CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 10-16-2008, 02:11 PM   #1
Chris Drewry

Profile:
My online argument with a "trainer" online

I found this link on digg: http://www.divinecaroline.com/articl...myths-debunked (WFS as far as I can tell)

I really lost my cool with the guy when he responded that he would rather put a client on an elliptical, rather than teach them proper form to reduce strain on a clients knees. Esp considering that this article was in the top 3 pages for diggs when i posted.

=-[

Your thoughts?
Old 10-16-2008, 02:26 PM   #2
Robert Callahan

Profile:
Re: My online argument with a "trainer" online

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Drewry View Post
Fitness myths get started by bad trainer placating their clients.
That was my favorite line. I did not think you were out of line or inappropriate at all. You gave legit criticism and well thought out reasons for them.

Keep spreading the truth

-Robert
Old 10-16-2008, 07:00 PM   #3
Tom Brose

Profile:

Actually, i think he handled himself very well and was not an absolutist. Its pretty basic mainstream stuff, but there is worse out there. at least he is open to being educated.
Old 10-16-2008, 07:31 PM   #4
Manuel DeLeon

Profile:

Chris, I think you brought an educated debate with the guy. it did seem he was either not confident in what he was saying, due to lack of sound science and experiance or he wanted to avoid an argument online altogether, probably because of the first reason. In either case, I am really confused about the low impact/ high impact thing when it comes to running. I thought running was a natural movement exercise. I know form is important, it was the first thing taught in junior high school and preached all the way till I graduated high school, but it's not like running was invented 10 years ago. Does this high impact/low impact approach to training really make a difference or are we creating much ado about nothing? Like you said, bad trainers placating their clients.
Old 10-16-2008, 07:33 PM   #5
Chris Drewry

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel DeLeon View Post
Chris, I think you brought an educated debate with the guy. it did seem he was either not confident in what he was saying, due to lack of sound science and experiance or he wanted to avoid an argument online altogether, probably because of the first reason. In either case, I am really confused about the low impact/ high impact thing when it comes to running. I thought running was a natural movement exercise. I know form is important, it was the first thing taught in junior high school and preached all the way till I graduated high school, but it's not like running was invented 10 years ago. Does this high impact/low impact approach to training really make a difference or are we creating much ado about nothing? Like you said, bad trainers placating their clients.
I dont understand the question...

Low/high in relation to running or training in general?
Old 10-16-2008, 08:20 PM   #6
Manuel DeLeon

Profile:

the whole idea of low vs high impact in training.
Old 10-16-2008, 09:31 PM   #7
Chris Drewry

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel DeLeon View Post
the whole idea of low vs high impact in training.

Well in this case, he is making the argument that the only alternative to running on asphalt (which I agree can be high impact), is to place a client who has an aversion to the exercise on a device that does not mimic the original movement (ala low impact) in the least.... all for the sake of making the client comfortable.

I consider this placating.

To Tom:

I find his article to be very overgeneralized; and this is unfortunate because, as you said, this is standard fitness fare. The fact that this is SOP for fitness infuriates me to no end, much like the last day I ever set foot in a globo gym and saw a trainer overseeing a client doing a horrible exercise that mildly resembled a very dangerous sloppy power clean/reverse curl. Upon politely reminding the trainer that his clients form was severely lacking, the trainer replied "I know, I've showed him twice but he wont listen". That was the last day I ever set foot in that place.

I hope the trainer on the blog in reference will take a look at the links that Joel provided, and starts drinking the kool-aid, and helps to change the face of fitness as opposed to feeding the proverbial fitness sheep.

Last edited by Chris Drewry : 10-16-2008 at 09:34 PM.
Old 10-17-2008, 03:02 AM   #8
Matthew Vassallo

Profile:

I didn't see it as that at all. I interpreted it as if you aren't sure if you're running correctly, or if it hurts you to run, maybe you should do something else until you can get with someone who can teach you to run correctly.

the same goes for any exercise, don't you think?

I actually liked the article alot. it is geared for the masses, and it does a great job of hitting the basics.
Old 10-17-2008, 07:13 AM   #9
Manuel DeLeon

Profile:

Thanks chris,
I'm a long distant runner turn crossfit and could never understand this high/low impact stuff. and I do agree with you, what this trainer proposes seems like an avoidance of the problem and not a remedy to it. As for the impact of running, I never considered it an issue. Up to this point, I always thought high/low impact only applied to Aerobic sessions.

In my, not a trainer, opinion, everyone, with the physical ability, can run...we did it as children we can do it now. a direct component to the good ol' fight or flight response to danger. Most running books I have read and running coaches I have talked to, stress form to make running efficient, not so much as to make it possible. Everyone, if they run long enough will generate a more proficient form through time, at least one that is proficient to them. I think the use of a tredmill or other cardio device does nothing for form or adaption to the impact stress associated with running.
I used to have shin problems but a thousand or so squats later and i am good. man, i love crossfit, If I would have done this in High school, I probably could have broken sub 14 minute in cross country and sub 9 minute in the 2 mile.
Old 10-17-2008, 07:55 AM   #10
Matthew Stafford

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Vassallo View Post
I didn't see it as that at all. I interpreted it as if you aren't sure if you're running correctly, or if it hurts you to run, maybe you should do something else until you can get with someone who can teach you to run correctly.

the same goes for any exercise, don't you think?

I actually liked the article alot. it is geared for the masses, and it does a great job of hitting the basics.
This.

I think one problem a lot of CrossFit-ers, and fitness enthusiast, have is they assume everyone is as interested in the methodology and science as they themselves are. Providing simple, sound basics to a person will go a long way to improving their health and getting them interested in learning more.