CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 01-29-2005, 12:12 AM   #1
Norm Hoogerdyk

Profile:  
I recently got a system called the Free Spotter.{It uses 10,000 test ropes to hold the bar. The system can safely hold 1000 lbs and a break point of 2,000lbs. A small 1/4" bar sits just above the Olympic bar from one side to the other. You squeeze this small bar down as you grip the bar to do your lift (as you normally would) the weight is now free to move and it is not held in any plane as in a smith machine. If you run into any problems during your lift you just lift your fingers off the small 1/4" bar and it gets locked in place and you just walk away.
I've used it for presses, squats and benches , just adjusted an empty bar to the height I needed loaded the weight on in place, positioned myself and gone to it. It's great- no trying to get the bar into a grove - just lift your fingers and walk away.

The other good thing is it's pretty cheap - $125 and all the safety you want.

The only draw back is it has to be taken off for dynamic lifting. This is easy as a couple of wing nuts on each side make it quick. The ropes can be then moved out of the way. The bar can be stored up as high as you can reach when not in use and doesn't take take up the room like a rack does. I love it.
you can check it out at WWW.shermworks.com
PS I ordered it on a Wed and it arrived the same Friday.
Old 01-31-2005, 12:55 PM   #2
Butch White

Profile:

Hey Norm, that's an interesting design and looks like it would work well. What's the max weight you've that you've used with the Free Spotter?
Old 01-31-2005, 02:51 PM   #3
Norm Hoogerdyk

Profile:  
I'm afraid to tell you but only 180# for deadlifts. I've never realy lifted weights before but it's rated for safe use at 1,000# -more than I'll ever need.
The first time I used it I tried to bench 160 and I got it down and couldn't get it back up. All I had to do was lift my fingers up off the bar and it immediately locked in place and I could slide out from under the bar with my neck in one piece. I now check my ego at the door.

I was impressed with how heavy duty it was I added a couple pics I just took as I found the guys web site a little lacking. I had read a couple of reviews on it and he offered safisfaction or your money back so I kind of bought it on faith and I have been very impressed with it.
Norm
http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/26/7395.jpghttp://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/26/7396.jpg