CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 07-07-2013, 04:34 AM   #11
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:
Re: Why absolute strength isn't everything for a crossfit athlete

you don't need this fancy article to know this... just look at the max lifts for many of the top CF competitors. They don't have alot of absolute strength.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:06 AM   #12
Evan Peikon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew N. Casey View Post
you don't need this fancy article to know this... just look at the max lifts for many of the top CF competitors. They don't have alot of absolute strength.
But then read all the blog talking about how absolute strength automatically will mean better performance. You may already know this, but many don't.
That wasn't my only point either, its how to develop the CP battery, and another view of how to become a better competitor
Old 07-07-2013, 07:07 AM   #13
Evan Peikon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Gowder View Post
Here's something really striking:

"This method is often considered a “Heavy Metcon”. (Ie- a technical movement or heavy weight causes a bottleneck, forcing you to rest and recharge your battery before continuing"

I've noticed that the technical movements (esp. oly) are, in fact, a lot more tiring. Why is that? (Is it just recruiting more muscles?)

Also, a lot of people seem to say that ATP-CP is about intensity in the abstract, but it seems like there's a difference between cardio intensity (e.g. HIIT cardio, sprints, etc.) and lifting intensity. I at least am lots and lots better at sprints than I am at doing a bunch of cleans in a row, and I'm no aerobic monster...
And heres another post... it should clarify what i was trying to say in my response to you, but it goes into the nuts and bolts.

Shameless self promotion
Old 07-07-2013, 07:53 AM   #14
Larry Bruce

Profile:

This is a general reponse to both of your posts:

Some people are going to have more oxidative fast twitch muscle, that can have very high force contraction and rate of force development, but sustain longer efforts. This does not mean that they are in the "aerobic zone". The oxidative capacity in the muscle helps clear the lactate. Also there are other systemic aerobic adaptations that help with recovery. This is the type of person most likely to do well in Crossfit competition IMO.

All systems ARE in use at the same time as you said. But HOW they are being used is the question.
Old 07-07-2013, 08:07 AM   #15
Evan Peikon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Bruce View Post
This is a general reponse to both of your posts:

Some people are going to have more oxidative fast twitch muscle, that can have very high force contraction and rate of force development, but sustain longer efforts. This does not mean that they are in the "aerobic zone". The oxidative capacity in the muscle helps clear the lactate. Also there are other systemic aerobic adaptations that help with recovery. This is the type of person most likely to do well in Crossfit competition IMO.

All systems ARE in use at the same time as you said. But HOW they are being used is the question.
Thats exactly my point. If you read the the N=1 article I wrote I talk about how you don't really know how they are being used like you just said. But if you have a coach who knows their stuff the feed back from athlete to coach after training in diff time zones @diff Rx'ed intensities you can start to figure out the athletes engine and what they are most likely using.
Old 07-07-2013, 09:33 AM   #16
Matt Kohn

Profile:

So Evan, you recommend methods 1 and/or method 2 to improve my CP battery? EMOM training as well as short explosive metcons? For the latter, what is the recommended rest? Should it just be as short as possible? How should I train my battery to "recharge" faster?
Old 07-07-2013, 11:12 AM   #17
Evan Peikon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Kohn View Post
So Evan, you recommend methods 1 and/or method 2 to improve my CP battery? EMOM training as well as short explosive metcons? For the latter, what is the recommended rest? Should it just be as short as possible? How should I train my battery to "recharge" faster?
The later is more of an unstructured version where you go by feel. I personally prefer the former as its more quantifiable, and you have a concrete progression from week to week. Then id program the later every so often just to mix it up, and use it as more of a testing like scenario.
In the later the notes id also give the athlete would be to try and game the workout such that they get a work:rest flow going.
So say the workout was
21-15-9
DL (315)
BoxJump
depending on their strength it can looks like 5 DL, rest 20 sec, 5 DL, rest, 20 sec etc. The point is more to have them experiment with their engine there.
Old 07-07-2013, 03:03 PM   #18
Chris Mason

Profile:

Sure, absolute strength is not the only driver of CrossFit performance even by a long shot. With that said, it should be made clear that individually speaking, if absolute strength is increased and strength endurance and endurance remain the same, CrossFit performance will improve (assuming body weight also remains relatively constant). There can be no arguing this physiologic fact.
Old 07-07-2013, 03:22 PM   #19
Jeff Enge

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Mason View Post
Sure, absolute strength is not the only driver of CrossFit performance even by a long shot. With that said, it should be made clear that individually speaking, if absolute strength is increased and strength endurance and endurance remain the same, CrossFit performance will improve (assuming body weight also remains relatively constant). There can be no arguing this physiologic fact.
^^^ That. It only makes sense to start isolating small, specific realms of improvement when gross inefficiencies are all ironed out.

The large, large majority of CrossFitters (myself certainly included) would be better served in a time spent vs. improvement sense working on general weaknesses - strength, general conditioning, skill - than in actively focusing on more specific aspects.