CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 12-26-2008, 04:03 PM   #1
Jim Brikman

Profile:
Pendlay CF Econ Bar - initial impressions and some questions

I just got the CF Econ Bar (w/f/s) from Pendlay Barbell and used it today for the first time in a workout which included the squat, bench press, deadlift, clean & jerk and snatch. My verdict: the bar is great. My snatch technique is not.

So far, I've noticed a few things that I really like:

1. The knurling felt pretty good on my hands, even when deadlifting almost 400lbs.
2. The bar made virtually no noise when I would drop it after a completed rep or a miss. The only sound was from the bumper plates which made a fairly muffled thud. I don't have room for gym equipment at my own house and am lucky enough that my workplace has a small gym where they let me keep this stuff. Until I got this barbell, all we had was a generic chrome bar which was loud as hell every time I dropped it, so I'm sure my coworkers will appreciate the change. Moreover, I'm sure the clangy noises made by that chrome barbell were a sign it wasn't going to survive much longer, so the Pendlay bar is here just in time.
3. The sleeves have nice spin to them. I suck at olympic lifts, but I did a few light clean & jerks and definitely noticed a difference with the spin as I turned my elbows to get under the bar.

However, there are two things that bother me:

1. The whole barbell seems very dirty and leaves a black residue on everything it touches: my hands were completely black when I was done with my workout. Is this the normal way it comes out of the factory? Is there a good way to clean it up so I don't get this stuff all over my shins, shirt, hands, etc?

2. One side of the shaft seems discolored, having a rusty/copper color to it instead of the black everywhere else. I *don't* think it's actually rust, but is it normal for the shaft to not have a uniformly black coating? I can take some pictures if necessary.
Old 12-26-2008, 04:39 PM   #2
Ardi Shero

Profile:
Re: Pendlay CF Econ Bar - initial impressions and some questions

Pics!!!!
Old 12-26-2008, 04:40 PM   #3
Jared Torres

Profile:

I have owned a pendlay crossfit bar for several months now. Here are my impressions:
THE GOOD
1. The knurling is awesome! Grip is never an issue now with deadlifts, cleans, etc.
2. I definitely noticed the "whip" of the bar compared to a cheapo bar

THE BAD

1. The bar was not straight. As soon as I got the bar, I put it on the ground, and when it rolled it was obviously crooked. Now, it is only slightly bent but this was very dissapointing, and when I e-mailed Glen Pendlay about it I never got a response. The bend can be an issue for back squats as the bar will want to roll to the low spot

Overall, the bar is good and I haven't heard anyone else speak of theirs being bent, so I think you may be safe. But I was pretty dissapointed about mine.
Old 12-26-2008, 04:52 PM   #4
Jim Brikman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardi Shero View Post
Pics!!!!
Heh, alright, I'll try to remember to take some when I'm back at work on Monday.
Old 12-27-2008, 03:30 AM   #5
Christian Salas

Profile:

hmm. I never got any residue from my Pendlay Econ. bar. I also didn't see any discoloration. You might contact Glenn about this. Something not right there I suspect...
Old 12-29-2008, 09:43 AM   #6
Jim Brikman

Profile:

Ok, I took some pictures of the barbell and uploaded them to a Picasa web album - all photos in the album, including the ones linked below, are work/family safe.

The entire barbell, with the discoloration visible on one part of the shaft
Close-up shot of the rusty discoloration
Picture of the black residue that's all over the barbell

Any thoughts or opinions?
Old 12-29-2008, 10:58 AM   #7
Glenn Pendlay

Profile:

Jim,

Shoot me an email concerning this problem, and we will get it fixed. As has been reported on this forum several times, we did change our platers recently because the one we were using went out of business. This did lead to some plating problems, and though the changes caused by the merger between Pendlay Barbell and MuscledriverUSA will bring better quality control in the future, it is possible that the changes in who actually inspects the bars before shipping could lead to a bar here or there shipping that should have been caught, and sent back to the platers. We will fix the problems that occur though. Shoot me an email, and we will figure out what needs to be done.

Glenn
Old 12-29-2008, 11:11 AM   #8
Jim Brikman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Pendlay View Post
Jim,

Shoot me an email concerning this problem, and we will get it fixed. As has been reported on this forum several times, we did change our platers recently because the one we were using went out of business. This did lead to some plating problems, and though the changes caused by the merger between Pendlay Barbell and MuscledriverUSA will bring better quality control in the future, it is possible that the changes in who actually inspects the bars before shipping could lead to a bar here or there shipping that should have been caught, and sent back to the platers. We will fix the problems that occur though. Shoot me an email, and we will figure out what needs to be done.

Glenn
Thanks Glenn. An email will be on the way shortly