CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 10-01-2010, 08:07 AM   #1
Clint Chizinski

Profile:
Slow Cooked Vegetable Recipe?

Guys -

I'm having trouble getting vegetables in my diet. I am looking for a recipe for a slow cooker where I can mix a bunch of nutritious vegetables together, cook overnight and just have 8-10 servings ready to go during the week. I've searched quite a bit for a good recipe like this but haven't found anything suitable. Please if you have one, let me know...thanks!

Also, it doesn't necessarily have to be a slow-cooker recipe. I just want to have a recipe with multiple high-quality vegetables that I can split up and have one serving of with my meals.

Thank you!
Old 10-01-2010, 08:28 AM   #2
Kris Fischer

Profile:
Re: Slow Cooked Vegetable Recipe?

I nuke a bag of frozen vegetables everyday to eat with my lunch.
Old 10-01-2010, 08:33 AM   #3
Allen Tluczek

Profile:

Most vegetables don't hold up too well to being cooked for that amount of time. Potatoes, onions, celery, carrots, and possibly green peppers would work.

Here (WFS) is a recipe. You can probably exclude the tapioca and sugar and be fine.

I'd imagine you could also come up with a vegetable curry/chilli.
Alton Brown from Food Network has a good sounding curry you can find on google.
Old 10-01-2010, 08:59 AM   #4
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

What Allen said. Slow-cooking vegetables is usually a good way to make mush.

I'd use the slow cooker to make a stew, with lots of carrots, onions, and potatoes. Then I'd make a gigantic green salad and chop up a big pile of bell peppers. Some days I'd munch on the salad, some days I'd throw some of the peppers into a stir fry.

I also wouldn't turn up my nose at frozen veggies from the grocery store. No prep needed, just steam for five minutes in the microwave.

Katherine
Old 10-01-2010, 05:06 PM   #5
Yahya Kohgadai

Profile:

it seems like the volume of the slow cooker is what you're really after.. Why don't you get a big stock pot? Try this:

chop up an onion or two and a few tomatoes and sautee it until lightly browned w/maybe a quarter cup of oil.

Add 2-3 cups of tomato sauce some italian herbs or seasoning and let it simmer on low for about 15 minutes.

Then add your chopped up veggies:
okra
celery
eggplant
brussels sprouts

add water or broth, just enough so that the tomato sauce is more liquidy than viscous, cover and heat on med/low for 10-15 minues

Then add chopped up cilantro and mix.

put it in a big tupperware dish in the fridge and you're set..

it'll be kinda soupy depending on how much water you use and will look something like the attached picture:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0930100915.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	113.7 KB
ID:	7059  
Old 10-01-2010, 06:33 PM   #6
Clint Chizinski

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahya Kohgadai View Post
it seems like the volume of the slow cooker is what you're really after.. Why don't you get a big stock pot? Try this:

chop up an onion or two and a few tomatoes and sautee it until lightly browned w/maybe a quarter cup of oil.

Add 2-3 cups of tomato sauce some italian herbs or seasoning and let it simmer on low for about 15 minutes.......

Thanks man you hit the nail on the head -- it's the volume I'm going after. This recipe looks great I will definitely give it a shot tomorrow. Much appreciated.
Old 10-01-2010, 09:43 PM   #7
Andrew Thompson

Profile:

I use the slow cooker to make sweet potatoes. Just throw a bunch in there, and cook on low for about 6 hours. When they are done, I usually just remove the skin, and mash them up.

I store them in a container in the fridge. Throughout the week, I just pull put how much I want and add cream, or butter, or chipotle, or whatever I am feeling at the time.

Sweet potatoes are a staple in my diet, so this works really well for me.
Old 10-04-2010, 08:17 AM   #8
Allen Tluczek

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Thompson View Post
I use the slow cooker to make sweet potatoes. Just throw a bunch in there, and cook on low for about 6 hours. When they are done, I usually just remove the skin, and mash them up.

I store them in a container in the fridge. Throughout the week, I just pull put how much I want and add cream, or butter, or chipotle, or whatever I am feeling at the time.

Sweet potatoes are a staple in my diet, so this works really well for me.
I might have to try this- I haven't had sweet potatoes basically since I left home, and I had always loved them. No water or spices in the cooker? Have you had them hold up to 8-10 hours of cooking? How about cinnamon/butter for 10 hours on low?

Also the stock pot recipe sounds fantastic- I might have to get that going some time this week, perhaps the day I go all out and do my planned honey mustard glazed brisket.
Old 10-04-2010, 08:25 AM   #9
Meghan Reid

Profile:

Missed this before, sorry.

I get 2-2.5 pounds of brussels sprouts from the Wegman's bin. Cut off the stalks and cut em in half. Spread out on a baking sheet (or 2). Drizzle with EVOO or bacon fat. Roast around 40-45 minutes at 375-400 degrees, depending on your oven. I like mine pretty burnt so keep an eye on them after about 35 minutes.

I eat this **** like popcorn, no lie.
Old 10-04-2010, 08:43 AM   #10
Andrew Thompson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Tluczek View Post
I might have to try this- I haven't had sweet potatoes basically since I left home, and I had always loved them. No water or spices in the cooker? Have you had them hold up to 8-10 hours of cooking? How about cinnamon/butter for 10 hours on low?

I have not tried it with water or spices, just because I like to keep them pretty neutral. That way I can add whatever I want to them later depending on what I am having them with. I can add cayenne, and bacon fat if I am doing southern food, chipotle if I am doing southwestern food, coconut milk if I am feeling something thai inspired, etc..

I have not left them in there for longer than 6 hours. I would imagine they would just continue to get softer?