CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 05-19-2009, 11:36 AM   #11
Chris Catto

Profile:
Re: ???Big guy Running???

I am in the same boat! 6'00 235. Spend some change on a god pair of shoe. The only shoe I have found that can take the punishment of my butter chugs landing on them for miles and miles are Mizuno Wave Creations (currnent version 9) They are not cheap but if you order from Holibird they are about $110 shipped. You will not be disapointed. Then I got some "custom big guy" insoles and I am off like a shot. I was up to about 4 miles a day/5 days a week until I stopped . Give them a shot. I get about 300miles before I need a new pair. I get about 100 out of a pair of Shox
Old 05-19-2009, 03:16 PM   #12
Jacob Cloud

Profile:

shox...that's like, a bad word around here.
Old 05-19-2009, 05:05 PM   #13
Omar Omar

Profile:

I hope no one said shox as in nike shox. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

I hope you didnot pay for them alredy but running is done with new/balance or rebook ONLY. unless your running on an olympic track then you need spikes.

seriously though. nike suck so bad unless you go to the headquarters and get them to take your mesurments indivisually which will only happen if your c.ronaldo, usain bolt or someone like that.
Old 05-19-2009, 07:51 PM   #14
Andrew H. Meador

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar Omar View Post
I hope no one said shox as in nike shox. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

I hope you didnot pay for them alredy but running is done with new/balance or rebook ONLY. unless your running on an olympic track then you need spikes.

seriously though. nike suck so bad unless you go to the headquarters and get them to take your mesurments indivisually which will only happen if your c.ronaldo, usain bolt or someone like that.
Anything with a low heel and minimal padding will work. Pumas H Streets/Salohs and Vibram Five Fingers are great for mimicking barefoot running. Bolt wore Pumas at the last olympic games, btw.
Old 05-19-2009, 08:16 PM   #15
Jerry Mobbs

Profile:

Jason

For the excess weight, you just need to dial in your diet.

For running I would start sloooooow and focus on technique.

Initially, put some running in your warm up and mix it up.

Start with 400m (or a distance that you can easily run without causing any pain).

Focus on technique, not time/speed. Try and make every step perfect. Think mechanics... consistency.... then intensity

Mix up your warm up, so try 1*400, or 2*200 etc. Play around with tempo etc, but really focus on technique.

Get a coach. I tried to learn pose through watching the videos and my own self analysis. It will help, but 1 hour with a POSE coach will shorten the learning curve dramatically.

When you feel that you can run your warm ups 'perfectly' then start to SLOWLY increase the distance and or speed. Mix up the distance and tempo to make it interesting.

Take your time. I used to run marathons back in my 20s, and my running style was ugly but consistent. Now 20 years later and getting back into running, it has taken me 1 year to be able to easily run 3km barefoot on the treadmill at a body weight of 226lb. But the good news it that I have zero pain and my pose technique is 'acceptable'.

Do not take early signs of progress as a signal to increase your distance or speed too quickly.

For shoes, then Vibrams have really worked well for me. Avoid anything with a large padded heel.

Jerry
Old 05-23-2009, 08:42 AM   #16
Ed Haywood

Profile:

Don't run. It's a lousy way to lose weight. Your leg muscles will weaken, making your knees hurt even more.

Get on the Crossfit main site WOD. Get on the zone diet. The weight will come off. The combination of losing weight and strengthening your legs will get your knees healthy again. Then you can run more if you still think you need it.
Old 05-23-2009, 10:15 AM   #17
Christopher Foster

Profile:
Thumbs up Re: ???Big guy Running???

Take it slow and easy. Run short distances and eat clean. As you lose weight and gain leg/knee strength the distances will increase. Still take it slow and easy.

Taking it slow and easy I went from 290 to 195 in 3 years. Couldn't run a mile 3 years ago and my knees hurt just from standing all day. I can do 5 miles now without knee pain.
Old 05-24-2009, 11:32 AM   #18
Chris Catto

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar Omar View Post
Yes I did pay for a pair about 3 years ago...and yes they sucked. I fell for the marketing.

BUT as far as you statement of
Quote:
running is done with new/balance or rebook ONLY
You need to site your source and why not to use such great brands as Mizuno, Puma, etc. Nike does for the most part make junk, BUT when you do not fit the mold of "180lbs" then you have to look elsewhere. I kill NB's, I hate Rebook's, Mizuno Wave Creations are the only shoe that I have found that will stand up to my large frame coming crashing down on them mile after mile.