CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 10-28-2010, 01:05 PM   #11
David Meverden

Profile:
Re: multi-vitamin daily necessary or overkill?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Tluczek View Post
Studies show individuals who take a multi-vitamin are in general healthier, live longer, and lead more fruitful lives.
I haven't seen any research to this effect. I would love to see links.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Marturano View Post
I like the article, Doc, but noticed it was not cited. Can you share any studies that evaluate measurable end points (things like, but not necessarily, mortality, longevity, performance, body composition, cancer or heart disease rates, etc) and show positive effects for the zinc, magnesium, and vitamin E supplementation, or a similar multi to the one you recommend?

I'm interested in knowing if this stuff is merely SUPPOSED to be better for us, or if it has shown, with an effect on measurable endpoints, to actually BE better for us.

Thanks!
Old 10-28-2010, 01:21 PM   #12
Jason Martin

Profile:

I tried out that Fitday website... and with the exception of Vitamin D, every single vitamin/mineral category was >100% of the daily recommended amount. Some of them like C, B, etc. were like 400%-800% heh...

I eat a ton of veggies, a few fruits, meats, etc. The "paleo" thing I suppose... although I like peanuts and cottage cheese. Oh.... and my 5 daily chocolate kisses... I am NEVER giving those little friends up.

I sure as heck won't be buying any multivitamins. I am pretty sure I get all that I need from my food.
Old 10-28-2010, 02:07 PM   #13
Júlíus Magnússon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Riddle View Post
If any multi-vitamin decides to go the mega amount route they could be bad for you (water soluble vitamins like C being an exception)...
That's not true. Taking large dozes of antioxidants has been shown to increase risk for certain types of cancer. Also, vitamin C, enhances our iron absorption. Most people have too much iron in their bodies already, which combined with excessive vitamin C consumption can lead to some serious heart problems.
Old 10-28-2010, 02:14 PM   #14
Steven Low

Profile:

Best to get all your vitamins and minerals from real food.

A multi here and there probably won't hurt. If you're eating well you shouldn't have to take one except maybe once or twice a week though.

Megadosing as stated before can actually increase risk of problems.
Old 10-28-2010, 02:15 PM   #15
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Júlíus Magnússon View Post
Most people have too much iron in their bodies already, which combined with excessive vitamin C consumption can lead to some serious heart problems.
Most men, maybe. Premenopausal women, not so much.

Katherine
Old 10-28-2010, 04:14 PM   #16
Brian O'Laughlin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Martin View Post
I tried out that Fitday website... and with the exception of Vitamin D, every single vitamin/mineral category was >100% of the daily recommended amount. Some of them like C, B, etc. were like 400%-800% heh...
If these percentages are the US-RDA, I'm not sure why they would have any more credibility than the "food pyramid".
Old 10-28-2010, 06:40 PM   #17
Barrett Reznick

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Om Puri View Post
i take a multi-vitamin 2 or 3 times a week and not daily - the reason being that i eat healthy whole foods and get my minerals & nutrients from that. i'm hesitant to take a multi-vitamin daily as i don't want my body to become dependent on the multi-vitamins and become less efficient at absorbing nutrients & minerals from whole foods.
i take 4g of fish oil daily as i don't think my whole foods can provide the omega 3 EPA & DHA.
thoughts anyone?
On 4g of fish oil, have you ever had your liver enzymes tested? I was taking 4-5g a day and my blood results came back with elevated liver enzymes. My wife (who is a Health Care Professional (PA)) showed me a study that showed that too much fish oil can elevate liver enzymes. I dropped down to 1g a day and now they are back in the normal range.

Not saying that you cant take that much, (because some people are fine taking that much) but you may want to get your blood panel done.

Oh! I encourage people to refute what I just said by posting or sending me reliable (journals, not news/blog stuff) info why I should take more and not overwork my liver. I liked taking that much and I want to fight my wife on the issue, but she has the upperhand now.
Old 10-28-2010, 06:48 PM   #18
Júlíus Magnússon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrett Reznick View Post
On 4g of fish oil, have you ever had your liver enzymes tested? I was taking 4-5g a day and my blood results came back with elevated liver enzymes. My wife (who is a Health Care Professional (PA)) showed me a study that showed that too much fish oil can elevate liver enzymes. I dropped down to 1g a day and now they are back in the normal range.

Not saying that you cant take that much, (because some people are fine taking that much) but you may want to get your blood panel done.

Oh! I encourage people to refute what I just said by posting or sending me reliable (journals, not news/blog stuff) info why I should take more and not overwork my liver. I liked taking that much and I want to fight my wife on the issue, but she has the upperhand now.
Only take as much as you need to in order to balance your n3/n6 ratio. If you're grain/legume/dairy free and all your protein is based on grassfed meat and seafood, you may not need any n3 supplementation at all.

Diet, sleep, stress, exercise are all a factor in how much omega 3 you should take so we can't exactly tell you if you need more or less than 4 grams.
Old 10-28-2010, 07:44 PM   #19
Matthew Marturano

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Martin View Post
I'm curious to know what was your average daily caloric intake?

Also, if you can export the data and send it to me I would love to see what that looks like. PM if you are willing to do that.
Old 10-28-2010, 07:45 PM   #20
Matthew Marturano

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrett Reznick View Post
I was taking 4-5g a day and my blood results came back with elevated liver enzymes.
Which product were you using?

Quote:
My wife (who is a Health Care Professional (PA)) showed me a study that showed that too much fish oil can elevate liver enzymes.
Can you provide a reference or link to that study?