CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 10-27-2010, 08:33 AM   #1
Jason Panicaro

Profile:
Adding HIIT to my daily WOD

Hey guys I did some searching and have read faqs but still had a question. I am considering adding some short HIIT running to my daily workout. I do all the WOD's at night with my wife and a few friends. But I typically get up around 6 am and do not have to be to work until 8, so typically I just sit and watch tv. I was wondering if adding a short HIIT routine in the morning would be beneficial or not. Nothing real intense, something along the lines of 5 min warmup, sprint 30, rest 30 for say 5 or 6 times and then a 5 min cooldown. Thanks guys
Old 10-27-2010, 08:51 AM   #2
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:
Re: Adding HIIT to my daily WOD

Isn't "non-intense" HIIT sort of a contradiction?

What are your goals? Why don't you think the WOD is enough?

Katherine
Old 10-27-2010, 09:29 AM   #3
Rebecca Roth

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
Isn't "non-intense" HIIT sort of a contradiction?
What she said. The question is a bit confusing, but if you are specifically looking to strengthen your running skills you should probably look at the endurance wod for running every day (http://www.crossfitendurance.com/ wfs) or try tabata sprints (http://www.marksdailyapple.com/what-are-tabata-sprints/ wfs).
Old 10-27-2010, 09:56 AM   #4
Justin McGinley

Profile:

Take that time to do the mobolity WOD of the day... http://mobilitywod.blogspot.com/ wfs

And if you can, try to get another hour of sleep.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:25 AM   #5
Jason Panicaro

Profile:

Yeah after I read it I saw that non instense HIIT sounds funny, I guess because my idea of HIIT is alot longer than 5 or 6 rounds, therefore its not as intense as could be. Im looking to lose weight and gain some lean muscle but mainly lose weight and tone up. I do think the WOD is enough, but I am really getting into this working out thing 110% and felt like that would add something for me, plus running any distance longer than the football field or from home to third base has never been my strong suit. So running more seems ideal to me. For the person who said get an extra hour of sleep if I wake up at 6 I am getting a solid 8 hours or more of sleep. My wife wakes up at 6 and once the alarm goes off and she starts getting ready I really dont fall back alseep.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:26 AM   #6
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

I second the advice to work on mobility. At least around my affiliate, that's a serious serious weakness for most Crossfitters.

Katherine
Old 10-27-2010, 10:38 AM   #7
Jason Panicaro

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
I second the advice to work on mobility. At least around my affiliate, that's a serious serious weakness for most Crossfitters.

Katherine
Understood and from what I can tell by looking at real quick, is thats all about stretching and being flexible to do the CF excersises correct? I do a pretty good stretching routine every night, my wife was a gymnast so being flexible was always a big deal to her, and since im not very flexible she has been working on this with me.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:30 AM   #8
Rebecca Roth

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Panicaro View Post
Im looking to lose weight and gain some lean muscle but mainly lose weight and tone up.
Sorry, but this will mainly come down to diet not adding some running in. If you are doing the wod and not seeing the weight loss you want, its entirely because your diet isn't dialed in. I'm in the same boat, just keep tweaking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Panicaro View Post
I do think the WOD is enough, but I am really getting into this working out thing 110% and felt like that would add something for me, plus running any distance longer than the football field or from home to third base has never been my strong suit.
This is reasonable, but separate from your focus of weight loss. You have a great mindset, most of us know our weaknesses but a lot people avoid those things intentionally rather than giving them extra attention, kudos! You could really go either way on this, if you feel you have the energy/ability to add more work beyond the wod, then sure add a short sprint interval session as you described... however to me, that sounds pretty much like part of a cardio warmup that you would do before your wod. At my gym we rotate cardio warmups on bike, rower, or sprints, so if I were focusing on improving run times I would probably just switch to doing sprints for my cardio warmup for half of my training days each week.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:55 AM   #9
Jason Panicaro

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca Roth View Post
Sorry, but this will mainly come down to diet not adding some running in. If you are doing the wod and not seeing the weight loss you want, its entirely because your diet isn't dialed in. I'm in the same boat, just keep tweaking.

Yeah my diet is dialed in pretty good, im basically eating paleo right now. On a scale of 1 to 10 (1 being non paleo and 10 strict) I am at like a 6 or 7 or so. I am basically trying to slowly bring myself into eating paleo, as to not shock my system and hate it and revert back to bad eating habits. I am seeing weight loss results and they are coming quickly and I am very excited about that. My goal is to start paleo 110% the 1st of November.

Quote:
This is reasonable, but separate from your focus of weight loss. You have a great mindset, most of us know our weaknesses but a lot people avoid those things intentionally rather than giving them extra attention, kudos! You could really go either way on this, if you feel you have the energy/ability to add more work beyond the wod, then sure add a short sprint interval session as you described... however to me, that sounds pretty much like part of a cardio warmup that you would do before your wod. At my gym we rotate cardio warmups on bike, rower, or sprints, so if I were focusing on improving run times I would probably just switch to doing sprints for my cardio warmup for half of my training days each week.

I do a short cardio warmup before the wods as well. I guess my main reason for wanting to do something in the morning is I feel really lazy waking up and just sitting for an hour or more, especially since once im at work I sit all day.
Old 10-27-2010, 02:41 PM   #10
Júlíus Magnússon

Profile:

Strength work in the morning and conditioning in the evening sounds like a pretty sweet setup.

Last edited by Júlíus Magnússon : 10-27-2010 at 02:47 PM.