mason

Profile:

Probably because the people who are honest will admit that weight meanings are worthless.

If I tell you a bar is rated to 1500lbs what does that mean? That it snaps holding 1500lbs in a rack (how wide a rack)?

That you can deadlift the bar with 1500lbs on it, in theory (how fast does YOUR deadlift accelerate?)

If you're strong you can snap a cheap bar with high speed heavy O-lifts, or by dropping it. I've bent cheap ones with fairly modest deadlifts (I've never pulled more than 400lbs even when I was heavier).
Old 01-08-2009, 07:58 PM   #4
George Mounce

Profile:

You can't lift enough to bend a Pendlay bar if you need to question how much it can take. Heck, I will never be able to lift enough to bend one and I've purposely dropped 500 pounds on one from head high to see if it would break and the answer was....nope!
Old 01-08-2009, 09:49 PM   #5
Robbie Cooper

Profile:

I've got a Pendlay Crossfit bar. I've pulled 415 lb DLs on it many times. Still as straight and true as the day I bought it.
Old 01-09-2009, 05:41 AM   #6
Eric Ward

Profile:

I've decided on Purchasing a Pendlay bar from all the great reviews, Yes i know its a great bar.

My question is, which to purchase and why the ECON or the HD?
Old 01-09-2009, 11:35 AM   #7
Patrick Haskell

Profile:

Use the search function. That exact question was pretty much the title of a thread a couple months ago.
Old 01-12-2009, 11:48 AM   #8
Glenn Pendlay

Profile:

To those in this thread that questioned the "pound rating" or "static strength rating" of the various Pendlay bars...

I am going to open a can of worms here, I got blasted quite hard when I talked about this last time, I would only ask for a bit of room here since I am responding to questions or comments by others and not initiating the conversation.

First of all, I have never put static strength ratings on any of my bars. The reason is that I dont believe they are that good of an indication of what a bar will take in a real life situation. Another reason is that I believe that these numbers are applied fairly haphazardly by some, not by all but by some, vendors. I know of cases where the same bar is rated at 1000lbs, 1500lbs, or even 2000lbs in different websites, magazines, cataloges etc.

The static strength of a bar is supposed to be the weight that the bar will hold when sitting motionless in a squat rack. One fly in the ointment is that the width of the pins that it is sitting on (how far apart the pins are) probably has more to do with when the bar will bend than how much weight is on the bar! Take one of my HD bars, and put it in a squat rack with with the pins just inside the collars,and though I have never tried it, I would bet that it would take 2000+ lbs before it bent. Put it in a rack with the pins a foot closer, and it would take much less to bend it.

Even telling people precisely what weight the bar will take on a squat and deadlift is not an exact science. My HD Olympic and Power bars have withstood 1000lb squats. Can I say for certain that they cant be bent with a 1000lb squat? NO. Anyone who has ever seen Shane Hammons 1008lb IPF world record squat might understand why. Shane basically dive-bombed this squat, producing very noticable bar whip even with an ultra-stiff Ivanko powerlifting bar. He probably subjected that bar to twice the force that your "average" 1000lb squatter(can any 1000lb squatter be called average?) because of how fast he stopped and changed directions in the bottom.

Would I be honest, just because a 1000lb squat has been done on a certain bar, in telling people who planned to do those type of squats on a regular basis that this was the bar for them? NO. Standing up to a certain amount of stress 1 time, or 3 times, is much different from standing up to it hundreds of times over years or decades. There are 2-3 bars that I would recomend to someone training their squat consistently at those levels, and I do not make any of them.

If its hard to put a precise number on a squat, imagine how hard it is on a clean and jerk! Donny Shankle trained for 2 years on a prototype bar with the same steel in it as an HD bar. Donny has a 463lb max clean and jerk, and went over 400lbs on the clean and jerk on an almost daily basis for those two years. And he is not what you would call gently when it comes to dropping the bar. And the bar is still arrow straight. Is it possible to bend and HD bar with a 400lb clean and jerk. Of course it is. Ever seen Ronnie Weller's second pull? Id be pretty nervous if he were lifting on one of my HD bars. Why he would be doing that I have no idea, but still, Id be nervous if it happened.

So, this is why I really shy away from hard and fast numbers. Too many variables.