CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 11-03-2010, 11:56 AM   #21
Brian Bedell

Profile:
Re: GOMAD for people >200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Christensen View Post
What I am hearing you say is that whether or not your body can utilize the extra calories and nutrients from drinking a gallon of milk a day depends on whether or not you are a novice or experienced lifter?

WTF?

How much experience you have won't suddenly signal your body NOT to use the milk you're drinking to recover and aid its growth. Wow...just wow.
That's not what I meant for you to hear.
Old 11-03-2010, 06:41 PM   #22
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Wheeler View Post
Chris,

It definitely has alot to do with calories, but it also has an anabolic effect above and beyond simply the calories.

"The Raw milk dealio is significant. Raw (grassfed) milk has some protease inhibitors (enzymes that block the breakdown of certain proteins) that enhance the expression of a number of different growth factors: IGF's 1-3, EGF, Insulin, and it down regulates IGF-3 binding protein. All the aforementioned items are growth promoters, the removal of IGF3-binding protein is likely the most important in the muscle building sense. Regular milk also has this effect, but somewhat less potent"-Robb Wolf
Trust me, it isn't that. You would get the same, or a VERY similar effect consuming the same number of calories of just about anything.
Old 11-03-2010, 06:52 PM   #23
Thomas Green

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Mason View Post
Trust me, it isn't that. You would get the same, or a VERY similar effect consuming the same number of calories of just about anything.
I'll take your word for it.
Old 11-03-2010, 07:44 PM   #24
Chris Mason

Profile:

Thanks, and I am not saying milk isn't good, merely it isn't some magic food. It is a good food for those looking to gain some muscular weight and don't have any form of food allergy to it.
Old 11-04-2010, 08:21 PM   #25
Júlíus Magnússon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Green View Post
I was 11% last time I had it measured. Not talking about using it for people w/ bodyfat issues, I'm talking about people who are already somewhat muscular to begin with.
You'd most likely get fat really fast on GOMAD unless you had some special "vitamins" to go with it.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:05 PM   #26
Andrew Bell

Profile:

I did a 1/2 GOMAD for about a month. I used a high protein type of 2% milk and much of it had protein in it. I saw some great results, but I also worked HARD. Lifts went up, fat came down. I was 220 to start with, and I was 220 when I ended. Now I just cut out the milk for a month and leaned up a bit while my lifts have stayed the same. My coach said the other day that I look a lot more musclar and lean before I started.
Old 11-05-2010, 03:01 AM   #27
Peter Rocchio

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Júlíus Magnússon View Post
You'd most likely get fat really fast on GOMAD unless you had some special "vitamins" to go with it.
You get about 40% fat and 60% lean tissue growth with GOMAD. Building lean tissue is far harder than stripping off fat. It is very much worth it.
Old 11-06-2010, 06:37 PM   #28
Thomas Green

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Bell View Post
I did a 1/2 GOMAD for about a month. I used a high protein type of 2% milk and much of it had protein in it. I saw some great results, but I also worked HARD. Lifts went up, fat came down. I was 220 to start with, and I was 220 when I ended. Now I just cut out the milk for a month and leaned up a bit while my lifts have stayed the same. My coach said the other day that I look a lot more musclar and lean before I started.
That's pretty cool that it gave you a recomp effect. Never would have expected that, unless you were doing a lot of high intensity metcons or a lot of biking/running/cardio. Yeah, I wasn't actually planning on doing the full gallon, just adding more milk to my diet.

Thanks for the feedback.
Old 11-06-2010, 07:47 PM   #29
Andrew Bell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Green View Post
That's pretty cool that it gave you a recomp effect. Never would have expected that, unless you were doing a lot of high intensity metcons or a lot of biking/running/cardio. Yeah, I wasn't actually planning on doing the full gallon, just adding more milk to my diet.

Thanks for the feedback.
Worked out 4-6 days a week, doing one of the 2 types of workouts:
1) 1 or 2 days a week - jog 3-6 miles
2) 3 days a week - Olympic lift workout (30 minutes), strength work (10-20 minutes), heavy (as in heavy weights) met con (nothing over 12 minutes)

I should also add that the milk I used was a 2% fat, high protein type sold at the local grocery store. It's great stuff and I would often mix in some protein powder.

I have a half marathon next weekend and after that I'm going to go on a major bulk to see what I can get. I want to hit a 400 deadlift by December 31, and I did 385 for a double Thursday. My Coach thinks I can hit 420 for a single by that date if we work for it. I think that's a bit high but we shall see.

I'm sure that I could have gained more strength/muscle without doing the met con and the jogging but I wasn't willing to gain THAT much more fat just to have to cut so I kept up the met con. I also think the switch to more olympic lifting based workouts helped a lot to.

ALSO - Since coming off it I have dropped down some fat.

Last edited by Andrew Bell : 11-06-2010 at 08:09 PM.
Old 11-07-2010, 02:09 PM   #30
Júlíus Magnússon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Rocchio View Post
You get about 40% fat and 60% lean tissue growth with GOMAD. Building lean tissue is far harder than stripping off fat. It is very much worth it.
As a skinny novice, maybe. As an intermediate or advanced lifter with considerable muscle mass already you generally won't get those kinds of results.

Last edited by Júlíus Magnússon : 11-07-2010 at 02:11 PM.