CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 03-20-2007, 07:54 PM   #1
Tim Weaver

Profile:
Here's a question from Mrs. TimW. I searched the archives for the obvious keywords, to no results:

"When start running, and start breathing hard, I get this taste at the back of my throat, that tastes like blood. There isn't any, that I can find/see (like when I have spit), but it worries me a little. Any reason for concern?"

Thanks,
TimW
PHoenix
Old 03-21-2007, 08:20 AM   #2
Paul Findley

Profile:
I experience the same thing. I never worried much about it. I assumed that when you get going why not taste blood in the air as you open up alveoli and start moving more air out from deep in the lungs. I guess it could be as simple as moving fluids down out of the sinus etc. Let us know if you find anything though.
Old 03-22-2007, 09:15 AM   #3
Matt DeMinico

Profile:
It's a kinda metallic like taste? I'm not quite sure exactly, I don't get it, but maybe have her check with a sports medicine doctor to see what they say.

I get weird sensations after I'm in a crouched position for a long time (if I hold the speedskating basic position for extended time), once I stand back up, I get this weird smell in my nose, it's strange, almost like the lactic acid finally made its way out of my leg muscles and into the rest of my blood. I'm sure it's not a good thing to rush my body with that much lactate though...
Old 03-22-2007, 04:34 PM   #4
Garrett Smith

Profile:
Could be as simple as dehydration.

Or, considering how "clean" the air is in Phoenix :lame:, it could be a nasty side effect of pollutants + increased oxidation due to increased breathing rate = stripping all of the glutathione out of the lungs resulting in hemolysis and a "blood" taste in the mouth (without blood to be seen).

I don't know. All I do know is run in the "cleanest" areas you have available, and absolutely no cardio/metcon during rush hours.
Old 03-22-2007, 07:13 PM   #5
Tim Weaver

Profile:
Mrs. TimW thanks you all. Garrett, she's going to see if that happens when she's running on the treadmill versus when she runs outdoors in a local park....
Old 03-23-2007, 05:05 AM   #6
Joe Celso

Profile:
Coach mentioned this at the Boston Cert... I can't remember what it was or what it meant (other than you're working hard) but I do not believe it was a cause for concern. It happened to a few guys during/after FGB.
Old 03-23-2007, 12:21 PM   #7
Garrett Smith

Profile:
TimW,
That's a good idea. Make sure she runs with a similar intensity to reduce the variables...
Old 03-23-2007, 02:24 PM   #8
Darrell E. White

Profile:
I used to experience that running in the cold, CC skiing, etc. From the deepest, darkest recesses of my memory from school the phenomenon results from alveolar blood flow in max O2 transfer. It's not harmful. Mine occurred in Vermont on bluebird days; while avoiding "bad air" as suggested is always good, the phenomenon itself is not due to environmental influence.

Tim, how's the vision?
Old 03-23-2007, 02:33 PM   #9
Tim Weaver

Profile:
Guys...thanks for all the continued feedback.

Darrell....20/15 if the doctor's projection on the wall is to be believed. :-) Halo effect at night is nearly gone, and so far presbyopia has not yet set in at normal reading distances. I do miss, however, being able to get right up next to items to see them up close like I could when I was myopic.

So far, worth every penny and I sometimes forget I actually wore glasses.
Old 03-23-2007, 06:01 PM   #10
Darrell E. White

Profile:
Good on ya, Tim!! Congrats.