CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 06-22-2008, 10:08 AM   #11
Jill Zimmerman

Profile:

Re: GHD - How does this one look?

I love my York too, worth every penny. I have to adjust it for me depending on what I am doing and for my son. I would not get the roman chair pictured even though it is cheap. I posted elsewhere too that I got a ton (actually a quarter ton, haha) more equipment shipped with the GHD for the same shipping price from the york rep. Check it out with Allison. If you get different stuff from different places the separate shipping costs add up. I did get stuff from four places. But all the big pieces- all york stuff in one load saved me several hundred dollars in shipping if I had gotten it elsewhere.

Great explanation of the difference between Roman Chair and GHD in Starting Strength. There should be something on the home page of Crossfit that says "Read this book a couple times please!"
Old 06-23-2008, 03:29 PM   #12
Frank Cheatham

Profile:

John,
We have a York display model left in stock for $525 + shipping.
Old 06-26-2008, 07:43 AM   #13
John DiMuccio

Profile:

It seems as though these ppl offer two, one with perfectly round pelvic pads and another with "rounded" pelvic pads.. can anyone differentiate between the two as far as quality and use?

http://newyorkbarbells.tv/82626glute.html

I originally thought these were made by York, but apparently not. Is anyone familiar with either of these?

Last edited by John DiMuccio : 06-26-2008 at 08:11 AM.
Old 06-28-2008, 09:14 AM   #14
Michael Mann

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John DiMuccio View Post
It seems as though these ppl offer two, one with perfectly round pelvic pads and another with "rounded" pelvic pads.. can anyone differentiate between the two as far as quality and use?

http://newyorkbarbells.tv/82626glute.html

I originally thought these were made by York, but apparently not. Is anyone familiar with either of these?
I just picked up the $449 one for $150 through Craigslist. The GHD had been pretty pretty far down on my wish list due to space, cost etc. I figured I'd just wait and get the York when I had everything else I wanted. When I saw this one I couldn't pass it up, it was in "like new" condition and pretty solid, fully adjustable, should be fine for me.
Old 06-28-2008, 07:20 PM   #15
Tim Wheeler

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Noble View Post
There are some previous posts about the Yukon failing; and this is another one. Had it about a year, just noticed two of the welds have significant cracks in them (just glad I noticed before my next round of gh situps). All of the plastic end caps arrived cracked and broken, but I didn't really care about the aesthetics so I didn't complain. Over all the yukon is junk IMHO. Save up and buy quality.
Well that doesn't sound very promising. I just bought the yukon from a local shop on tuesday. Everything looks just fine and its seems solid and I love it. I'll just have to keep an eye on the welds.
Old 06-30-2008, 06:03 AM   #16
John DiMuccio

Profile:

After doing another search, the GHD's from that link I sent got some bad reviews. (Sorry Michael) But you seem to like it and got it for a good deal, so best of luck.
Old 07-04-2008, 07:53 AM   #17
Gary Ohm

Profile:

I am looking for a GHD for my home. The one from Newyorkbarbell looks like the way to go for home use. I have read about the Yukons failing and being wobbly. The commercial ones run seven or eight hundred dollars. The New York Barbell looks like the only happy medium. I have checked Craig's list and I guess I just live too far out in BFE to find one of these.

Has anyone found anything else that fits the bill for a longterm use home peice of equipment?
Old 07-08-2008, 12:38 PM   #18
Gary Ohm

Profile:

I followed another link in another thread to this site. What do y'all think of this thing? It seems like you cannot get as much extension but perhaps it can be put on a raised platform. It is still aweful expensive...

http://store.sorinex.com/Poor_Man_s_...m_p/pmgh-1.htm
Old 07-08-2008, 05:46 PM   #19
Adam Moreno

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Ohm View Post
I followed another link in another thread to this site. What do y'all think of this thing? It seems like you cannot get as much extension but perhaps it can be put on a raised platform. It is still aweful expensive...

http://store.sorinex.com/Poor_Man_s_...m_p/pmgh-1.htm
I don't think you can do a full glute ham raise with this thing. You'll be able to do the top half of the lift (knee flexion) but I doubt you'll have enough range to do the bottom half of the lift (hip flexion). For the money, you might as well get a real bench.

Last edited by Adam Moreno : 07-08-2008 at 05:48 PM.
Old 07-09-2008, 06:57 AM   #20
Arturo Garcia

Profile:

My goodness... these things are expensive, I didn't think they would cost so much, being such simple pieces of equipment. I guess I'll stick to using my bench across my body and racking my feet on the power rack