CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 02-24-2005, 02:54 PM   #1
Seth Drown

Profile:
While my budget is nowhere close to Eugene's, I am trying to build up my home gym. My goal is simply to have the stuff I need to do the WOD every day. I've already got the "Garage Gym" CFJ issue, and I just bought my horse stall mats today. I also have a pullup bar, kettlebells, dumbbells, an olympic bar (cheap), and 300 lbs of metal weights.

I am working with a very limited budget. I think what I need most is some kind of spotting mechanism for squats (power cage, pillars of power, etc). NY Barbells is having some great sales now on power cages w/free shipping on many. Here's a few of the cheaper ones:

http://www.newyorkbarbells.com/92563.html

http://www.newyorkbarbells.com/92565.html

http://www.newyorkbarbells.com/8010pr.html

Then, there's the pillars of poverty:
http://www.geocities.com/fightraining/safety.html

The pillars of poverty are probably 1/2 to 1/3 the cost of the others, so I'm trying to weigh advantages and disadvantages. It looks like the chief advantage of the power cage would be the adjustability of it and the rack feature (I wouldn't have to clean the weight for front squats and presses). Is that right? I guess the other advantage would be that I could get dip handles to go on the cage. (I am currently doing dips on the backs of two stepping stools.) I have heard of people using the pillars of poverty for dips too. Or I could build a larger set of pillars of poverty specifically for dips.

The next thing on my list is the minimal equipment needed to do the o-lifts safely. I've got a cheapo olympic bar and metal plates. I'm currently lifting on a concrete floor with the horse stall mats. Do I still need bumper plates to protect the concrete floor if I have the horse stall mats? I don't plan on dropping them unless I get in trouble. I realize the bumpers are nice, but are they necessary?

I guess those are the two "big" purchases I'm looking at, and I just want to see if anyone has any suggestions before I shell out the bucks. Thanks.
Old 02-24-2005, 04:38 PM   #2
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
If you have bumpers, then you don't necessarily NEED safety rails - that's because with bumpers you CAN dump lifts that cause you trouble. Hanging on to a bad lift is dangerous.

I'd go with bumpers and the Pillars of Poverty.
Old 02-24-2005, 04:51 PM   #3
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
Seth - I got the Pillars of Power and the Vulcan Racks to save room. I could also have just gotten rid of the bench press station and used the squat cage for both squats and bench press. The third rack on your above list is too short for squats. Either of the other two will work great but the full cage would add a pullup bar and the other one would save you $70.

The pillars of poverty will only serve as spotting racks and a weight holder. You would be much better off with either of the other cages than the pillars of poverty. As far as dips go, you should really get some adjustable rings from www.ringtraining.com.

The bumper plates are very very nice when you want to drop your weight from the snatch, clean or DL height. If you never drop the weights they are somewhat redundant, but if you need to back out of a lift the metal plates will make a mess of your garage floor. But, with some stall mats in place...maybe doubled would be best, your floor will be safe even from the metal plates.

I'd go for the first rack and some rings.

eug
Old 02-24-2005, 07:31 PM   #4
Clay Jones

Profile:

Seth, I'm with Eugene, get rings for your dips. You can also buy dip inserts for the Vulcan racks that Ironmind makes, that is also an option. (but they are pricey)

If you are looking to do the WOD at home, you don't really need a cage, just a set of squat stands and some inexpensive bumpers. You don't have to buy a set, either--start with a set of 25's (lbs), then buy a set of 45's or 35's later on.

I have owned a couple of squat cages. While they can seem to be a great deal for the money because you can do a lot of different things with them--partials, lockouts--they can also be limiting. I have yet to see a WOD that requires a rack. In my opinion, they just seem to take up space that could be used for something else.

They make great clothes hangers, though.:happy:
Old 02-24-2005, 07:49 PM   #5
Mike Ryan

Profile:
Seth,

I also have limited space and budget. I got an olympic set, horse stall mats and the parabody rack system. http://us.home.lifefitness.com/content.cfm/rack I got the bare bones set up at a really good price. In hindsight, I think I would have been better off with bumpers and perhaps something like the pillars. The rack works well for me doing assisted pullups. I hook a jumpstretch band between the supports adjusted to the right height and away I go. I posted in another thread that my wife can't take much more of me bailing out on the cleans and dumping the bar. Even on the mats in makes a helluva racket. Bumpers are definetly next.

Mike.
Old 02-25-2005, 05:53 AM   #6
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Mike, IMO a great O-bar and bumper plates, should be the 1st purchase for every serious Crossfitter. There is a HUGE diffrence between O-lifts with the 300#s $100 iron weight set, and even a decent olympic bar and bumpers. A lot of the other stuff you could make if you have access to tools and a Home Depot. Check Bigger, Faster, Stronger for moderately priced bars and bumpers, great service also.
Old 02-25-2005, 07:58 AM   #7
Ben Kaminski

Profile:
What would the difference be between a cheap O-bar and an expensive one? The only function of an O-bar is to rotate on the ends where the weight is, right? I find it tough to justify paying up to 10 times the cost of a bar at play-it-again sports for something that is nearly functionally equivalent IMO. Am I missing something? I have never used a "great" O-bar, but I have used a great many different ones and they all weighed the same.
Old 02-25-2005, 08:04 AM   #8
Patrick Kennedy

Profile:
Larry,

Can you elaborate on the differences between the cheap olympic bars and the better bars? Being another Crossfitter with a limited budget, I purchased a cheap set of Olympic weights for home use. I regularly use Olympic bars with bumper plates at the college where I work. I don't know whether they are decent or cheap. I'm a novice with Olympic lifts, and I don't know what differences I am unaware of.

Thanks,

Patrick
Old 02-25-2005, 08:24 AM   #9
Seth Drown

Profile:
Thanks for the advice, guys. You all make good arguments. Too bad you don't all agree! Looks like the consensus is leaning towards bumper plates as my next purchase, though.

Larry, I have been reading old posts about quality olympic bars and what a difference it makes. I never even realized there were dramatic differences between bars until I started visiting this forum. From what I gather, my cheap bar probably won't survive too many drops anyway. So my thinking was that I would use it until I damaged it, which would give me an excuse to get a better one. But I'll see what kind of deals BFS has.

Still not sure about racks, pillars, etc. I wonder if having to clean the weight for presses, jerks, and front squats might be a good thing, even if it limits the weight I can use in those movements. If so, then pillars would seem to be the best choice (for spotting me on front quats). The only exercise that would seem to *require* a rack are back squats, but I haven't seen to many of those in the WODs.

As for the rings, Clay and Eugene, they are definitely on my short list of smaller items, though it will probably be a while before I can do many reps on them, if they're as tough as everyone says. Do you use them for all the dips on the WODs or just the ones that specify rings?

I'll keep checking this thread for a few more days before I buy anything, so keep the ideas coming. Thanks again.
Old 02-25-2005, 09:41 AM   #10
Ben Kaminski

Profile:
Seth's post pointed out something I had not considered: dropping the weight. I can see now how a lower quality bar might not survive many drops, where a higher quality bar might be designed to do just that.