CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 04-09-2008, 03:09 PM   #1
Chris Bate

Profile:
31 Days till PFT Challenge, coming out of SS cycle

Hi all,

I just happened to stumble upon the Navy SEAL Fitness challenge website (WFS). It's coming to a location very close to me (Dearborn, MI) in 31 days, and I have a compelling urge to go win a t-shirt (based on your score you get a different color t-shirt). For those of you who don't want to look at the link, basically you take a PFT consisting of situps, pushups, pullups, a 1.5 mile run, and a 500 yard swim.

Now for the big hic-up: I'm on an SS cycle. It's been about 6-weeks and I wouldn't mind switching up my routine for 4 weeks to get in shape for this event.

In order to meet "competetive" standards I need:
500yard swim in 10:00
80 pushups in 2 minutes
80 situps in 2 minutes
11+ pullups (not a problem)
1.5 mile run in 10:00

All lifting goals would be set aside to meet these goals.

I'm not so worried about the pushups/pullups/situps numbers - those shouldn't be much of a problem. The challenge is being conditioned enough to handle the events one after another after 6 weeks of SS, and I need information on how to get my running and swim times down as low as possible as fast as possible.

I'll be starting from square one with swimming, which I have little experience with. Any advice? They have a video on what seems to be basic "total immersion" techniques and swimming the Combat Side Stroke, and I have to use either breast or side stroke.

My initial instinct is to start following the WOD with extra swimming/ running on the side, or perhaps an MEBB routine to keep progressing in the lifts.

Thoughts?

Oh, and anyone else from the area coming? We could register for the same time .
Old 04-09-2008, 03:44 PM   #2
Scott Allen Hanson

Profile:
Re: 31 Days till PFT Challenge, coming out of SS cycle

If you can, I'd try to get some coaching on the swimming. I'm a former (very former) competitive swimmer and am only passingly familiar with the combat swimmer stroke. The breaststroke is the most technical of the competitive strokes, so would be harder to become proficient than the side stroke (IMHO).

If this is a serious goal, its pretty specific and I'd probably skip the WOD in favor of a focus on swimming, running (400's, 800's, and 1.5 miles) and maybe Tabata protocols of pull-ups, push-ups, and sit-ups (maybe a six or eight round Tabata every day, rotating, with one off day a week).

If you prefer to maintain your SS gains, or minimize the regression, a MEBB might be good. Try Swim-Tabatas, ME (SS), Run-Tabatas, Rest, or something similar. At least that's what I'd do.
Old 04-09-2008, 03:52 PM   #3
Tim Newsome

Profile:

Yes, learn to swim. Technique is a huge part of swimming. Get started on this ASAP. As for training, I would do the full test twice between now and then. Learn to pace yourself.
I'd also lean towards doing higher-resistance, lower rep versions of the components.
I'm not sure how to do that for swimming.
Do weighted push ups.
Weighted sit ups, or GHD sit ups.
Weighted pull ups, but if you've got it in the bag don't worry. (Kipping is probably not allowed.)
Sprints.

Don't bother with LSD. You're training for something that should take you 30 minutes to complete.

Take it easy the week before the test, with no exercise at all the 2 or 3 days before it.

Good luck,
Tim
Old 04-09-2008, 04:36 PM   #4
Chris Bate

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Allen Hanson View Post
If this is a serious goal, its pretty specific and I'd probably skip the WOD in favor of a focus on swimming, running (400's, 800's, and 1.5 miles) and maybe Tabata protocols of pull-ups, push-ups, and sit-ups (maybe a six or eight round Tabata every day, rotating, with one off day a week).

If you prefer to maintain your SS gains, or minimize the regression, a MEBB might be good. Try Swim-Tabatas, ME (SS), Run-Tabatas, Rest, or something similar. At least that's what I'd do.
Thanks for the idea, this set up might be the one I go with.

Unfortunately, I may have to learn from videos because I don't have the money to pay for lessons (I'm in high school ).

Anyone know what a constructive swim session would look like? I'm thinking 45min-hour of technique drills and then a workout of intervals...
Old 04-09-2008, 06:05 PM   #5
Scott Allen Hanson

Profile:

Chris,

The 45 min to 1 hour might be a little long for technique drills, at least after your first session or two. But definitely focus on these first.

As far as training, I'd suggest something like 10x50 yards at the pace you want to swim your 500. You could even start with 20 x 25 yards, or rotate these two with 5 x 100 yrds. Rest as little as possible after each interval such that you can still maintain your race pace. FYI, most indoor pools are 25 yards long, so a 50 is two lengths, etc.
Old 04-09-2008, 07:24 PM   #6
Robert Gonzalez

Profile:

Combat Sidestroke: http://youtube.com/watch?v=4lUHudMN1TU
WFS

I think I'm gonna hit up the one in Chicago, but I may get out to Dearborn for that, depending on school here in Ann Arbor.

I'd suggest following the WOD on the forum in specialtactics.com; it'll get you set for this pretty well cause it incorporates every aspect of this test.
Old 04-10-2008, 12:53 PM   #7
Chris Bate

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Gonzalez View Post
This is the full video, I believe. WFS
Old 04-11-2008, 06:53 AM   #8
Nick Bayma

Profile:

Hi Chris!

I'll be at the SEAL Fitness Challenge. I'm registered for the 8 am session. I'll be the one splashing all over the place in the water, as I too have training in swim technique. Hope to see you around, and good luck!
Old 04-12-2008, 07:48 PM   #9
Chris Bate

Profile:

Well, the 8 am session is full, so I'll be in one of the later ones. Good luck to you too!
Old 05-10-2008, 12:02 PM   #10
Nick Bayma

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Bate View Post
Well, the 8 am session is full, so I'll be in one of the later ones. Good luck to you too!
Well, didn't get the blue shirt, but I got a brown. 10:47 swim (not bad for 1 swim session in the past year), 80 push ups, 82 sit ups, 17 pull ups, and 10:47 on the run. It was a great time, and David Goggins was leading the 8 am group. He seemed to be a great guy, and had some really cool stories. Lots of people were there, I think they'll have some photos of me in my Crossfit shirt!