CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 04-12-2007, 06:12 PM   #1
Matthew Bryer

Profile:
What do ya think? Do it or not?
Old 04-12-2007, 06:23 PM   #2
Nathan Sobczak

Profile:
if you are talking about the supplement then no,your better of buying creatine and glutamine
Old 04-12-2007, 06:24 PM   #3
Sam Lepore

Profile:
No way. Just chemicals you do not need.
Old 04-12-2007, 06:31 PM   #4
Eric Lester

Profile:
Lots of companies are mixing creatine and glutamine in with their N02 now. If you can afford it I don't see why not.

I did a cycle of Xyience's combo supplement (NOX-CG3 or something like that). I could tell a difference in my pump and longevity compared to using creatine alone. (May have been the glutamine for all I know though).

However, I got to reading on the canister and the creatine seemed to be of a pretty low quality. This makes me think the NOX and Glutamine would be too, so I am not recommending Xyience, just NO2 in general :-)
Old 04-12-2007, 08:25 PM   #5
Nick Cummings

Profile:

I would say worry about supplements after you have your diet, training, and sleeping in order. Most will caution you that many supplements generate poor returns on investment and I believe that they are generally correct. I do like creatine, ZMA, and fish oil. The rest seem mainly supported by subjective testimonials which doesn't exclude them from having positive effects. It does usually prevent me from purchasing them.
Old 04-13-2007, 01:00 AM   #6
Jaime Steele

Profile:
Anyone tried Muscle Armor from EAS? http://www.musclearmor.com/ The testimonials make it sound good but you can never rely on them. I know the local rep and got a couple of tubs - not sure whether or not to bother with it.
Old 04-13-2007, 06:01 AM   #7
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Fish oil is not a supplement, its a required food!!! Supplements are the 1% stuff. Once you have 99% of diet, training, and recovery covered...then experiment with supplements. Creatine has a lot of research to back up it's claims and is considered safe. If you don't have your diet in order (including fish oil, protein powder, and a multi-vit and mineral supplement, if you feel it's necessary) then you have no business screwing around with supplements. If you are still gaining from just doing the exercises, then you have no business away your money (literary) on supplements. When you have everything in order for three months, and start experiencing plateaus, then experiment with one supplement at a time. Track what it does and how it works. It drives me nuts when a person starts an exercise program, begins to eat well, gets all sorts of newbie gains...and says it'd the supplement he's taking!
Old 04-13-2007, 08:23 AM   #8
Matthew Bryer

Profile:
What about trying to gain every advantage you can? I work out 5-6 days a week, and have been off and on, (mostly on) for a few years and I still am not at the fitness level, or have the chiseled look that picture in my daydreams. I want every safe advantage possible, like creatine, NO2, maybe even Hydroxycut or something like it, you know? If I work hard in my exercise and they are efficient I eat a good diet (I don't have a really strict south beach style diet) but I know whats what and am not achieving my goals I see no reason not to supplement if they are safe, in the populated market, legal and researched.
Old 04-13-2007, 09:37 AM   #9
Steven L Blondeau

Profile:
The chiseled look you picture in your daydreams is entirely different from fitness. Those pictures are put in your head by the advertising industry to sell you stuff. Training for performance and to be pretty are two different things.

You say you've "been off and on for a few years." Stay "on" for a few years and then think about it. If you do Crossfit, eat whole foods, get enough sleep and do post workout regenerative work (stretching, foam roll,...) for a year I bet your picture of what is fit will change.

Don't be a sucker for the chiseled look. It's not the same as performance. The products you mention are sold on people's hopes and dreams. Fish oil, a whole foods multi/mineral, maybe CoQ10 if your 40 or over, and an antiinflammatory herbal supplement are all you really need. And each one of those, if you get the good stuff, is derived from whole foods and herbs. Some people benefit from various herbal and enzymatic formulas to boost immunity and digestion. Most of these are naturally derived from traditional herbal therapies. If you have need for these a good herbalist can help you.

You'll go broke chasing "the look" and the damage to your character that results from being vain and centered on appearance just isn't worth it.

As for diet I get people asking for diet and workout help and they always say, "I eat pretty good." When they keep a food journal it never fails that they eat like pigs-chips,soda, beer, cold cuts, tons of processed food, sugar... Work on the basics first-Clean Diet, Solid training, regeneration practices and good sleep.
Old 04-13-2007, 09:52 AM   #10
Matthew Bryer

Profile:
Steven- you make me sound like that greek god guy that stared at himself in the pond and stayed there forever because he thought that he was so good looking. I'm just kidding. But thats not me. I work out to be healthy, thats #1. I am mostly concerned with what I think is my most important muscle, the heart. I foam roll, and do static stretching. Your right, more on than off.
Food journal, great idea, I'm going to try it!
However, yeah, I do want to look good! Yeah, its expensive to keep up with all the supplements; My question to you, well you seem anti-supplement, or at least the ones I mentioned, why shouldn't you do them? Am I putting unhealthy substances in my body? I don't think so, but.... ?????