CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2013, 06:53 AM   #11
Cam Peavy
Member Cam Peavy is offline
 
Cam Peavy's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Auburn  AL
Posts: 161
Re: Need help with gaining mass

2-3 metcons a week, depending on the actual workout and time, is going to hinder your strength / size gains while on a mass gaining program such as SS or 5/3/1. You're going to have to decide what you want. The goal of being able to run an hour straight is much different than dead lifting 500 lbs. If you want to get bigger and stronger, you're going to have to cut down on the metcons, stick with a solid strength training program, and eat a ton.

All of the other guys have posted valuable info, and like Jeff said, mass gaining has so much to do with eating and not so much to do with a specific workout, such as 5x5 Shoulder Press.

Pick a program, stick with it, limit metcons, eat a ton.
__________________
M/19/5'9"/182#
475 Deadlift, 415 Back Squat, 330 Front Squat
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 07:00 AM   #12
Jeff Enge
Banned Jeff Enge is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Collinsville  IL
Posts: 5,542
Re: Need help with gaining mass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakan Yilmazkaya View Post
My problem is, i really like how i feel after metcons and i like to continue doing them at least 2 or 3 times a week. I've never felt so energetic in my life before, i used to run for 5 minutes and see the floor and now i can run for an hour without any problem and i don't want to lose it. Andrew suggested many programs, valuable information but i want to know if i can do metcons just after ss or wendler etc. That was what i meant with combining strenght programs and crossfit. I don't know if i sound stupid but i really lack knowledge about what i'm doing and eager to learn, so any opinion would be appreciated.
Again: Eat more.

Read GSLP, or Wendler, or CFFB. Each of these details intelligently programming strength and conditioning for different goals.

Remember, most CrossFit general affiliate programs are written either with an eye toward the average CFer that just wants to get in the gym and work out and have fun (the majority of which probably want to lose some weight, not gain it), or by somebody that has no clue what they are doing writing programming. Of course not all of them fall under those two categories, but most. So if your main goal is to get more mass and strength, can you see where that wouldn't neccessarily be the most compatible?
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 08:15 AM   #13
Mike Doehla
Affiliate Mike Doehla is offline
 
Mike Doehla's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Newburgh  NY
Posts: 744
Re: Need help with gaining mass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakan Yilmazkaya View Post
My problem is, i really like how i feel after metcons and i like to continue doing them at least 2 or 3 times a week. I've never felt so energetic in my life before, i used to run for 5 minutes and see the floor and now i can run for an hour without any problem and i don't want to lose it. Andrew suggested many programs, valuable information but i want to know if i can do metcons just after ss or wendler etc. That was what i meant with combining strenght programs and crossfit. I don't know if i sound stupid but i really lack knowledge about what i'm doing and eager to learn, so any opinion would be appreciated.
Do them how Crossfit Football does them. keep them under 12 minutes. I hate to be that guy but you're asking the wrong questions here. You're asking how to gain mass but aren't even talking about your diet...which is how you will gain mass. If you're lifting heavy and often it's hardly the issue in terms of mass gain. Eat all the time.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 08:50 AM   #14
Andrew N. Casey
Banned Andrew N. Casey is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Abilene  KS
Posts: 2,590
Re: Need help with gaining mass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakan Yilmazkaya View Post
My problem is, i really like how i feel after metcons and i like to continue doing them at least 2 or 3 times a week. I've never felt so energetic in my life before, i used to run for 5 minutes and see the floor and now i can run for an hour without any problem and i don't want to lose it. Andrew suggested many programs, valuable information but i want to know if i can do metcons just after ss or wendler etc. That was what i meant with combining strenght programs and crossfit. I don't know if i sound stupid but i really lack knowledge about what i'm doing and eager to learn, so any opinion would be appreciated.
the problem is that you haven't actually researched and read the programs suggested. as i already stated, each of those programs tells you how to combine the program with conditioning. and when you say "metcon" that can mean alot of different things. if you are talking about workouts that last 30 minutes or more and do countless numbers of repititions, leaving you feeling completely trashed and exhausted, the no, you can't do those several times a week and hope to get stronger and gain mass. you can do short metcons at high intensity several times a week while still gaining mass and gettting strong. again, read the programs. or, just follow CFFB as it is written. or Outlaw. you might also want to check out some of the articles on juggernaut about crossfit. and look at Alex Viadas "run and be strong" articles.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 01:10 PM   #15
Hakan Yilmazkaya
Member Hakan Yilmazkaya is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Istanbul  Kadikoy
Posts: 60
Re: Need help with gaining mass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew N. Casey View Post
the problem is that you haven't actually researched and read the programs suggested. as i already stated, each of those programs tells you how to combine the program with conditioning. and when you say "metcon" that can mean alot of different things. if you are talking about workouts that last 30 minutes or more and do countless numbers of repititions, leaving you feeling completely trashed and exhausted, the no, you can't do those several times a week and hope to get stronger and gain mass. you can do short metcons at high intensity several times a week while still gaining mass and gettting strong. again, read the programs. or, just follow CFFB as it is written. or Outlaw. you might also want to check out some of the articles on juggernaut about crossfit. and look at Alex Viadas "run and be strong" articles.
Thank you again for valuable information. I will definitely check the articles. I checked the programs too but they mostly seperate the metcon and strength days which i don't want to do. I have one more thing to ask to you, after how many minutes you face a catabolic effect of a metcon ? As far as i understand, you think 8-12 minutes of intense workouts will not hinder the progress and doable but i should stay far away from 30 minutes metcons. In our box, i've seen 20 minutes of amrap metcons many times, you think i should do them or just skip and do something else ? I'm not a fan of our wods but trainers love me so much that sometimes i don't find a chance to run away and workout on my own, they just pull me inside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Doehla View Post
Do them how Crossfit Football does them. keep them under 12 minutes. I hate to be that guy but you're asking the wrong questions here. You're asking how to gain mass but aren't even talking about your diet...which is how you will gain mass. If you're lifting heavy and often it's hardly the issue in terms of mass gain. Eat all the time.
Thank you. I'm not talking about my diet because as i told my diet is okay in my first post and i didn't think i need any help with it. To be clear, my goal is to gain lean mass, my maintenance is around 2800 calories and i'm eating around 3000 calories, just slightly above maintenance. I don't follow paleo because i feel so tired without carbs, also it doesn't suit my natural eating habits, there is no way that i can survive without boiled rice. Most of my calories comes from complex carbs and proteins, taking around 200 grams of protein a day from quality sources. I eat good fats also but not as much as i eat cereals or protein. Correct me if i'm wrong with something please.

I know eating right is a must and more important than the workout program itself but can you gain serious muscle mass by just running or playing tennis ? No. That's why i'm searching for a right way to lift heavy. I like how CFFB does combine strength and metcons and i think i'll stick with it. As far as i see, they mostly have 2 compound 3x5 moves for the strength wod and they finish the workout with a short metcon. Crossfit Mayhem's wods which i follow mostly are similar to it but they have just one move as strength wod. Do you think a 5x5 front squat combined with a 10 minutes of intense metcon will make you bigger or it is just useless ? Sorry again if i'm asking ridiculous questions.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 01:18 PM   #16
Jeff Enge
Banned Jeff Enge is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Collinsville  IL
Posts: 5,542
Re: Need help with gaining mass

"Do you think a 5x5 front squat combined with a 10 minutes of intense metcon will make you bigger or it is just useless ?"

"I just want to ask if this kind of a workout can be done with expectations of gaining serious muscle mass;"

Again, asking if one or a couple of workouts will help you gain mass is totally useless - it's the comprehensive program that matters!

Are you gaining mass now? If not, you're not eating enough, no matter what your maintanence calories are estimated at.

Are you getting stronger? If not, you're not lifting enough, or heavy enough.

It really is that simple. If you like it, follow CFFB totally as written for awhile. If you continue to get stronger and like it, keep it up.

FWIW, GSLP actually says that high-intensity conditioning can be done on the same day after lifting sessions.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 01:32 PM   #17
Hakan Yilmazkaya
Member Hakan Yilmazkaya is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Istanbul  Kadikoy
Posts: 60
Re: Need help with gaining mass

Ok, i think i need to shut up. Thank you all guys for making things clear for me, i will go with CFFB for a while and see how it goes, really appreciated.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 01:44 PM   #18
Jeff Enge
Banned Jeff Enge is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Collinsville  IL
Posts: 5,542
Re: Need help with gaining mass

You don't need to shut up - we aren't trying to chase you away, we're trying to lead you to the right questions to ask. You need to know what your goals are, quantify them, and choose programs/eating habits accordingly.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 02:33 PM   #19
Nik Nichols
Member Nik Nichols is offline
 
Nik Nichols's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Quinlan  TX
Posts: 21,383
Re: Need help with gaining mass

Here are some good heavy metcons. Read through this. WFS http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=35062
__________________
49/M/5'7''/175lbs ''Take pain.'' quote: Mr Jenkins
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gaining Mass? Jake Sterny Nutrition 27 10-28-2010 03:44 PM
Gaining Mass with Crossfit. Robin Owens Fitness 15 03-25-2008 09:53 AM
Gaining mass too quickly on SS? Skylar Cook Fitness 12 03-02-2008 12:36 PM
Gaining muscle mass... Jay Edvardz Nutrition 2 12-10-2003 09:38 PM
Gaining muscle mass while doing CF Ari Vuorte Nutrition 7 07-23-2003 09:43 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.