CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 09-18-2010, 08:22 AM   #11
Blaine Cardinale

Profile:
Re: Which Paleo Book?

I own both the Sisson's Primal Blueprint and Cordain's The Paleo Diet.

I enjoyed reading Sisson's more, but both were informative. Sisson's wasn't as dry and contained a lot more lifestyle (sleep, eat, work, play) advice than Cordain's (as previously mentioned). Truthfully though, you don't need either to learn how to eat/live paleo. There is plenty of free information available on the interwebs to glean from. I probably wasted a few dollars worth of buffalo burgers buying the paper books, and if I had only bought one it would be Primal Blueprint.
Old 09-18-2010, 09:26 AM   #12
Michael Dries

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Meverden View Post
I didn't know Robb Wolf wrote a book! That's great!

I've the The Paleo Diet, and Paleo Diet for Athletes, and can say that the one for athletes is the better of the two for CFers, though it is ideally suited to endurance athletes. His first book revolves more around weight loss. If you want to get serious about endurance training, pick up Paleo for Athletes.

Based on what amazon says about Robb Wolfs book it looks like that would be even BETTER for CFers than the others, though I obviously haven't read it.

Actually after reading it (twice) the target audience is really banged up out of shape folks. There's a little bit about post workout nutrition but to be honest he's got more performance oriented information in his podcasts.

This is why i like the book, I can recommend it to non-crossfiter who just want to know more when they ask me how i lost 60 lbs in a year.
Old 09-18-2010, 01:20 PM   #13
David Meverden

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Dries View Post
Actually after reading it (twice) the target audience is really banged up out of shape folks. There's a little bit about post workout nutrition but to be honest he's got more performance oriented information in his podcasts.

This is why i like the book, I can recommend it to non-crossfiter who just want to know more when they ask me how i lost 60 lbs in a year.
Good to know, Michael.

And good point, Blaine. I change my vote to: get whatever book your library has available for free, then get the rest from free online resources (this board, Robb Wolfs site, etc).
Old 09-18-2010, 08:46 PM   #14
Andrew Thompson

Profile:

I totally agree with gaining as much free information as possible from the internet, library, etc. Nothing wrong with that at all.

I also believe, though, that you must help support the people that are out there writing the books, doing the research, etc.. This is how these guys make their living, and if we want them to keep putting out great info (both the free stuff like podcasts and the not-free stuff like books) then they have to be able to make a living. Purchasing their pay material helps them to be able to do exactly this.

Just my two cents.
Old 09-18-2010, 10:38 PM   #15
Jesse Gray

Profile:

Robb's new book is the way to go, after that primal blue print. Both of Cordain's books are getting a bit dated at this point although they are a good jumping off point for paleo.
Old 09-19-2010, 07:39 AM   #16
Noah Martin

Profile:

Read robb's book yesterday... I need to read it again to get everything of what he was saying...

I found it interesting that not even a single mention of crossfit, unless I missed it, even aside from the wolf/crossfit falling out....

The book has load a of scientific info and I think anyone can benefit from simply jumping to his 30-day diet plan which looks rather simple and delicious and taking part....

If you want to be able to argue and prove to people why you should eat this way, read the book a few times and you'll be a pro.
Old 09-19-2010, 07:49 AM   #17
David McGlame

Profile:

I have read both Paleo Diet, and Primal Blueprint. Both are good but if you had to pick one I would pick Primal blueprint because it reads better and adresses a whole life style. I will probably pick up Robb's book soon.
Old 09-20-2010, 09:03 AM   #18
Liz Stanley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Thompson View Post
I look forward to reading The Paleo Solution. I have already heard a lot of great things about it.

Was Primal Body Primal Mind good?
Yes, I've read it and it is very good.
Old 09-20-2010, 02:36 PM   #19
Jason Peacock

Profile:

After reading the more diet focused Paleo books, I'd also recommend Michael Pollan's "Omnivore's Dilemma" and Lorain Keith's "The Vegetarian Myth".

Especially Vegetarian Myth, both have lots of good information to reinforce and clarify the Paleo principles.

And I guess if you really want to be educated then you should read some of the enemy, like "The China Study", but be sure to google for more info after reading that book to learn about its shortcomings (which are numerous and chronic).

That would be good threadjack - what other books are recommended reading from the enemy? (the vegetarian/vegan bibles)
Old 09-20-2010, 04:44 PM   #20
Eric DeAngelis

Profile:

In order:

The Paleo Solution
The Paleo Diet
Primal Blueprint
Protien Power
Lights Out; Sugar, sleep, and survival
In the Defense of Food
Mike O'Connels (SP?) E-book on IF