CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 03-17-2004, 05:02 PM   #1
Parth Shah

Profile:
I almost feel scared for asking this, but how can I create my own crossfit workouts?
Old 03-17-2004, 06:31 PM   #2
Geoff Sample

Profile:

Parth, don't be scared! Most everyone here is friendly.

Is there a reason you want to create your own? The archives are full of great workout combinations, the creativity of which would be hard to match.

Have you read the Foundations? How about the free Crossfit Journal defining Fitness? Those are both well worth any time you invest in them, reading them and then thinking about the contents.

If you are intent on creating your own, may I recommend the February 2003 Crossfit Journal (find a link here). There, you'll find a theoretical template for combining modalities into your own workouts - still can't touch the WOD, but I hope this helps!
Old 03-17-2004, 06:41 PM   #3
Craig Nelson

Profile:  
To quote Coach, if I may:

"Couplets of fundamental movements, especially weightlifting or throwing exercises combined with classical calisthenic movements, are an inexhaustible source of super effective workouts. In addition to mixing weightlifting and calisthenic movements selecting for antagonist functions further assures the completeness of the pairing and its impact.
We can control reps, sets, pace, time, rest, load, and ordering of sets endlessly to create unique stressors within even a single combination of exercises.

Examples:
Wall ball and rope climb
Bench press and pull-up
Cleans and push-ups
Deadlifts and handstand push-ups(db press)
Front squats and muscle-ups
Kettlebell swing and sit-ups
Snatch and dip"

I still like to do the WOD sometimes, but for some reason rolling my own appeals to me, and it was from the above quote that I started the rolling. I did the posted WOD for well over a month first.
Old 03-17-2004, 07:14 PM   #4
Kevin Roddy

Profile:
I personally have started following Roger Harrell's advice, and started doing HIIT based around gymnastics/tricking movements. I find that this provides for sufficient workout variation while still allowing me to focus on what I really need/want for my sport.

Of course, the WOD rocks too. I just kind of like doing my own thing sometimes.
Old 03-17-2004, 09:17 PM   #5
Robert Wolf

Profile:
I just finished doing a couplet of 30" box jumps x 20 mixed with wand stand walks for 40'. Once you get a feel for the WOD I think it is fun to construct your own. It is hard for most folks (myself included) to hit the variety of the WOD. I tend to do what I like/am good at and this can become a problem.
Robb
Old 03-18-2004, 04:52 AM   #6
Parth Shah

Profile:
before the WOD's I used to have my own Random system. I would simply have lists of exercises and types of workouts and number of exercises and just randomly choose them by randomly counting everythin off. But the problem was that there was no rythm, thus only about one out of every five or six workouts were challenging. I included calisthenic, medicine ball work, and martial arts drills.

Ok, thanks guys. I think I'll probably center my workouts around my goals. My weight room goals are:

1) Upright Rows w/40's x12
2) Incline Press w/50's x8
3) One-arm Row w/60's x8
4) Bent Raise/Rows w/30's x12
5) 10 Pullups

And my calisthenic goals at home are:
6) 30 Haybalers
7) 100 Leg Raises
8) 40 Chinees
9) 5 One-arm Pushups
10) 200 Squats

I know, that;s a lot of goals. But I figure for variety, I need a lot of goals. Eeach workout can focus on a different gaol. For example if I begin with Upright Rows, than I can do the 5-3-3-2-2-2-1-1-1-1 workout to get my strength up. This would be easier for me because I can do uprights with Dumbbells, because the squat racks are always hogged. People doing stupid parallels and bicep curls.

Old 03-18-2004, 07:26 AM   #7
Larry Cook

Profile:
Parth,
I think its great that you are interested in developing your own workouts. I think for some people this is a great motivational tool. The two most recent CFJs have some good info regarding general WOD protocol.

I would second some comments from both Craig and Rob ... Craig notes "selecting for antagonist functions" and I think this is a critical part of the couplet design ... Rob notes that he has a tendancy to do what he likes/is good at. I have that same problem, which is one reason why I try and stick to the posted WODs.

To quote Coach one more time "The magic is in the movements, the art is in the programming."

Good luck, have fun and let us know how it works out.
Larry
Old 03-18-2004, 08:00 AM   #8
Kevin Roddy

Profile:
Parth - You're Builder from PlanetJubei, right? This is Kitosho. I remember that randomization article, it was great - I think you had a pretty good system outlined there.
Old 03-18-2004, 08:35 AM   #9
Geoff Sample

Profile:

Parth, one of the calesthenic goals on your list was 30 haybalers. What's a haybaler?
Old 03-18-2004, 12:39 PM   #10
Ben Gimball

Profile:

Geoff,

Didn't she win an Academy Award? Oh no wait...that's Halle Barre.