CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 09-08-2010, 07:58 AM   #1
Alicia Sloan

Profile:
Curious about Paleo challenge ... but ...

How does this work if you function on little to no sleep? I get about 3 hours per night, 6 (broken) hours on a good night. It sucks, and I can't change it right now, but I'll make due.

I know a lot of people report that they feel crappy initially but then much better after - perhaps if I'm going to be tired/exhausted anyways, I might as well give it a go? I'm interested in going 100% Paleo eventually.
Old 09-08-2010, 08:07 AM   #2
Scott Donchak

Profile:
Re: Curious about Paleo challenge ... but ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia Sloan View Post
How does this work if you function on little to no sleep? I get about 3 hours per night, 6 (broken) hours on a good night. It sucks, and I can't change it right now, but I'll make due.

I know a lot of people report that they feel crappy initially but then much better after - perhaps if I'm going to be tired/exhausted anyways, I might as well give it a go? I'm interested in going 100% Paleo eventually.

Quote:
Quote:
I get about 3 hours per night, 6 (broken) hours on a good night. It sucks, and I can't change it right now, but I'll make due.
Quote:
I get about 3 hours per night, 6 (broken) hours on a good night.
Quote:
I get about 3 hours per night
Quote:
3 hours per night

Paleo diet seems to work well for most people, but everyone's different. It also depends on your goals.

Without enough sleep though, you are going to have a very difficult time increasing your overall fitness level.

Step 1) Sleep more
Step 2) Start Paleo
Step 3) Do WODs
Step 4) ???
Step 5) Profit
Old 09-08-2010, 08:15 AM   #3
Alicia Sloan

Profile:

I know, I know Scott It's bad. I really don't have a choice. I would love to sleep more - but I have a 12 week old son who has decided otherwise
Old 09-08-2010, 08:19 AM   #4
Meghan Reid

Profile:

It seriously couldn't hurt. I think the biggies on here in terms of body comp and performance are:

1. Nutrition
2. Training
3. SLEEP
4. Recovery (goes with sleep but includes rest days/stretching/icing/SMR, etc)

If you can't dial in one for whatever reason, the more you can dial in the others, the better off you'll always be. Eating better will NEVER hurt you. Yes you might feel worse for like, a week while you adjust but I guarantee you, if you're eating a Standard American Diet right now (full of processed carbs) you will ultimately feel SO much better throughout the day. You are already overtired from not sleeping, you don't need the sugar highs and lows.

I mean, what's the worst that could happen? You try it and you feel tired? That seems to be how things are now for you. LOL.

Go get it girl.
Old 09-08-2010, 08:23 AM   #5
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Eating better should improve the quality of your sleep--seeing how you can't do much about quantity at the moment, quality is important. I know when I have a stretch where I eat badly I toss and turn all night, but when I've been eating clean I tend to sleep a lot deeper. I think I've read somewhere that it has something to do with reduced inflammation.

Vitamin D3, fish oil, and ZMA or calcium/magnesium/zinc may also help.
Old 09-08-2010, 08:32 AM   #6
Andrew Thompson

Profile:

As I read your original post, I was thiniking to myself, "I bet she has an infant at home".

I have a 2 year old son. I know there is a big difference between 2 years old, and 12 weeks old, but I can still relate. I remember those days very well still, as they were not that long ago!

I believe diet and sleep are even more important to overall health than workouts, meaning they have a bigger impact on health than working out does.

Right now, the sleep issue is not going to change. Not until your little one is older and sleeps through the night anyways.

I think focusing on your nutrition is a good idea. I would caution to make sure that you are eating enough. A common problem it seems, and it was for me, is to wind up eating too little when making the switch to paleo/primal. Tracking in FitDay works really well. Also, if you have an iphone, there is an app called tap and track that does food recording as well. My wife uses it, and loves it.

A great book is The Primal Blueprint by Mark Sisson. It is quick and easy to read (a good thing for a parent ). It helped me tremendously with making a successful switch to paleo/primal.

Congratulations on your little one, and best of luck!
Old 09-09-2010, 07:53 AM   #7
Alicia Sloan

Profile:

Meghan- I agree, I should maximize my nutrition Plus, I get no complaints from the husband when I say I'd like to cook more meat in the house!!

Eric- Thanks for the nutrition advice. I don't take any vitamins at all and it sounds like a good idea. If I am eating salmon 2x per week, should I be taking fish oil daily still?

Andrew- So you've been there, done that? 2 years sounds like a million years from now. I'll look up that book, I love new books. He started sleeping until 4am for a few nights but then teething started! Eek! Thank you.

I haven't really done Crossfit before (I was doing Starting Strength) but I think it's a great option for someone who can only workout when someone else is napping! Thank goodness we invested in our own personal CF-friendly gym last year!
Old 09-09-2010, 08:40 AM   #8
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:

Eric- Thanks for the nutrition advice. I don't take any vitamins at all and it sounds like a good idea. If I am eating salmon 2x per week, should I be taking fish oil daily still?

[
Yes, every day. The salmon filets I get from Costco say something like 1.3g of omega 3s per serving so only eating salmon twice a week isn't enough; most people need 5-10g of EPA/DHA per day so pick up some caps or liquid fish oil. If you're only going to take one supplement, make sure it's fish oil, for more reasons than I can list here. Might as well throw in some D3 too if you don't get out in the sun a lot...D3 will only cost you about a dime a day for 5000IU.
Old 09-09-2010, 08:51 AM   #9
Alicia Sloan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
Yes, every day. The salmon filets I get from Costco say something like 1.3g of omega 3s per serving so only eating salmon twice a week isn't enough; most people need 5-10g of EPA/DHA per day so pick up some caps or liquid fish oil. If you're only going to take one supplement, make sure it's fish oil, for more reasons than I can list here. Might as well throw in some D3 too if you don't get out in the sun a lot...D3 will only cost you about a dime a day for 5000IU.
Thank you, I will go check that out too. I get a lot of sun, 1-2 hours per day (I wear the baby in a sling to walk our dog, it's like a 15lb weighted vest, hah!), but a little extra D3 shouldn't hurt. Thanks!
Old 09-09-2010, 10:02 AM   #10
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
I haven't really done Crossfit before (I was doing Starting Strength) but I think it's a great option for someone who can only workout when someone else is napping! Thank goodness we invested in our own personal CF-friendly gym last year!
As someone who has been there and done that with two kids...one of whom did not sleep through the night until 19 months old...and as much as I WANT new moms to exercise...if your baby takes a nap, GO LIE DOWN AND SLEEP. I promise that sleep is more important than CrossFit right now.