CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 05-18-2006, 07:55 AM   #1
Peter Queen

Profile:
Found this online. The genie is out of the bottle now. Parkour is starting to gain interest even on stage. http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/stage/chi-0605120360may12,1,185110.s tory?coll=chi-ent_theater-hed

I am still trying to find the video from NBCs Today Show which aired on Tuesday. They had a segment showing Parkour stunts in action while they are in Paris this week for the premier of the De Vinci Code. They even showed a sneek peek of Sebastien Foucan's freerunning clip in the upcomming Bond movie.
Old 05-18-2006, 08:57 AM   #2
Jesse Woody

Profile:
Yes, the ironic part was that I was in NYC along with 50 other Traceurs and David Belle, the founder of Parkour for the premiere of the movie District B13, featuring both himself and Cyril Rafielli (sp?) of "Kiss of the Dragon" amongst other things.

So they report a story about some crazy sport in France (which was grossly misrepresented), while right down the street it's blowing up in the US. Good ol' American media :p
Old 05-18-2006, 09:25 AM   #3
Peter Queen

Profile:
"...while right down the street it's blowing up in the US. Good ol' American media :p"

Yeah, that's funny. I'm sure that they probably have guys all over NY by now doing Freerunning stunts as well as elsewhere across the country. It's definately the new urban stunt craze of this century so far. I'm showing my age here but let me think: there was skating(attached to shoes via a key and tension clamps), hoola hoop, yo-yo, frisbee, clackers, roller skating, skateboarding, BMX biking, in-line skating, skateboarding again but more x-treme, paint balls, now Parkour. I can't wait to see what's comming next for the youth of America.:happy:

Hey Jesse, do they have any female freerunners? Probably a dumb question but I have not really seen any yet. Their parents would probably freak. As a father of daughters, I know I would. I'm just glad that they only like track, cheerleading and basketball for now.:lol:
Old 05-18-2006, 11:52 AM   #4
Roger Harrell

Profile:
I'll be stoked if my daugter gets into Parkour in the sense how Jesse approaches it. Now if she takes the approach that many I know do I'll be a little more nervous :-)
Old 05-18-2006, 12:30 PM   #5
Peter Queen

Profile:
Yeah Roger, with proper training I guess I'll be okay with it. It realy is a great form of exercise (gymnastics, tumbling, running, jumping ect). I still would not be thrilled with my girls doing the whole rooftop jumping thing. But the basic ground level stuff is real good physical conditioning.
Old 05-18-2006, 12:56 PM   #6
Peter Queen

Profile:
Jesse:
Cyril Raffaelli…http://www.futuremovies.co.uk/review.asp?ID=431
Yeah, I like him. I thought he was the coolest of the twins in Kiss of the Dragaon.
I can’t wait to see District 13. I’m glad to see David Belle and the whole Parkour mystique going Hollywood now. It will help to bring the sport into a proper light. My only fear is now we will probably have a lot more untrained fools out there hurting themselves and who will require guys like me to have to scrape up off the streets and rush to the hospitals.
:proud:
I still see it now with all the skateboarders and in-line skaters. Oh well, anything is better than joining a gang and streetfighting.
Old 05-18-2006, 04:05 PM   #7
Jesse Woody

Profile:
Yeah, there are a handful of girls. Personally, I have always felt that when a few females come along with a good background in athletics they will totally dominate the guys as they will be 100x more graceful and smooth. We have two ladies on the Tribe: http://www.tribalmovement.com and they both have backgrounds in gymnastics and dance....needless to say, their first day out they were amazing every single one of us.

They won't hold a stick to my daughter, though, as she is starting into Parkour at 6. :D
Old 05-18-2006, 06:39 PM   #8
Don Stevenson

Profile:
I was watching the first episode of the new series of "Top Gear" (the english car show) and saw a preview of some of their stories for the year and lo and behold there were a couple of guys doing some free running/flipping alkongside and on top of what looked to be a peugot.

BTW if you don;t watch Top Gear, you should because it is hilariously funny and they do some crazy stuff.
Old 05-18-2006, 08:21 PM   #9
Peter Queen

Profile:
Jesse:
Thanks for the link. Weena and Deean are a couple of hotties. I never figured the ladies would be that buff and strong either. I saw the trailer to D13....love it already!:happy:

Top Gear? I don't know if that is here in the states. I have a good cable packet but maybe that is on satelite. What is the name of the channel that carries it?

Old 05-18-2006, 09:34 PM   #10
Don Stevenson

Profile:
I'm not sure if it's shown in the US. We got one series over here in non rating season and then they swapped back to "Mythbusters" which was good to start with but it becoming lame as they run out of myths.

Anyway if you want to check it out there are plenty of places to download episodes on the net just google "top gear download"