CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 05-22-2007, 07:23 PM   #1
Joe Cloutier

Profile:
Just started a quick job that I'll be doing for the next three weeks, filling in for someone else. Thing is, it involves sitting in a very uncomfortable truck all day. That poses serious problems cause I've never been able to sit for long periods of time. Even if I do get up from time to time (delivery, but I'm carrying bread.. nothing too heavy here), I can already feel the knot of tension building in the middle of my back - mainly around the area where the traps are attached (roughly halfway up my back). And that's after only one day's work. I can only begin to imagine how bad it'll be in two weeks and 4 days.

I've tried a few things but nothing seems to really help relieve it. Aside from the classic heat & advil, is there anything else I can do?

Thanks in advance people.

PS: Sorry if that's been adressed already - I ran a quick search and saw nothing obvious. No time to dig deeper right now.
Old 05-22-2007, 09:03 PM   #2
Brad Davis

Profile:
Sounds exactly like my back. I just about can't do a C2 rower for more than 5-10 min. because of this also. Good thing I tried one out at the gym first!

Some quick neck and back mobility drills 2-3x per day? Like run through 3 plane neck movements x 10-15, shrugs rotating shoulders around, spine extension/flexing, etc. Might be worth a try.
Old 05-22-2007, 10:31 PM   #3
Wayne Nelson

Profile:
check these out. they might help!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Upper back mob-reactivation.pdf (1.51 MB, 605 views)
Old 05-23-2007, 05:33 AM   #4
Cal Jones

Profile:
I sit over a computer all day so I feel your pain (literally). I often like on the floor with a medicine ball between my shoulder blades and then roll it up and down my spine, which offers some relief. I still have little mobility in my thorassic vertebrae, though.
Old 05-30-2007, 06:16 PM   #5
Joe Cloutier

Profile:
Good stuff... That .pdf was particularly helpful. I also asked my physio for some tips and he gave me a bunch of exercises to do. Still hurts when I'm sitting in the truck but at least I'm not all messed up when I get home at night.

Thanks !
Old 06-05-2007, 04:07 PM   #6
Amy Hedderly

Profile:
I'm currently having back pain and my physical therapist gave me a cylinder shaped pillow to put against my back when I have to sit for any length of time. I put it against my lower back and kind of arch back over the pillow a little when I sit; then I can stand up without pain. A simple solution, but makes a huge difference :-)

Amy
Old 06-05-2007, 08:06 PM   #7
Matt DeMinico

Profile:
To stretch your mid-upper back, lay on your back on the ground, and roll onto one side or the other (let's pick left first). Now you're laying on your left hip, pull both your knees up so that your legs and your torso make a 90 degree angle to eachother (as they would be if you were sitting straight up in a chair). Your left knee is on the ground, and your right knee is on top of your left knee.

From here, keep everything together like that, and try to touch your right shoulder blade to the ground (by twisting your back to do so). You'll probably find a spot or two that's tight first, if you've got a friend (like a spouse preferably so you don't feel like a hoo-moo with another guy/gal touching you), have them try to do a massage of sorts on that area to loosen up the muscles. If it's a joint issue, then that's a whole other story.

Now just repeat it on the other side. You should be able to touch your shoulder blades down on each side without lifting your legs or knees off the ground.
Old 06-05-2007, 11:41 PM   #8
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:
I know exactly what you're talking about commuting for 2 or 3 hours a day. At that, on days where I coach a lot of recreational tumbling; it tends to really bunch up my spine.

I do one of those cat camel stretches a lot. Frequently, I just let my torso hang down as if I were to reach for my toes and then rise my torso and chin up like a good morning. I will also reach down for my toes and by rounding and shrugging my shoulders, I can do what feels like popping my thorasic vertebrae. I probably do this once an hour or so, be it coaching or working. Heck, I even do it at home or go hang from my pullup bar after I wake up and before I go to sleep or from time to time.

I generally try to do a bit of bar kipping when I hang from the bar but if I don't have access to it, hanging from any edge I can find or a tree limb. Though, I don't think yoga pushups are the most awesome pushup there is; I do find them good for stretching and warming up. Holding an air squat early on in the morn or doing any of these while you have a moment I find is a good use of 10 seconds. You might look funny to everyone else, but you feel a lot better, I'm sure.

I have long told people, especially adults to try to stretch out their spines and neck every day. Once either of those get tight or compacted, the rest of the day is hell.
Old 06-07-2007, 10:35 PM   #9
Wayne Nelson

Profile:
Try doing those air squats with your hands behind your head. elbows back and looking straight ahead. OOooo upper back!

See my attachment under "bulging disc" for some mobility things. I really like the 4 point rock thing. Not a day goes by without that.
Old 06-08-2007, 05:32 AM   #10
Christian Lemburg

Profile:
Hi Joe,

take a tennis ball or baseball, put it on the ground, and lie down on it with your back. You can now massage yourself by rolling around on the ball. If you want less pressure, put the ball in a sock and hang it over your shoulder, pressing against some wall.

For some ideas on why and how to massage, see http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/27/14941.html.

Good luck, and fast recovery,

Christian