CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 04-13-2011, 09:51 AM   #11
Burt Alcantara

Profile:
Re: Cuts of Beef

I cook strip steaks restaurant style: sear in an iron skillet then 3-4 mins in a 550 degree oven. Remove steak and make a red wine sauce.

Flanks steaks: cook in a hot pan until med rare. Cut thinly across the grain gives me great flavored bites.

All other cuts of beef come out like old shoes. I tried slow cookers with various cuts but the meat always comes out dry. I've asked some restaurants what they use for their steak sandwiches or salads. They usually say top sirloin but that's really a vague answer.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:36 AM   #12
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Sirloin or tenderloin should come out fine if you cook them the same way as skirt steak or flank steak. Adjust the timing depending on thickness, of course. That's what I'd use for a steak sandwich if I were making one.

For slow cookers, you want a cut with some fat on it, not a steak. Maybe a chuck roast or a piece of brisket, and make sure to add some liquid to the cooker.

Pretty much any lean cut will work in a stir-fry: slice it thin across the grain and toss with hot oil and whatever seasonings until just browned.

Katherine
Old 04-13-2011, 10:56 AM   #13
James Rollo

Profile:

Ribeye is my favorite cut. Great balance between price and tenderness.

As for cooking them. If no Grill, then Ducasse it. Low-Medium heat, hold on it's side to brown all around ~5 minutes each (4 sides usually) then throw in a little more butter and cook each side for 8-10 minutes. Spoon the butter+fat up onto the steak as it cooks. Take it off and let sit for 5-10 minutes (can place in 100 degree oven).

Propane Grill - Let the grill heat up on high while you prepare the steaks. When you go to throw the steaks on lower the heat(all the way down on most peoples propane grills) put the steaks on and close the lid. Check in 3-5 minutes, is blood starting to poke through on the top? Flip it. Close lid and check in 3-5 minutes. Blood starting to poke through on the top? Flip it and take it off immediately.
Old 04-13-2011, 11:42 AM   #14
Michael Sinclair Howard

Profile:

Try a salt and spice rub on cheaper cuts for at least 2+ hours before cooking. The salt tenderizes it. Just don't go overboard on the salt - using kosher salt helps.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:48 AM   #15
Andrew Thompson

Profile:

The Farmer and the Grill (WFS)

This is an outstanding book on cooking grass fed beef, and other pasture raised meat. It talks about cuts of meat, recipes, advice, etc..
Old 04-15-2011, 10:03 AM   #16
Burt Alcantara

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Thompson View Post
The Farmer and the Grill (WFS)

This is an outstanding book on cooking grass fed beef, and other pasture raised meat. It talks about cuts of meat, recipes, advice, etc..
Fortunately, my local library has it so I will review it.

Thanks,
Burt