CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 04-08-2006, 03:41 PM   #1
Elliot Royce

Profile:
I did a search on this and there are some interesting responses but let me try for any more recent opinions. I've been recovering from hip surgery and only just started back into squatting. For a few sessions, it went fine but now there is a pain on the outside of my right knee which occurs when I squat. It's an aching sort of pain. When walking, going up and down stairs, skating, etc. I don't feel the pain (or only a very slight ache when skating). Deadlifts are fine.

The right knee cap seems to be slightly more mobile side to side than the left. I also have very tight quads, hams and hip flexors.

I did do a bunch of bodyweight squats, overhead squats with dumbbells, and step-ups 2 days ago, and then tried squatting light again today, so maybe it's overuse.

From the previous posts, it sounds like the problem is probably weak knee muscles. I'm assuming the best thing to do is full range bodyweight squats until I get more strength.
Old 04-10-2006, 05:29 PM   #2
Jason Carriveau

Profile:
did they do anything to your meniscus?
Old 04-10-2006, 05:31 PM   #3
Jason Carriveau

Profile:
Second thought it could be that your Ilio tibial band (it runs from your hip to the lateral aspect of your knee) is tight, what you can do is get a foam roller and lay on your side. Roll over it so that it goes from your hip down to your knee. You can also put an ankle weight on and lay on your side with the affected leg hanging over behind you allowing it to stretch.
Old 04-11-2006, 05:57 AM   #4
Elliot Royce

Profile:
Nothing to the meniscus. My knees have generally been pretty good although the arthritis forced my knee out to the side for several years (imbalance) so it's perhaps an adjustment to having normal knee motion again. I am tight all over and certainly with the IT band. I do sometimes use the roller but I'll step it up. I'm also doing ART and will mention the problem to the therapist.

Last night, I did 60 squats (3x20) with a heavier weight than I've been able to for a while but I used a box. No pain from the knee. Perhaps it's just that the knee needs to strengthen since it stabilizes a lot when you don't have the box below you.