CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 11-09-2010, 04:03 AM   #21
Wayne Riddle

Profile:
Re: Thinking of taking up Tae Kwon Do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason R O'Dell View Post
Yeah I realize that. But for some reason a lot of those guys claim they do "real fighting" and claim karate/tkd/kung-fu/etc. are BS. I mean I heard Eddie Bravo (a huge d - bag by the way) say "Jiu-Jitsu is real, it's not bull$hit like karate."
A lot of martial arts were developed as self-defense, but for a totally time and place. There are things you can learn from all of them but is still different then what you will encounter nowadays. I tend to think Krav Maga is probably the closest to getting things right but I'm of the opinion is there is no one best system. Myself I would look for a school that has an instructor trained in Tony Blauer's SPEAR system as a starting point and evaluate from there.
Old 11-09-2010, 07:46 AM   #22
Aaron Evans

Profile:

Eddie Bravo has never won an MMA fight (as a matter of fact he's never even been in one, amatuer or pro)---he's never won a world JJ title---he's never won Abu Dhabi...He is really good at JJ, but he's better at marketing his product...
Old 11-09-2010, 08:46 AM   #23
Ryan M. Scott

Profile:

Quote:
Yeah, I'm not thinking that it's going to turn me or him into a world beater or anything.
I typically avoid situations that will put me into a violent confrontation. I suppose for me it'd be more for fun and some fitness.

For my son though when he's in school I'd at least like him to know how to separate himself from a bad situation after school or on the playground and if he's cornered at least know something about how to defend himself. Heck at least maybe he'll be used to getting hit so if some big bully takes a shot at him he doesn't curl up in a ball and cry because it's never happened.

This is the place I was thinking of attending:
http://www.tigerchos.com/

He has been in business around here forever.

There is also this place:

http://www.oklahomafamilykarate.com/

I don't have the trained eye to know what to really look for. Of course I'll give them a try.

I did enjoy Judo when I wasn't getting slammed down, but I did think striking was a lot more fun. But, like I said we couldn't do father-son kickboxing.
In my opinoin, there are no poor arts, just poor schools. You could have a really great TKD school that focuses on real world self defense, or you could go to a BJJ academy that focuses only on competition. Personally, if self-defense were my #1 goal, I'd try to find a Krav Maga or submission grappling place. But either way, go take a free class or two at whatever TKD place, and get a feel for it.
Old 11-09-2010, 10:48 AM   #24
Aushion Chatman

Profile:

To me, for a little kid, under 13 yrs old... real world self-defense is really a tiny issue

I was part of a TKD school from ages 5-11, I loved it...

In order of priority as I look back here were the benefits:

1) Self-confidence
2) Adult and Older kid mentorship
3) Community/Friends
4) Discipline
5) Athletic development, body awareness, Active flexibility work, etc...

Looking back I think TKD was the activity that actually had the best sport/fitness carry-over at that age...Soccer and Basketball being close 2nd and 3rd for overall fitness.
Old 11-09-2010, 11:46 AM   #25
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:

I do remember having insane flexibility the year that I did TKD as a kid. Hopefully I can regain that.
I have a meeting with Tiger Cho today at 4:00 and I'll possibly be trying the class out at 7:00.
Wayne those Bullshido forums you linked me to sure do have a lot of bickering between styles. They have forums dedicated to each country of origin but practitioners of other styles seem to jump in with a "My kung-fu is better than your kung-fu!" mentality.
Old 11-09-2010, 03:46 PM   #26
Wayne Riddle

Profile:

Quote:
Wayne those Bullshido forums you linked me to sure do have a lot of bickering between styles. They have forums dedicated to each country of origin but practitioners of other styles seem to jump in with a "My kung-fu is better than your kung-fu!" mentality.
Yeah, I tend to avoid the place unless doing some research on a specific instructor or school.
Old 11-09-2010, 04:13 PM   #27
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:

Well good thing I went and talked with him first. He basically told me that due to my size and background (doing kickboxing) he was afraid I would hurt somebody and he didn't think his school was my best option. At least he was honest.
I do like striking, but I can't afford the K-Boxing place I used to go to now that I don't have a student discount anymore.

I'm looking into going back to my old Judo school.
Old 11-09-2010, 10:15 PM   #28
Júlíus Magnússon

Profile:

Quote:
Well good thing I went and talked with him first. He basically told me that due to my size and background (doing kickboxing) he was afraid I would hurt somebody and he didn't think his school was my best option. At least he was honest.
I do like striking, but I can't afford the K-Boxing place I used to go to now that I don't have a student discount anymore.

I'm looking into going back to my old Judo school.
Wow... That sounds like a really crappy school. Be glad you don't have that guy for an instructor.
Old 11-10-2010, 04:03 AM   #29
Wayne Riddle

Profile:

Quote:
Say what? They fighting full contact all the time or something? He doesn't think you'll be able to control your punches or kicks? Sounds like a lame statement on his part, I would want to know more.
Old 11-10-2010, 06:55 AM   #30
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:

I had trouble understanding him because he was Korean. But he was going on about how during sparring I could hurt someone and was saying "First time you hurt someone, you're out. Never come back." And then said "It will be hard for you to not hurt someone. You very big and strong."