CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 03-11-2008, 11:27 AM   #1
Bruce Duco

Profile:
Morning exercise better than evening exercise?

I used to work out in the evenings after work. But, since the birth of my daughter, I have been waking up around 5am, and doing my xfit then. I don't eat before I work out. I feel great now, with more energy during the day than I used to have. A friend of mine told me that's because working out in the am is better for you than working out in the evening.

Thoughts?
Old 03-11-2008, 12:04 PM   #2
Joe Butler

Profile:
Re: Morning exercise better than evening exercise?

Hello Bruce,

I too prefer morning workouts. There's a health benefit that we avail ourselves of by doing so.

During sleep, our bodies release more growth hormone and that level stays elevated for about an hour after rising. This is increased with intense exercise, like Crossfit. I like to get up, do a little tai chi to get my blood flowing, do the WOD and then take an hour and just move around, either walking or just doing stuff around the apartment. I never eat until an hour after I've finished my workout. The higher level of growth hormone makes your cells more insulin resistant making you more likely to store breakfast as fat.

I feel the same way after these good workouts: physically and mentally more energetic and sharp through the day. Art Devany's blog has a lot on this subject--http://www.arthurdevany.com
Old 03-11-2008, 12:25 PM   #3
John Seiler

Profile:

On the other hand, performance peaks later in the day. But, really, the best time for people living in the real world is when you can work into to your schedule. Relax, enjoy your routine, and give yourself credit for doing what counts.
Old 03-11-2008, 03:08 PM   #4
Wade Smith

Profile:

I used to do my pre-CF workouts at 5am. Now I can't even think about working out until mid-afternoon to early-evening. I'm more intense (and less "creaky") later in the day.
Old 03-11-2008, 04:53 PM   #5
Gregory L. Johnson

Profile:

I usually workout after work and sometimes as late as 10 pm (which is usually because I was at work until 9). Since I go to sleep after 12 I still have plenty of time to wind down either surfing the net or watching late night talk shows.

One advantage of working out in the evening is if you get stress relief from your daytime job.

The best time to work out is when it fits your schedule and when your are most motivated.
Old 03-12-2008, 06:24 AM   #6
Jason M Struck

Profile:

you tend to hit a mental and physical peak around 9am, but that is when you wake up ?when?

i am thinking it's meant to represent 1-3 hours after rising. You hit a second mental peak in the later evening ~9pm.

if you have a hard time working out early (which is better for practical reasons and psychological reason) you need to make your warmup more comprehensive and more intense.
Old 03-12-2008, 06:42 AM   #7
Tim Luby

Profile:

I think waking up and working out can actually make you more focused. Why? Because before any of the other B.S. we have to deal with in on a daily basis comes our way, the very first thing you're doing is working out. This allows for minimal mental distractions and total focus on the workout.

I wake up thinking about one thing: kickin' some butt in the garage.
Old 03-14-2008, 02:12 PM   #8
Larry A Henrikson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Butler View Post
Hello Bruce,
I never eat until an hour after I've finished my workout. The higher level of growth hormone makes your cells more insulin resistant making you more likely to store breakfast as fat.
As far as I now, the best time for a post-workout meal is IMMEDIATELY after a workout. Your blood is flowing and your body is craving nutrition for the burned out muscles. Any bodybuilder will tell you your post workout shake has to be within 15 minutes of the end of the workout or it won't absorb completely. After every workout it's either a protein shake or a small meal that's mainly protein. Then I usually eat again an hour later WHEN you eat is just as important as what you eat. I try to go bed with a small meal in my stomach or 12oz of milk because your body heals the most when asleep. If the stomach is empty, where will the body get the resources to repair muscles?

Personally, I love training mid morning around 10am (I work nights). I'll eat breakfast around 9 (about 400-500 cals) and then go to town. If I miss the breakfast, I clearly feel the lack of energy.