CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 11-09-2008, 10:31 AM   #1
Bill Ennis

Profile:
Left Posterior Shoulder Pain

Hi Everyone;
I've been doing Crossfit for ~ 2 years and as a 47 yo have dealt with the usual aches and pains with CrossFit. This one has me puzzled though.
About 4-6 months ago I did a WOD that invloved sets of rowing, pullups and thrusters-I don't remember her name .I believe that started my left shoulder pain/ache.
The pain location is completely posterior , at the apex of the triangle formed by the lats and triceps . I had an orthopaedist friend examine me and he says it's not a rotator cuff tear-thank goodness . But I wonder what is it then ?
I can do pullups with no problem but have been laying off dips and pushups because the pressure I feel from weight bearing posteriorly brings on the ache .
What really hurts is if I simulate swimming backstroke- I can bring my left arm forward with no problem , but once I get past my ear and start going posteriorly , it's as if my shoulder muscles/tendons are catching on something and it hurts . But if I slowly try and warm my shoulders up with a freestyle type motion and then totally relax my shoulders and go backstroke it doesn't bother me.
I'm wondering if maybe I slightly tore my teres minor-the muscle belly not the tendon per se- or another of the posterior muscles when I was rowing and the resultant swelling and fibrosis has led to pain and decrease range of motion.
It's getting better but it's just mysterious to me . My ortho friend thought the muscle tear hypothesis was plausible.
Has anyone had similar symptoms ? Any thoughts ?
Thanks in advance.
Bill