CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 01-02-2009, 10:11 AM   #121
Lurene Grenier

Profile:
Re: Crossfit is the best program for Bodybuilding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lester View Post
Yeah, if you're like me, Skibicki, you only like doing that at home in front of the mirror on a lonely Friday night.

Is it still so lonely with all those other guys there judging you? Pics plz.
Old 01-02-2009, 10:21 AM   #122
Eric Lester

Profile:

Sometimes I broadcast it via webcam, I'll be sure and post the link here next time. Warning, it may not be w/f/s
Old 01-02-2009, 11:45 AM   #123
Shawn Casey

Profile:

I swore we just had an all out brawl about this a couple months ago with coach posting. Let me see if I can find it. I posted some CF'ers pics and somebody posted some natural BB. I always use Jolie as an example. She had an artice in the CFJ with a pic of her looking supermodel skinny. She put on alot of muscle on CF. Greg Amunson has been doing CF for 7 years or so. Look at that dude. Dutch has gotten pretty thick. I think we need to stop arguing about what is greater than what for what. CF is great for what I do plus I get the added benefit of looking good. Personally, I think a hybrid cf plus compound strength type thing would produce the best results as far as BB, after an SS and anpp phase, of course.
Old 01-02-2009, 04:10 PM   #124
Richard Doughty

Profile:

id love to read that thread if anyone finds it
Old 01-02-2009, 04:30 PM   #125
Shawn Casey

Profile:

http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=38880&page=7 work/family safe

Yeah, here's the very long, drawn out brawl. There were some other fights going on in this thread, but here is where I posted
Old 01-02-2009, 07:29 PM   #126
Daniel Younger

Profile:

one FINAL note about the 300 actors... Butler said he stopped training altogether for a year afterward! that's just lazy and downright unacceptable.
Old 01-03-2009, 09:19 AM   #127
Adolfo Riveron

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Younger View Post
one FINAL note about the 300 actors... Butler said he stopped training altogether for a year afterward! that's just lazy and downright unacceptable.
I've also heard he was extremely overtrained to a point you and I probably havent experienced. His body needed the rest most likely. When overtrained, you lose all motivation to do anything.
Old 01-03-2009, 12:36 PM   #128
Jonathan Cathcart

Profile:

This is such a stupid argument.

Comparing top level CFers to the average gym goer is ridiculous. If you want a fair comparison you must compare the high end with the high end. Elite level CFers do not and would not get the same mass as a high level bodybuilder, period.

There are a bunch of silly arguments that bodybuilding is always based around split routines and isolation movements which is certainly a load. Most top level bodybuilders are doing Squats, Deadlifts, Pull-ups, Bench Press, Front Squats, etc. and using more weight than the majority of people here.

Hell, CrossFit isn't even as good for mass gain as Strongman training or Powerlifting. Unless you have a massive strength bias going along with some repetition movements, you're not going to be able to compete with these people on a purely hypertrophic level.

Is it really CrossFit if your focus is so far away from the original intent? If you have a heavy strength bias with some conditioning and some rep work you're pretty much doing modern high-end powerlifting (+ some O-Lifts) or strongman training (minus some odd objects). CrossFit is a GPP program. It will give you great GPP. If you specify CrossFit too much it isn't CrossFit anymore and the argument is totally void.

Yeah, everyone knows that using heavy compound movements in a full-body program will make you gain mass more quickly... up to a point. At some point it's too hard to recover from and you need to start splitting things up a bit: a la Powerlifting or Bodybuilding. You're still doing these heavy, compound movements, but they're spread out so you have a longer time to recover and some more isolation movements are thrown in to ensure that all muscle groups are being hit HARD.

Honestly, why should anyone have to prove that Bodybuilding is better for gaining mass than CrossFit? Prove that CrossFit is better for gaining mass. Show us some top CrossFit athletes that are comparable to top natural bodybuilders and maybe the argument will have some merit.
Old 01-03-2009, 11:09 PM   #129
Tim Donahey

Profile:

This is such a silly argument. I've never heard of anybody using Xfit as a means to an end of bodybuilding. Sure a lot of female physique competitors use Xfit, but they aren't "bodybuilders." 10 lbs of added muscle mass (or less) on a female physique competitor, coupled with low bodyfat, is usually all they will ever need. And any male using Xfit with a true "bodybuilder physique," I'm talking 30-40+ lbs of added muscle, didn't get there using pure Xfit.

Look at any Xfit video, any one, most of the guys don't "look" like they lift at all. Most have a swimmers physique. That will not win you any bodybuilding trophies.

Of course a lot of this has to do with diet... and most Xfitters don't eat enough to add mass. The Zone is as much a part of Xfit as Fran, but the way most people implement it just isn't enough food to gain muscle on.

Whatever. I wish this argument would die already.
Old 01-03-2009, 11:16 PM   #130
Joshua Murphy

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Donahey View Post
Whatever. I wish this argument would die already.
Tim, you are not alone...

"Warp Spasm" courtesy of http://www.anne-madden.com/LeBPages/...bration21.html (WFS)