CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 02-25-2004, 03:58 PM   #1
Larry Cook

Profile:
I notice quite a few folks seem to work out at home. Is this because you prefer to work out at home or that you could not find a gym that had the equipment/set-up you like? I ask because while my gym has most of the stuff I need to do the WODs, no one else there is doing CrossFit. I can handle the funny looks, but the basic gym etiquette is not conducive to doing many CrossFit routines, particularly the ones for time. I am really torn here ... I like my gym and I'm one of those folks that does better in a gym setting ... I just find it easier to motivate myself to work-out when there are others sweating it out around. However, many days its just plain hard to get the WOD done. Anybody made the switch from commercial gym to home? Also, what time of day do most of you exercise? If I went to a home gym, I'd have to do either early A.M. or P.M. as opposed to mid-day. Thanks, Larry.
Old 02-25-2004, 05:48 PM   #2
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
I made the switch a while back. While I like to have company during workouts, commercial gyms just weren't cutting it. Mostly the lack of quality barbells, bumper plates and lifting platforms. I have the best free weight equipment in the city of San Diego and it cost me less than Bally's spends for one leg extension machine. Plus I can workout anytime I like - and I do. For example, I went home for lunch today and popped out 3 quick sets of military presses before eating. 10 minutes, tops. Other times I'll do an hour workout when I get home from work. Or half the workout on Monday and finish the other half on Tuesday.

Two or three times a month I make a Saturday trek to Mike's Gym, about 35 miles away, which is the best gym in the county with the best lifters and coaches.
Old 02-26-2004, 03:19 PM   #3
Jay Swan

Profile:
I switched to home because we had a kid and the nearest gym is 20 minutes drive away. Working out 4 or 5 days a week, that leads up to big time savings.

I still have only the most minimal equipment at home (barbell set and pullup bar), but I'm slowly going to add gear until I've got something decent.
Old 02-27-2004, 06:50 AM   #4
Mike Yukish

Profile:
I mix my workouts, depending on what coach has served up in the WOD, and what's happening in my life. I try to do the olympic lifts and heavy squats/deadlifts at the gym, because I have just the cheap set of weights at home. Also, I know the folks there, and the dip stand at the gym is better than the corners of my two cabinets.

I try to do all of the tabata-ish WODs or any that have running involved at home. I hate gerbil machines, and its too hard to get to where I can run and back at the gym. I have a hangboard for pullups and a medicine blob at home, along with enough weights for 100 LB barbell or DB moves.

And then some days I just feel like running around clanking iron at the gym while getting stared at as a freak, and some days I like drinking beer at home and doing density pullups while my daughter throws nerf balls at me. I'll even head to the park, and do a WOD there if the workout fits. In short, I like being able to choose. They're all fun. That's my favorite thing about the WOD...it's fun.

I was at reserve duty yesterday, and went to the base gym to do the WOD. There were the usual *big* dudes doing a set every 10 minutes, and there were racquetball players at a court just next door. So I'm running back and forth between doing my grunting deadlifts and then practicing my self-roping double unders in an empty racquetball court, getting sweatier by the second. Eventually, I noticed a lifter peeking in to see what all of the rope flailing was about, and a racquetballer peeking in the other way to see what the heck I was doing when not lashing myself in the glass court. I think they thought it was some kind of ritual self-mutilation exercise, as my double-unders suck. It was funny.
Old 02-27-2004, 07:31 AM   #5
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Home gym = more free time. I wake up eat a small snack, cup of coffee, and hit the basement. over the years I have built up quite alot of equipment. I will never go back to a gym, most are far inferior to what I've collected.
Old 02-27-2004, 07:54 AM   #6
Kelly Moore

Profile:
Hi Larry,

I switched to creating my home gym about 18 years ago when my job position changed and I had to work the swing shift. The only gym I liked (catered to powerlifters) was open limited hours and didn't work with my schedule. I was forced to start building my own gym. It's easily one of the best things that happened to me. I've acquired and sold various pieces of equipment over the years. I now have a gym I wouldn't trade for a free lifetime pass to any of the fancy 24 hour "butt-floss bunny health spas" that seem to be everywhere!
Old 02-27-2004, 09:28 AM   #7
Larry Cook

Profile:
Thanks, everyone, for the comments.

Mike, I was reading your post early this morning while drinking my coffee ... choked/spit/inhaled the mouthful I had just taken ... what an absolutely hysterical mental picture!

Kelly, you seem to rule the WOD board. Certainly adds a lot of weight to the home gym argument. I read recently where Wisc. was ranked the #1 state for health/fitness ... no wonder.

L, J & L ... thanks also.

I know a lot of folks have already said this, but this site is just fantastic. The information is first rate and readily shared, the boards set the highest standard for civility ... the WODs are simply diabolical.

Going to do some back squats now .. my form on those is terrible. More comments always welcome. Larry

Old 02-27-2004, 01:40 PM   #8
Ryan Atkins

Profile:
Larry,

Wisconsin was ranked #1? I'm stunned - a large percentage of the people I see around where I live give evidence that "America's Dairyland" is a suitable nickname for the state. If we're #1, I'd hate to see the state of fitness elsewhere in the U.S. (isn't California still supposed to be home of the hardbodies?).

With regards to your question, since starting Crossfit over a year ago, I have now acquired/made 95% of the equipment needed for the WODs. Most gyms in my area can't make the same claim. One of them opened up recently inside a newly constructed, beautiful two story building with windows for walls. The only thing I saw hanging from the cieling were a bunch of large screen TVs - what a waste of potential! Also, I bet most gyms wouldn't let Julia (my 5 yo daughter) or David (2 yo son) climb ropes, play on the rings, do dumbbell swings, etc. Until I get Julia signed up in a good gymnastics program soon, we're better off at home.

Ryan
Old 02-27-2004, 02:07 PM   #9
Larry Cook

Profile:
Ryan,

I don't have the article in front of me ... if it was not Wisc. as a state then it was Madison as a city. Anyway, we do have a fondness for your state in our household ... my wife went to summer camp in Wisc. for a few years as a kid and has an aunt who still lives on the lake there.

I have two kids myself and that certainly enters into the equation. My daughter takes gymnastics and they have the article posted in the lobby there that lists gymnastics as the tougest sport. This is a source of great consternation for my son, the hockey player (he's sooooo tough, ha). They are 10 year old fraternal twins.

A little off track here, but it is nice to kind of get know folks even if it is just internet. I am pricing some stuff now ... if I do this, I think I'll start with oly weights, bench and a rack and move on from there. Not much for the kids to play with.

Larry
Old 02-27-2004, 03:12 PM   #10
Paul "The Viking"
Departed Paul

Profile:

I think I saw the article while browsing magazines in the bookstore a while back. It was either Men's Health or maybe Men's Journal. It was rating cities for men's health and fitness Issues and it did rate Madison the highest. I think they took into account things like how many parks/gyms there were in the city per person, what the life expectencies of the men there are, and even stress levels. It was kind of interesting. I think other cities might rank higher on some of these scales, but not all of them.

Wisconsin gets a bad rap! There are a lot of outdoorsy people there. Madison, being a college town, also is a slightly different demographic than the state as a whole. Most of my extended family on my Dad's side is from the Wisconsin/Minnesota area (hence my Norwegian heritage and nickname.) My cousins who grew up around there are all campers, hikers, swimmers, and so forth. One of them even got his PhD in Phys Ed and directs a Y.

Anyways, I grew up in Ohio, now live in DC, and only wish that I could afford a place with a basement or garage to put together my own gym. It would easily beat the standard gyms around here. Speaking of which, anyone here from DC - or in particular, Arlington, VA? I'd love to find a better gym - I'm currently going to an overcrowded Gold's. At one point, I heard mention of a gym in Alexandria that does O-lifting, but I haven't been able to find that website again - or the gym in the yellow pages!

-Paul

PS I just did a quick search. For anyone interested in the article from Men's Health- it can be found at the following website:
http://www.visitmadison.com/newsmedi...?category_id=4