CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 01-24-2014, 06:39 PM   #1
Alex Chaney

Profile:
My new strength program

I'm starting a new program hitting one lift per session hard using the 10x3 method (heavy weight, high volume). All sets are with the same weight and when the linear progression stalls, I plan to do weekly cycles. Do you guys think these are some good lifts to make progress on?

Monday:
High Bar Squat - 10x3

Wednesday:
Power Clean and Push Press - 10x3

Friday:
Conventional Deadlift - 10x3
Old 01-25-2014, 01:02 AM   #2
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: My new strength program

No.

Why don't you just follow an existing program?

10x3 of deadlifts sounds like a particularly awful idea. And 10x3 of power cleans aren't any better seeing how CNS fatigue and deteriorating form will halt your progress after, oh, about a week.
Old 01-25-2014, 05:31 AM   #3
Jason Denny

Profile:

Ugh, you would likely do better with 5x5 or similar. That will allow you to go heavier. 3 sets of 10 would only allow you to lift around 70% of your 1RM at the most. Any heavier and you will either fail or form will be crap. Sets of 5 will allow you to bring your weights up to about 80-85%. You will see better results with the heavier weights.
Old 01-25-2014, 05:39 AM   #4
Jeff Enge

Profile:

I think he means 10 sets of 3?

Bad idea either way. You might see progress for a few weeks, but those deadlifts would absolutely crush you at any appreciable weight. And I don't mean that in a good way, that's an I jury waiting to happen on sets 4-10. Not to mention power cleans, and the Olympic lifts in general, respond terribly to linear progression once you get past beginner level.
Old 01-25-2014, 08:02 AM   #5
Alex Chaney

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Enge View Post

Bad idea either way. You might see progress for a few weeks, but those deadlifts would absolutely crush you at any appreciable weight. And I don't mean that in a good way, that's an I jury waiting to happen on sets 4-10. Not to mention power cleans, and the Olympic lifts in general, respond terribly to linear progression once you get past beginner level.
How about 8 sets of 3 for deadlifts and some lower rep scheme for the pcpp? After the lp stops working, Ill start cycling which should prevent stale progress.
Old 01-25-2014, 08:04 AM   #6
Alex Chaney

Profile:

Just for clarity, by 10x3 I mean 10 sets of 3 reps.
Old 01-25-2014, 10:29 AM   #7
Jason Denny

Profile:

Ah, gottcha. If you are doing 3 reps, you will be hovering around the 85% of your 1RM and 3-5 sets will be plenty. I can tell you that 3 heavy deads...3 sets will exhaust you, 5 sets will be a butt kicking. I know it did for me. What is your goal? There are great strength programs that you can use that work, no sense in reinventing the wheel. Wendler's 5/3/1 may be something that you might look into. Starting Strength is also very good. Both have proven track records.
Old 01-25-2014, 11:05 AM   #8
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
No.

Why don't you just follow an existing program?

agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Enge View Post

Bad idea either way. .
also agreed.

look OP, there are alot of great programs out there. pick one. don't make up your own special program. and even if you do, please don't let it be this one. the program you have listed isn't just "not optimal", it is terrible. don't do it.
Old 01-25-2014, 11:23 AM   #9
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Chaney View Post
How about 8 sets of 3 for deadlifts and some lower rep scheme for the pcpp? After the lp stops working, Ill start cycling which should prevent stale progress.
No, 8 sets of 3 on deadlifts aren't really any better than 10 sets of 3.

By "cycling" do you mean jumping from one program or approach to another? Or are you talking about "muscle confusion" or silliness like that to keep from "stale progress"? No, those are not good ideas. Just pick one good program that checks all or most of the boxes you're looking for, and run with it.

If you want to do one main lift per session, 3x per week, and have time and energy to also work on other stuff, look at 5/3/1.
Old 01-25-2014, 02:32 PM   #10
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

Overall I agree with the others.

But there are some who have had success with high volume, heavy weight, low rep workouts. Anthony Ditillo did a tons of heavy volume.

Also Jamie Lewis hits heavy lifts almost daily. Check out his blog, it's too foul to post the address here, so beware.

Steve Justa is another guy who comes to mind as well as Bulgarian Programs and John Broz.

If you are really set on it, I'd build the volume slowly and see what happens.

But, usually this experimentation is appropriate once you've hit some good linear progression and intermediate programs.

Where's your strength at now?
If you're squatting 400 now and have been stuck, then maybe something like this is welcomed. If on the other hand, your working towards 225, there are plenty of established programs that will get you there for certain.