CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 09-15-2008, 10:51 PM   #1
Brett Whistler

Profile:
Garage Gym equipment for 2

I'm setting up my garage gym for my wife and I. We are new to CF, and VERY out of shape. I'm 44 and my wife is 39. However we are luckily at a point in life where we can afford to outfit a decent gym if we choose. I currently have a Concept2 model C, Precor eliptical trainer, and elite rings. I've also built a pull-up bar/ring mount station that will accommodate 2 sets of rings and 2 people performing pull-ups.

My wife has never done any weight lifting (and isn't very strong), and minimal aerobic fitness. I've done moderate amounts of both, although I haven't done anything for about 6 years. We are both committed to seriously changing our lives, as our young son needs good examples and the opportunity to have parents into his adult life.

I've read the CF Journal articles about garage gyms and suggested equipment. I haven't found anything regarding outfitting a gym for 2 though. I don't want to be an affiliate and don't have intentions at this point for anyone other than my wife or I to work out together. With this in mind, should I buy 2 sets of everything so my wife and I can do WOD's together and keep each other motivated?

My current equipment list is:
-Mats for the entire garage
-Powertec Power Rack w/ Powertec Utility Bench
-Portable spotter pillars, squat stands, flat bench (2nd power rack)
-Yukon Fitness GHD
-Hi-Temp bumpers (unless Garage Gym store comes out with theirs)
-Aluma-lite olympic bar for my wife
-Troy Texas power bar for me (I liked the no maintenance idea)
-Plyo boxes (2 sets similar to the York stackables) each 45" total
-Dumbbells-a set of hexes (I currently have the Bowflex SelectTech)
-2 climbing ropes
-Elite rings (2nd set for wife)
-Parallettes (2 sets)
-2 jump ropes
-Garage Gym medicine balls (2 each of 10 & 15 lbs)
-A full set of BodyBars for my wife???
-Olympic plate/bar racks
-Another Concept2

What do you all think? I've been known to go overboard. Am I getting carried away? What do you think of my equipment list? More, less, different?
Old 09-16-2008, 03:33 AM   #2
Jill Zimmerman

Profile:

Re: Garage Gym equipment for 2

You can always do stuff in rounds. While you are doing one part of the WOD she can be doing the other rather than both on you on the same piece of equipment. I would not get another C-2. Not sure you need all those plyo boxes. I would think one set would do and the York ones are hugely expensive although big you might both be able to hit it from both sides. Although I have a single body bar and these things are not cheap, I would not get more at this point. They have a radius much larger than an Olympic bar so although low weight wise they are useful - not so much for lifting. You can do lots of good stuff with them but not Crossfit. I would invest in smaller bumpers, a 5 lbs. set and some 2.5 metals and fractional plates. Bands for pullups and other stuff, and kettlebells did you mention them, oops have to run to work. Feel free to pm me if you want to know more. I bought almost all that stuff you are looking at. No d-balls on your list either? That was a big list hope I addressed what you listed, forgive me if I didn't. I can't figure out how to get back to see the post. I guess I should have included it in this - live and learn.
Old 09-16-2008, 06:40 AM   #3
Nick Lavato

Profile:

I have 2 pretty decent setups for 2 people (one at work and one at home). You really don't need 2 of everything. We started the one at work buying 2 of everything, and found that for most of the workouts, we were doing them one at a time anyway.
Old 09-16-2008, 07:51 AM   #4
Matthew Meyer

Profile:

Sounds like a good list so far.

Pull-up bar and rings - good idea to have 2 sets of those, they get used a lot
Squat/power rack - don't need more than 1 of these. Get a pair of squat stands to supplement it though so you can do the strength workouts together.
Olympic bars - get a mens and a womens. Get a second set of each if you feel so inclined, you cant have too many barbells.
Bumper plates - brand doesn't really matter, get more than you think you need.
Change plates - smaller weight increments. It gets frustrating when you don't SEE any strength gains because you only have 10lb increments.
Plyo-boxes - no need for 2 of them, they take up a lot of space, and two people can share one (Going on opposite sides together).
Kettlebells - 1, 1.5, 2 pood and misc lighter weights. No need to get more than 1 of each weight.
Medicine balls - get an assortment of weights from 5lb to 15 or 20lbs
GHD - can't give any recommendation as I don't have one. But you only need one.
Climbing ropes - only 1 is necessary, but if you have the room the second one can be pulled out of the way pretty easily.
Jump ropes - cheap, and don't take up any space, get 2.
Paralletes - again, don't take up too much space, get 2.
Rower - 1
Dumbbells - nice to have, but the KBs can take their place if you want.

Misc stuff to consider
Barbell clamps
Pull-up assistance bands
Bar & plate storage
Music/stereo system
Chalk
Video camera (probably not needed since you can coach each other)
Old 09-16-2008, 11:54 AM   #5
Henry Miller

Profile:

On the heavy lift days you should be spotting each other anyway, so other than a lighter bar if needed, you won't need 2 sets of weight. However some of the WODs are 3 different lifts at 3 different weights so you may want 1 set of weights and 3 bars. Of course when you get good enough to do the WODs with a lesser scale you will need an extra set of weights, but this allows you to push that part of the budget out a bit.

Men like the compitition with their wife, so you may want 2 sets of everything so you can compete. However beware of beating your wife too often as it may discourage her. (unless she is a genetic freak who can keep up with men - this rarely happens)
Old 09-16-2008, 05:42 PM   #6
Chad James

Profile:

Can you explain how you made the pull ups bar?
Cost?
Can you kip on it?

Thanks!
Old 09-16-2008, 08:03 PM   #7
Brett Whistler

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad James View Post
Can you explain how you made the pull ups bar?
Cost?
Can you kip on it?

Thanks!
Chad...I copied the idea from some pictures posted in these forums. I couldn't find the thread, so I'll repost the photo I downloaded (I wish I could give credit to the original builder). I don't have any pictures of my own. The pull-up section of my bar is longer (for 2 people) and is lower than the pictured bar. You could make it as low as needed for kipping. The two other bars are closer to the ceiling on my bars...I use these for my rings so want them as close to the ceiling as possible.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Home gym 3.jpg
Views:	1573
Size:	129.6 KB
ID:	2552  
Old 09-16-2008, 08:05 PM   #8
Brett Whistler

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Miller View Post
On the heavy lift days you should be spotting each other anyway, so other than a lighter bar if needed, you won't need 2 sets of weight. However some of the WODs are 3 different lifts at 3 different weights so you may want 1 set of weights and 3 bars. Of course when you get good enough to do the WODs with a lesser scale you will need an extra set of weights, but this allows you to push that part of the budget out a bit.

Men like the compitition with their wife, so you may want 2 sets of everything so you can compete. However beware of beating your wife too often as it may discourage her. (unless she is a genetic freak who can keep up with men - this rarely happens)
Thanks for the input Henry. Competing with my wife is probably not a good idea. She would definitely get discouraged...and ****ed. Thanks for the heads up on multiple bars rather than more weight. That sounds smart.
Old 09-16-2008, 08:47 PM   #9
Brett Whistler

Profile:

Thanks Jill, Nick, Mathew, and Henry. Based on everyones input so far I've updated my list of equipment to purchase.

-Mats for the entire garage
-Powertec Power Rack w/ Powertec Utility Bench
-Portable spotter pillars, squat stands, flat bench
-Yukon Fitness GHD
-Hi-Temp bumpers (unless Garage Gym store comes out with theirs)
-2 1/2 and 5 lb steel plates
-Aluma-lite olympic bar for my wife (2 or 3)
-Troy Texas power bar for me (I liked the no maintenance idea) (2 or 3)
-Plyo boxes (1 set similar to the York stackables) 45" total
-Dumbbells-a set of hexes
-Kettlebells-a variety of weights
-1 climbing ropes
-Elite rings (2nd set for wife)
-Parallettes (2 sets)
-2 jump ropes
-Garage Gym medicine balls (1 each of 5, 10, 15, & 20 lbs)
-Olympic plate/bar storage racks
-Lock jaw barbell collars (1 set for each barbell)
-Weight vest
-Gym chalk
-Heavy punching bag
-Pull-up assistance bands
-Wall mounted interval timer

Anything else? Anything I shouldn't get? Anything you wished you had? With regards to manufacturer for the power rack, squat stands, and portable spotters...any suggestions? Any comments on the PowerTec equipment?
Old 09-17-2008, 03:15 AM   #10
Jill Zimmerman

Profile:

I have a York, GHD and love it. It appears to be more substantial than the Yukon (I think there is a thread about welds coming loose?) and I believe it has more of a variety of adjustments on it, which might be handy for you and your wife if you aren't similar sizes. Allison Foreman is the way to go for any York stuff. I ended up getting the lion's share of my stuff from her and shipping for everything over and above the GHD was free. Shipping is a b*tch on all this heavy stuff. Saved me quite a bit and she discounts to Crossfitters 30%. York squat stand is great, very sturdy. I got bars, some plates, GHD and squat stand and bench from her all for the shipping price of GHD alone.

Fractional plates for women (and some men like them too) from Iron Woody are great to maintain linear progression. Or you can use big washers. Plate mates are outrageously expensive and not worth it.

I would definitely not get two benches. Mine is a pain to move around to get to other things. I wish I could stand it on end or something.

I would get different kinds of bars for different purposes. Sorta like cars and bicycles you want different ones if you have more than one. Bars with whip and without. A Rippetoe bar is on my list. My four bars are all different for different purposes.

I have cheap spring clamps which I curse at like a sailor whenever I have to use them and muscle clamps which are like butter to use and I love. I would get more if I had the money.

I got a foam roller from Netfitco, I think is the company. Great prices great service.

I guess all I need now is a video camera set up because I can't see what I am doing. You have your wife's eyes. Not sure how competent my 13 year old is at telling me what's wrong.

I would get a dip stand made like the one in SS, may still but supposedly dip handles are on my squatcage that has not gotten here yet. We shall see if they are too far apart. I have narrow shoulders.

I like the plyo boxes with sloping sides better than the big flat ones. Just personal preference. And I don't care for the ones that are "open" like a table at all. Solid seems better to be jumping on - I know irrational. I would have several risers made for the one I have also if I had some money to burn. Although I just read something Rippetoe wrote that people who can't jump will probably never improve. So there may be no hope, and no need for risers hahah.