CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 01-19-2006, 02:03 PM   #1
greg bass

Profile:

I would like to help train a youth football team, made up of 7th and 8th graders. Practice is 4 to 5 days a week, 2 hours each day, on a field with no access to weights or a pullup bar. There will be 20 - 28 boys on the team.

Please help me with suggestions in two areas:

proposed training routines that can be accomplished with no equipment, and...

information or links to information about proper warmup, and proposed warmup routines (I have noticed alot of static stretching before the practice and games, which I believe hurts the performance)

Thanks for your time and knowledge.
Old 01-19-2006, 07:36 PM   #2
Dan MacDougald

Profile:
Greg,
This is what I do with a college rugby team

Warmup:
Samson Stretch
Back Extension x 10 (Superman)
Squat x 10
Situp x 10
Pushup x 10
Repeat 3 x
Handstands with partners, 20 sec each x 2
Forward Rolls
Backward Rolls
Breakfalls
Then metabolic fitness, which varies. Take couplets or triplets and do different things. Tonight it was 10 pushups, 15 situps, 20 squats-as many rounds as you can in 10 minutes. I do a lot of Tabata intervals with squats, burpees, pushups, situps. Short interval sprints are also good, set up relay races and manipulate the rest period by the number of players on each relay team. Give them a ball to pass to the guy at the head of the line.
Tackling circles are also good. Have a guy tackle others in his group as many times as possible in 1 minute, then put another guy in the middle.

Hope this helps

Old 01-20-2006, 11:13 AM   #3
Jeff Martin

Profile:
Greg,
We have been training a youth soccer team for a couple of seasons with CrossFit style training. The kids say its always "more sacry" when I show up without equipment. Our forum has a a kids CrossFit section ( http://forum.brandxmartialarts.com/viewforum.php?f=19 ), and we publish a monthly CFkids publication with games and workouts as well which might be useful.
Old 01-25-2006, 12:01 AM   #4
greg bass

Profile:

Thanks guys.

Any ideas on exercises they could do to concentrate on the pulling muscles since they won't have weights or a pullup bar?

Tug of war might work. What else?
Old 01-25-2006, 05:55 AM   #5
Karl Geissler

Profile:
Greg-

First of all, I have had athletes do their pull-ups underneath the stadium bleachers (if available).

Throwing med-balls with triple extensions is a fair substitute. I will mix some "quarterback" shot guns with the ball being swung from over the head and then between the legs.

Bear crawling in different directions should get some pulling also.

Just a couple of thoughts...
Old 01-25-2006, 07:10 AM   #6
Keith Wittenstein

Profile:
Partner workouts are great too.

Wheelbarrow walks, Buddy carries, buddy squats,

partner pullups/bodyrows (one partner squats over the other, the bottom person lays down and holds the up partner's hands and pulls himself up heels on the floor).

Partner back extensions (one person turtles up on hands and knees, the other partner hooks his heels under the down partner's armpits and lays face down facing his partner's feet hanging over).

Partner bench press (one person lays down face up, other assumes pushup position on top north to south, the bottom pushes up on the up person's chest, the up person gives help by doing a pushup).

Guard situps (from BJJ- one person standing, the other person jumps up and wraps his legs around the waist of the partner. Lean back and situp).

You'll build toughness and teamwork quick. Combine these into routines that pump up the metabolism: tabatas, sprints, circuits, chippers, etc.

Don't forget the basics:
pushups, HSPUs, squats, pistols, jump squats, deck squats, lunges, running, sprints, indian runs, shuttle runs, situps, back extensions, bridges, finding stuff to throw and carry: logs, stones, bricks, bags of equipment.