CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 02-24-2006, 06:16 AM   #1
Michael Forge

Profile:
If I were going to invest in only two kettlebells, for now, what do you think would be the most versatile weights to get?

I'm 5' 8", 168 lbs.
Old 02-24-2006, 06:37 AM   #2
Chris Kemp

Profile:
Michael, as with many things - it depends. How strong are you, what experience with kb's do you have, what do you want to do with them, are you able to get some professional tuition to get you started ... etc.

I think the stock answer would be 16kg's to start unless you're a real freak of nature but if you search for kettlebell weight size and start you will find a number of threads that go over this question.

Also, listen to the CrossFitLive show with kettlebell coach Tom Corrigan. I know that this question is asked and answered in some detail there.

Cheers, kempie
Old 02-24-2006, 07:15 AM   #3
Allen Yeh

Profile:
Good little blurb on this at Dragondoor.

http://www.dragondoor.com/articler/mode3/130/

I opted with the 24 kg for my first kb, which came in the mail on Monday. I think it was the right choice for me, I'm 5'9" 195 12% and I had a lifting background and I have been doing crossfit for a couple of months at this point.

Definitely get a book and a DVD. I learned the hard way that you don't do a KB snatch the same way you do a DB snatch (the back of my forearms are still bruised).

I would say to get one for now and invest the other money into instructional materials. Good luck! Enjoy the pain! (that's what it says on the box if you buy one from Dragondoor!)
Old 02-24-2006, 09:23 AM   #4
Michael Forge

Profile:
Well, I'm certainly no freak of nature strength-wise, but I am an experienced athlete and lifter. I'm a lean 168 (about 8% BF at present) and in pretty good cardio-vascular condition.

Any particular book/DVD recommendations?
Old 02-24-2006, 10:21 AM   #5
Greg Kemp

Profile:
I find the 35 lbs or around 1 pood is a good start for most. I have KB from 20 to 88 lbs at my HS for my football players and the most used are the 35 and 45 lbs. Only the smallest Frosh guys use the 20 lbs. And most guys use the 35 lbs. If you have an option buy a second that is heavier for 2 hand swings or even sumo high pulls. I have an instructional video from Pavel not sure which one that is very good showing the movements and how they need to be done. I am constantly amazed how beginers want to do swings. My back hurts watching them.
Old 02-24-2006, 07:41 PM   #6
Pascal Ol

Profile:  
If you are looking for a comlete DVD on kettlebell , i recommend Steve Cotter`s "encyclopedia of kettlebell lifting" .

over 180 execises on 5 DVD and a few training programs . About 90-100$ but well worth that amount of money
Old 02-24-2006, 11:02 PM   #7
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
Get a 36 and a 44 pounder. Get Steve Cotter's Encyclopedia of Kettlebell Lifting and Jeff Martone's series of H2H DVD's...throwing kettlebells is great fun. The RKC DVD is good too as is Mike Mahler's KB lifting for size and strength.
Old 02-25-2006, 07:40 AM   #8
Greg Kemp

Profile:
If you goto the tactical athlete site you can buy the Jeff Martone's H2H Kettlebell drills for $5.95 on VHS or buy the same thing on DVD for $39.95. I just ordered the tape.

Eugene thanks for the info. I was looking for the guy who throws the kettlebells. I had heard about it but wanted to see it for myself.

http://www.tacticalathlete.com/h2hvideo.htm

Video is here
http://www.tacticalathlete.com/h2hintro.mov