CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 02-05-2014, 09:41 AM   #1
Keith Molloy

Profile:
Simple question that i should of asked all along?

Hi guys, this is my third thread (apologies) but this is ultimately what i have been trying to ask but haven't got a definitive answer, most replies confuse me to be honest ha

Currently my training consists of a main lift followed by a metcon
For example, Mon is over head press, Tuesday is Deadlift, Thursday is bench and Friday is Squat, we do 3 sets (following Jim wendlers 531) followed by relatively heavy metcon for anywhere between 8 minutes and 15 minutes, these are intense and tough workouts!

For example yesterday we did Deadlifts, 3rd set was pretty tough and then we did 5 Deadlifts, 5 power cleans, 5 front squats, 5 push press (which btw we seem to do an awful lot of) and 5 back squats, this was done for 5 rounds using moderately heavy weight! I thought this was assistance work for hypertrophy but have been informed it's conditioning

Given that my goal is to get bigger, stronger and a little fitter would be nice to i guess but i feel this current programme is takin alot out of me, especially the metcons and it's not worth the return iam getting?

What i want to know is this, could i follow all pros routine in the mornings 3x a week and continue my current programme each evening or would this be too much and am i best to completely drop what iam doing and follow all pros on its own and just do hit on my off days?
Old 02-05-2014, 10:00 AM   #2
Tim Alford

Profile:
Re: Simple question that i should of asked all along?

Bro, you don't really want to hear what everyone has to say; because its already been said. 5/3/1 is a great program. If you are too beat up from metcons then focus on assistance work and do 1/2 metcons a week. You'll get stronger and bigger doing 5/3/1 and eating properly. Fact.
Old 02-05-2014, 10:20 AM   #3
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Molloy View Post

What i want to know is this, could i follow all pros routine in the mornings 3x a week and continue my current programme each evening or would this be too much and am i best to completely drop what iam doing and follow all pros on its own and just do hit on my off days?
sure you could, but it would be too much and it is a terrible plan. just pick a proven program and stick with it. don't add a bunch together. don't make your own secret sauce program. either do the program at your gym or pick something else. first you need to decide if your main goal is to get bigger or stronger. you can and will do both, but different programs priority is one or the other. but in the end you need to stick with a plan for several months and give it time to work without switching around and jumping around all the time. getting bigger and stronger takes time no matter what program you do. and of course you have to eat and rest for it to work. the plan you are doing looks good with 5/3/1 plus heavy metcons for getting bigger and stronger. add in a few sets of other stuff on those days if you like. eat alot, rest alot. or just keep insisting on doing your own thing.
Old 02-05-2014, 10:42 AM   #4
Keith Molloy

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Alford View Post
Bro, you don't really want to hear what everyone has to say; because its already been said. 5/3/1 is a great program. If you are too beat up from metcons then focus on assistance work and do 1/2 metcons a week. You'll get stronger and bigger doing 5/3/1 and eating properly. Fact.
But i have been told that the metcons will NOT build strength nor size so i feel like iam spending 5 - 6 mins a day on performing 3 sets of whatever the main lift is that day, how on earth can that get me bigger and stronger??

This programme seems like an altered version of Jim wendlers 531 without any assistance work but metcons instead and although my strength might go up in mainlifts, they're can't possibly be enough strength work to build size to, I feel like iam doing metcons everyday to get fit n supplementing with 5 mins strength work, that's what it feels like!

Last edited by Keith Molloy : 02-05-2014 at 10:45 AM.
Old 02-05-2014, 10:50 AM   #5
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

I replied on your other thread.

Short answer is that if you want to get bigger and stronger, you shouldn't be doing CF stuff 5-6x per week on top of your current strength work. But three good sets are enough to get bigger and stronger if you do them right.
Old 02-05-2014, 10:56 AM   #6
Keith Molloy

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
I replied on your other thread.

Short answer is that if you want to get bigger and stronger, you shouldn't be doing CF stuff 5-6x per week on top of your current strength work. But three good sets are enough to get bigger and stronger if you do them right.
So what would you recommend? Iam doing 5 metcons a week, 4 are heavy strength based metcons but i feel they won't benefit me much in terms of strength and size, I would rather have rest periods and go a little heavier for strength! Wednesday's met con is more endurance and doesn't involve a main lift, it's usually things like burpees, kettkebell swings and so forth, equally as tough but the reps are alot higher and it's a longer metcon them the ones on strength days, Do you guys honestly feel a beginner will get bigger and stronger on this?
Old 02-05-2014, 11:03 AM   #7
Tim Alford

Profile:

Crossfit may not be for you man. Unless you're a freak like Khalipa it won't make you "huge". It will make you fit. If you are warming up and doing warm up sets then building to your 3-3-1+ (or whatever the week is) you should feel pretty beat up. Add a little assistance work and call it a day (then eat like crazy.) that's my .02 take it for what it's worth!
Old 02-05-2014, 11:13 AM   #8
Keith Molloy

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Alford View Post
Crossfit may not be for you man. Unless you're a freak like Khalipa it won't make you "huge". It will make you fit. If you are warming up and doing warm up sets then building to your 3-3-1+ (or whatever the week is) you should feel pretty beat up. Add a little assistance work and call it a day (then eat like crazy.) that's my .02 take it for what it's worth!

I can't add anything unless i do twice a day workouts because what i have mentioned already is done in a group setting so there's no time to add anything, we spend close to 20 mins rolling, 10 on the main lift, a break for about 5 mins and then 10 - 15 on metcon so if iam to add anything id have to go to open gym in the mornings! And just to note, I don't want to get huge but i want to be big enough that ppl can clearly see i workout, some guys have muscle but ye can't tell unless they take they're top off, I wanna be bigger then that at least
Old 02-05-2014, 11:17 AM   #9
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Please read my reply on your other (identical) thread. The answer would be to cut back on the CF stuff and add assistance work.
Old 02-05-2014, 11:22 AM   #10
Keith Molloy

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
Please read my reply on your other (identical) thread. The answer would be to cut back on the CF stuff and add assistance work.
Gonna check out your reply in a min mate, on the phone at the mo so kinda awkward jumping from thread to thread ha I'll be on the comp soon! Greatful for all the advice andreplies though guys, must bbring the issue up with my trainer but pretty sure he will insist i stick with the programme, that's why i was contemplating just doing all pros orssummitssimilar 3x a week in the mornings