CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 10-20-2012, 02:16 PM   #261
Mauricio Leal

Profile:
Re: What is your #1 strength training question?

What are your thoughts on performing quick (<10 min) sub maximal (up to ~90%) heavy squat singles often (3-5x/week), as described in the recent article (wfs) on Lipson and Bainbridge? Good low time/energy way to improve squat (particularly for a CFer) or not?
Old 10-20-2012, 04:04 PM   #262
Evan Peikon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Mason View Post
It could be, but why do you ask?
I'm already doing a lot of volume, and figured it would save time, also though it might be more effective (but wasn't sure).
Old 10-21-2012, 05:39 PM   #263
Dan Thomas

Profile:

Thanks for doing this, Chris. As if you didn't have enough fans around these parts

My goal for the next 6 months is to get as big and strong as possible, with 2 caveats: I'll have to minimize conditioning loss and fat gain during this time (active military).

For the last 2 months, I've been running a basic linear progression program with back squats, deadlifts, bench press, and standing press (GSLP).

My lifts are going up, and I don't feel close to any plateaus. My back is a little tweaked, though. I'm doing metcons twice a week.

The question is, is it best to continue the LP until I plateau, then switch to something a little more specific? Am I doing the right thing for my goals?

Thanks again for taking all these questions.
Old 10-21-2012, 06:56 PM   #264
Dan Komutanon

Profile:

Hi Chris. My main goal is to gain strength to rx all of the WODs and be able to compete in CrossFit regionals some day. I am currently on my 2nd cycle of Wendler's 5/3/1. I am doing that twice a week and doing my box's WODs 3 times a week. I am wondering if it would be more effective for me to do GSLP, Westside or just stick to what I'm doing until I stall out.

A little bit of info about me:

I am 31 years old. I have a full-time job but I sit most of the time
I am 5'8", 155 lbs. with around 6% body fat.

Max back squat: 275 lbs.
Max shoulder press: 135 lbs.
Max deadlift: 365 lbs.
Max bench: 250 lbs.

Fran: 5:50

Old 10-21-2012, 07:40 PM   #265
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Benson View Post
Right now it's primarily to improve technique, especially in the snatch. I don't want to try and add in heavy oly work on top of doing a Westside template.

I figured every 5-6 weeks I could take one workout session to go heavy on oly, then back to technique work. The idea is that by drilling technique on a regular basis and getting stronger in general will get my oly numbers up.

I would like your opinion on how in incorporate the technique work on a regular basis and what I should be limiting my weights to as to minimize interference with my other work.

Thanks in advance.
Ok, yes, I agree with the thought process since Olympic lifting is not your sole goal.

I would follow a strict Westside template and then use two of the off days to do Olympic skill work. As the skill work is by definition low in intensity it can serve two purposes, the first to build your skill in the movements, and the second as a form of active recovery. If you want to test your O-lifting once every 4-5 weeks just do it in lieu of an ME day.
Old 10-21-2012, 07:42 PM   #266
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauricio Leal View Post
What are your thoughts on performing quick (<10 min) sub maximal (up to ~90%) heavy squat singles often (3-5x/week), as described in the recent article (wfs) on Lipson and Bainbridge? Good low time/energy way to improve squat (particularly for a CFer) or not?

I'm not really a fan in the sense I don't think it is the optimal way to strength train, so why bother? In other words, you can get better results with different methods so I don't really see the point. I'll take a look at that article and let you know if I have any further thoughts.
Old 10-21-2012, 07:57 PM   #267
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauricio Leal View Post
I do have one further thought, if you notice a huge improvement using such a protocol I believe you were not training properly previously. I do know that frequent training can improve form, and that is likely a significant component of the progress noted in the article. With that said, you can work technique without squatting daily.

Finally, I think such a program is likely limited in the duration of its effectiveness and if practiced over time as in years you are likely shortening your heavy lifting lifespan.
Old 10-21-2012, 07:59 PM   #268
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan Peikon View Post
I'm already doing a lot of volume, and figured it would save time, also though it might be more effective (but wasn't sure).
Remind me of what you are doing? You are doing a Westside template plus what?

Keep in mind that accessory work in Westside is not really high volume. I don't see how all compounds would shorten it (i.e. it is already fairly short)?
Old 10-21-2012, 08:35 PM   #269
Zowie Hanssen

Profile:

Hey Chris, My questions is about gaining mass. I've been doing a 5x5 program for the last 10weeks and have been seeing gains in strength and haven't plateaued yet. My cadence for reps is 3e/3c.
What are your thoughts on myofibrillar vs sarcoplasmic hypertrophy in relationship to my program? Does size come with sarcoplasmic hypertrophy and does my program encourage this? I feel like I'm not getting bigger but getting stronger..not sure I totally understand how these two types of hypertrophy relate to each other..

Thanx for ur time...

Zowie..
Old 10-21-2012, 09:38 PM   #270
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Thomas View Post
Thanks for doing this, Chris. As if you didn't have enough fans around these parts

My goal for the next 6 months is to get as big and strong as possible, with 2 caveats: I'll have to minimize conditioning loss and fat gain during this time (active military).

For the last 2 months, I've been running a basic linear progression program with back squats, deadlifts, bench press, and standing press (GSLP).

My lifts are going up, and I don't feel close to any plateaus. My back is a little tweaked, though. I'm doing metcons twice a week.

The question is, is it best to continue the LP until I plateau, then switch to something a little more specific? Am I doing the right thing for my goals?

Thanks again for taking all these questions.
Well, that is a tough one. I truly believe a Westside protocol is best, but if you are making good progress then it may be hard to get you to switch . So, switch when you are ready.

Beyond that, the 2 WODs per week should be done on off days from the strength training and I think 2 WODs are perfect for your goal on not detraining your conditioning.

I am not sure what you are doing for diet, but if your goal is to gain some lean mass then you will have to increase caloric intake. I suggest you do so in a measured fashion by gauging your body fat and slowing increased cals (300 per day increments) such that you are gaining weight without adding excess body fat.