CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 12-30-2008, 02:08 AM   #1
Andrew Dossman

Profile:
Calories or Whey Protein or All

Hey guys sorry if this is a repost. I used to be on the supplement train for like a year and i got alot of size and strength but i just felt like crap all the time while on them. Found Cf, started doing paleo, fell great. I did SS over the summer and got huge gains, gained about 10 lbs (which is good for me put me at about 165). But now i have stone walled. My squat has not gone up since the summer, deadlift went up, jerk went up, but some lifts went down after i stopped, which i assumed would happen after getting off the GOMAD but i haven't caught back up to it. I was doing the hybrid program for a while and got some good work outs. However i feel like ive stonewalled, my strength as kinda stopped, body fat isn't getting lower, and times aren't really getting better ether. So i was wondering ive been more so trying to jam as many calories into my body a day as possible and it seems to have stopped, should i go ahead and try the post workout whey protein shake also or am i in a temporary slump or what. Id like to keep it all natural but ive read that whole 30 mins post workout is prime protein absorption, however i never really knew if that was total crap or not. Again sorry if this is repost
Old 12-30-2008, 09:32 AM   #2
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:
Re: Calories or Whey Protein or All

It sounds like you recovery is low for what you are doing. You can either increase your recovery (eat more and better, sleep more, contrast showers, glutamine, ZMA, etc) or reduce what you are doing.

Repost and be specific about what you are doing, how much you eating, sleeping, etc.
Old 12-30-2008, 12:54 PM   #3
Andrew Dossman

Profile:

20 years old

Daily meals usally consist of
-3 to 4 eggs in the morning with fruit and nuts
-Snack of a Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich(organic blueberry preserves)- if you never had it GET SOME!
- Chicken Breast/ Chicken Salad for Lunch with Fruit and Nuts
- Dinner is a Steak/or Fish with Fruit and Nuts or something that my mom makes
- Maybe another snack at night before i go to bed
Most meals are washed down with organic whole milk and water is drunken throughout the day.

Workouts
June 2008 to August 2008- SS
September 2008- November 2008- Strength Hybrid Program
December 2008- 3 to 4 Wod's a week 2 on 1 off with a day or 2 of heavy lifting

Sleeping is 9+ hours a day

No Alcohol

One problem is after going all out on the Wod's i usually dont feel like eating anything for a while, which is what i was wondering if it is hurting my recovery, and if so is there anything i can do about that
Old 12-30-2008, 01:08 PM   #4
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

After a workout, I like a quart of whole chocolate milk, but a good whey protein shake isn't a bad idea either. Post workout nutrition is fairly important and will also increase your daily calories which can;t hurt.
Old 12-30-2008, 02:23 PM   #5
Tom Jones Jr

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Dossman View Post
but ive read that whole 30 mins post workout is prime protein absorption, however i never really knew if that was total crap or not. Again sorry if this is repost
It's not exactly crap but it's not exactly the gospel truth. It doesn't actually make a difference, You could get some protein 1 hr after you drop the last bar-bell and it would be the same as if you got it 5 minutes after.

I will try and find the article and science to back this up but will be hard read it a 2 years ago.
Old 12-31-2008, 11:11 PM   #6
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

I was watching a video on YT by Paul Chek and his opinion was that the magic hour window potential to absorb nutrition and gains from it decreases as it gets further away from the workout ended. He basically wants them getting food in ASAP. I think Charles Poliquin does the same thing.

I used to be lax and could go 45m-90m. Some of those times though, I'd be jittery as hell from my CNS being fried and my body out of available energy. I'd need carbs bad, especially with the longer gymnastics workouts of 2.5-4 hours. Typically I tried to get something in between 15-45m, especially if I had to work or be active immediately after workout.

I used to be real good about whey and glutamine but lately, I just drink milk afterwards and sometimes throw whey in. If I'm out and about I try to go get some milk or food afterwards but will suffice with whey and water and try to eat something with some fat in it and some carbs.

I did try some MuscleMilk the other day and it had been a long time since I had any ( used to love and swear by the stuff for PWO ) and it took some effort just chugging it down. Blech. Now, I really know why the girls couldn't stand me drinking that stuff down post workout. Then again, I drink a lot more milk now than I used to do then.
Old 01-01-2009, 05:11 AM   #7
Sara Fleming

Profile:

I usually get my whey within an hour of my O-lifting or heavy strength lifting sessions and it makes a huge difference for me both in how hungry I get later that day and how long my recovery takes. I think it may also make a difference in my soreness factor after my heavy metcon work, but thats usually a 36 to 48 hour delay and I don't always think about it.
Old 01-01-2009, 08:31 AM   #8
Nick Repertorio

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
After a workout, I like a quart of whole chocolate milk,
I am right with you there, after certain WODs, when I am shaking some, and my body just feels taxed, I head over to the NEX and pick up some chocolate milk, down it, and I feel a lot better. http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/524370(wfs) This article talks about how the carb-to-protein ratio in chocolate milk makes it an ideal PWO drink for glycogen-depleting workouts.
Old 01-02-2009, 12:23 AM   #9
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

I've done the chocolate milk, but I don't really like corn syrup choco milk as the mexican stuff I use with sugar and cocoa and no corn syrup solids. It tastes different, though I hear sugar cane and cocoa is the bomb.

A quart of store bought choco milk is like 120 carbs, ouch. I'm trying to stay on the leaner side of life.

It does go down real easy for 2 bucks which is like 40 some odd grams of protein. Most choco milk tends to be 1% though I have seen whole choco milk out there.
Old 01-02-2009, 02:11 AM   #10
Lee Weiyang

Profile:

Ever tried supplementing BCAAs? My recovery improved after I started drinking them intra-workout.