CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 06-02-2007, 03:01 PM   #1
Howard Wilcox

Profile:
So, my wife was selling some home-made sea-glass jewelry at a home and garden show in DuPont, WA and I wondered over to the AnytimeFitness gym. It's definitely not a big box by any definition. I'm not good at size estimates (I should have asked) but I would say it was 40'x40' up to 50'x50'. Lots of machines (life fitness), lots of treadmills, ellipticals, and bikes and quite a few dumbbells. A fair number of plates (mostly for putting on the machines). There was one power-rack/squat-rack (hammer strength) and one bench.

I asked the lady how much the capital cost was and she said $250K. I almost fell out. The membership was $40/mth and she said they want to limit membership to 1500 people. I'm not sure how close they are to that right now since I didn't ask. There is also an 18mth contract.

Most crossfit affiliates can be extremely well stocked for 10% of that startup...and would probably be happy with 10% of that membership.

And that's not even considering the results.

I found the whole thing very interesting.

howard
Old 06-02-2007, 04:24 PM   #2
James Falkner

Profile:
1. Do you save much money in insurance if you have all "safe" (read: ineffective) machines like nautilus, etc?

2. Was this place independently owned? Did they take out a giant loan or is there a bigger corp. behind them?

3. Ain't it sad they can draw 1500 people :-/ with shiny stuff.. kinda like fishing with spinners :-)
Old 06-02-2007, 05:08 PM   #3
Howard Wilcox

Profile:
Hey James,

1. Very interesting question. I'm interested in the answer if any affiliates know. I would be a little surprised if there is a distinction. I do know that gymnastics insurance is supposedly through the roof, at least according to a friend of mine who is a gymnastics coach. I wonder if this has caused any affiliates trouble since coach uses the term 'gymnastics' to include pullups/pushups/etc...but not back handsprings and other stuff that insurance companies would be really worried about??

2. Yes, it is a franchise but it is independently owned and the person there said the trainer bought the equipment outright (I asked if they had to take out a business loan or something). Of course I then complimented the nice equipment (it was as far as equipment goes)...especially the Hammer Strength Power Rack. :biggrin:

3. Yup...assuming they reach that goal, which I suspect they will. What is totally foreign to me is that there are many treadmills lining the front window and a few people were on them. It was a beautiful 80 degree day here. Whiskey-Tango-Foxtrot!?! In the middle of February in the pacific-northwest, sure, but today it was gorgeous. I just don't get people.

They do benefit by being a local, small-box type operation in a planned community (DuPont). I'm not sure how many of the military people they will capture (Ft. Lewis just to the north)...but their families, retired folks, other residents, and maybe local employees (the town has a large State Farm corporate office, Intel Corporation, and is the new corporate headquarters of Venture bank). Realistically, they should do well.

howard
Old 06-02-2007, 08:14 PM   #4
James Falkner

Profile:
I called around all the local gymnastics places. Most of them did NOT offer adult classes because of insurance costs. I guess insurance on adult gymnastics is way more than kids gymnastics. I guess the insurance companies just don't know how to classify CF affiliates except to lump them in with the regular gyms. Wonder if any claims have been made against them for gymnastic-related injuries?
Old 06-04-2007, 09:40 AM   #5
Roger Harrell

Profile:
The big trouble I've found with the term gymnastics is anything on the "gymnastics apparatus". I have asked on order of 15 insurance companies for a definition of "gymnastics" under their policies, and not a single one has given me a response. They have all stated that it would be decided on a case by case basis, so, yeah, I'd say that some affiliates are at risk if their insurance co decides an injury was caused by "gymnastics". Call it all Yoga or something... Grrrr.
Old 06-05-2007, 04:08 AM   #6
Samuel Redwine

Profile:
Call it calisthenics. Technically, calisthenics have no equipment, but if it has equipment like rings or bars, you can call it strength training.

I love semantics.
Old 06-05-2007, 08:46 AM   #7
Howard Wilcox

Profile:
Samual, I like your thinking...thanks.

howard
Old 06-09-2007, 06:01 PM   #8
Samuel Redwine

Profile:
You're welcome. Let us know how it works with your insurance rates.