CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 02-07-2008, 02:04 PM   #1
Júlíus Magnússon

Profile:

To scale or not to scale

I did Fran today. My time was 12:36. My previous times are 13:34 and 14:46.

I've been doing it as rx'd. A little heavier, actually, because I'm using kg plates; 45kg thrusters (99lbs).

I keep getting seriously disappointed by my time and I'm starting to think if I might get quicker gains by scaling instead of pushing for rx'd.

At this rate it's going to be a while before my Fran time is acceptable.

I used to CrossFit during December. Took a break in January and I'm going to be following the main page religiously now (four days behind, though). I just wanted to get Fran out of the way.

So what would you do? Scale and go for 6-8 minutes? Or keep pushing it as rx'd and just gradually get the time down?
Old 02-07-2008, 02:27 PM   #2
Tom Fetter

Profile:
Re: To scale or not to scale

IMO, it depends what your stumbling block is.

If the more dominant problem (as it is for me) is shoulder strength ... then I'd keep working at the full weight, and recognize that for you, Fran is currently more of a strength exercise. My crappy shoulder strength in Fran etc. is one of the big reasons I'm currently off WODS doing a strength cycle ... will be coming back more capable, I hope.

If OTOH your pressing strength is no issue, then probably the huge met-con cost of the thruster movement as a whole is what's wearing you down. And yeah, maybe scale for that - but not too far. You'll want to keep your heart rate high for a long-ish period, to force adaptation.

IMO, your progress on Fran since December is just fine. Unless you see an obvious glaring imbalance in either strength or met-con, I'd be inclined to keep tracking your progress, and try to develop patience.

t.
Old 02-07-2008, 02:48 PM   #3
Susie Rosenberg

Profile:

First thing is, you are seeing improvement in your Fran times as is; keep training Crossfit and your Fran times will continue to improve just naturally.

If you have a bee in your bonnet about getting your time down, present your body with some variability in the task. Schedule a "Fran" workout a couple of times in the next month, once with lighter weights and push the time, and once as Rx'd and see what happens.

Or, try a set of lighter-weight Tabata thrusters followed by an 8 round set of tabata pullups.

Or, give yourself 20 minutes for AMRAP of 10 Thrusters followed by 10 pullups.

Or just keep training and what your Fran times go down without special attention!

Susie

Last edited by Susie Rosenberg : 02-07-2008 at 02:53 PM.
Old 02-07-2008, 03:09 PM   #4
Júlíus Magnússon

Profile:

Tom Fetter, it's definitely metcon that's screwing me over. I'm pretty sure I was at max heart rate for all but the first few seconds of the 12:36 just earlier. I'm guessing if I suck it up, my body will adapt. Not doing more than a single metcon this year probably has something to do with the lame time as well.

Susie, I definitely don't want to specialize for Fran. I guess I'll just follow the WOD and mess Fran up next time around.