CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 01-03-2015, 04:29 AM   #1
Anders Jensen

Profile:
How small can I make my Crossfit gym?

I am building a new house, and I would like to build a Crossfit gym for my self in connection with it. It should be possible for 4 persons to do crossfit.com Wods in the gym at the same time. What is the minimum size?

I am thinking about 6x6 meters (19,7x19,7 feets), but will it be too small?
Old 01-03-2015, 07:22 AM   #2
mike vinson

Profile:
Re: How small can I make my Crossfit gym?

My 2 car garage is about the same size. More than 2 people doing Olympic lifts is scary...if you're getting to build it...think about height...rope climbs and muscle ups.
Old 01-03-2015, 08:44 AM   #3
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Depends on the movements, but I would think that that would be too small.

Consider (in addition to what Mike said) how much room you would require to keep four people safe and uninhibited/unimpeded when they're all doing kettlebell swings, jumping rope, Olympic lifting, etc....

Also, be careful what kind of garage door you have put on. The door on my garage, when up, hangs probably a foot or so from the ceiling. That is low enough that it prevents me from using the space below the door for box jumps, jumping rope, or putting any weight overhead. I can still do a large number of other movements in that space, so it isn't wasted space by any means, but I sure wish I had a door that hugged the ceiling tightly.

If you have pullup bars installed, remember that they will have the same height-limiting effect as my garage door; i.e. the space under and around the bars is lost for any movement that requires much overhead clearance. If you are planning for four people, this is a significant issue.

- Mark
Old 01-03-2015, 08:59 AM   #4
Christopher Morris

Profile:

My garage gym space is 11.5ft x 11.5ft (3.5m x 3.5m). It's okay for two people doing lightweight metcon barbell movements. If anyone is doing heavy barbell movements, it's better for one person only to be in that space. If we set up a workout with simultaneous stations (like Fight Gone Bad), then we can have up to four in that space, but that gets tight. (Now that I think of it, when we have one rowing station, the rower is outside that space.)

My wife often has a couple of friends come over the workout, and they'll have three to four people in that space, but one is often outside the actual gym space doing work.

I think 6m x 6m would feel a little crowded for four people doing barbell movements.
Old 01-03-2015, 09:53 AM   #5
Shawn M Wilson

Profile:

A height of 12-13 feet would be best if wanting muscle ups and anyone is taller than 6 feet. also allows for wall balls for men

9x9 meters would work well for 4 people but again Olympic lifts can be a pain when close if the bar gets away.
At that point would almost say look for a steel building.
Old 01-03-2015, 05:32 PM   #6
Mike Hollister

Profile:

4 8x8 platforms, each with an R3 or similar in between them would be a minimum 16 by 16. Then there's no room for storage, GHD, rower, etc. I would personally want 20 feet for width and >30 for length for 4 people being able to do olympic lifts plus room for floor stuff.