CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 09-22-2012, 10:23 PM   #211
Chris Mason

Profile:
Re: What is your #1 strength training question?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Norris View Post
Hey Chris can you give me a list of all of the abdominal exercises Westside uses?

I did side bends 2 days ago and man am I sore like really sore despite doing leg raises and straight leg situps on a regular basis. I think my obliques are underdeveloped. Plus my abs are not as strong as they should be.
Man, there are too many. There are simply endless variations. A few of the favorites are a form of standing crunch using a cable pulldown apparatus and placing a foam roller under your lower back while lying on a bench and doing crunches that way.
Old 09-22-2012, 10:27 PM   #212
Caine Peters

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Mason View Post
You can train with soreness, especially soreness incurred from a prolonged layoff. Certainly wait the normal time between sessions. In addition, some big rep very light resistance can help to alleviate the soreness.

Soreness is not a requisite for adaptation or growth, and once you are training regularly it should be reduced greatly.
i always thought that being sore and when your fresh to the scene was the best time to maximize on working out! must of been some bro science happening there lol,

i cannot thank you enough for all your advice chris, now i can go put all of it into practice!!!
Old 09-22-2012, 11:36 PM   #213
Ben Norris

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Mason View Post
Man, there are too many. There are simply endless variations. A few of the favorites are a form of standing crunch using a cable pulldown apparatus and placing a foam roller under your lower back while lying on a bench and doing crunches that way.
Cheers Chris. I have all the books and I see they do alot of the standing abs put setting that up at the gym I am training at for the time being is pretty hard.

I will try to find a way to the the standing abs though.

Out of interest what are your favourite ones? I like the straight leg raises from Westside and think that is helping my ab strength a fair bit.
Old 09-23-2012, 12:10 AM   #214
Donald Lee

Profile:

Quote:
Hey Chris can you give me a list of all of the abdominal exercises Westside uses?

I did side bends 2 days ago and man am I sore like really sore despite doing leg raises and straight leg situps on a regular basis. I think my obliques are underdeveloped. Plus my abs are not as strong as they should be.
Like Chris said, soreness probably doesn't indicate what you think it means.

You get sore when you do new exercises.
Old 09-23-2012, 05:19 AM   #215
Evan Peikon

Profile:

Ive heard louie say that when programming sled dragging as a daily GPP/ warmup method there is a prescription regarding volume/ weight that your supposed to follow throughout the week. He mentions it in the book of methods to but never really specifies more than that.
That being said you you happen to know what it is, or is just dragging for a given distance with a given weight by feel good enough.
Currently i do 180-300m with 115-250lb for a warmup, but am looking to start incorporating more since i don't really metcon much at the moment.
Old 09-23-2012, 07:52 AM   #216
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caine Peters View Post
i always thought that being sore and when your fresh to the scene was the best time to maximize on working out! must of been some bro science happening there lol,

i cannot thank you enough for all your advice chris, now i can go put all of it into practice!!!
Well, sort of. You are confusing facts. Yes, newbies tend to get quite sore, and yes, the gains you make initially when training properly are very rapid and significant. With that said, it isn't the soreness that is driving the results, it is the fact your body is being stressed in a new and very potent way and it is adapting to it from essentially ground zero.
Old 09-23-2012, 07:53 AM   #217
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Cheers Chris. I have all the books and I see they do alot of the standing abs put setting that up at the gym I am training at for the time being is pretty hard.

I will try to find a way to the the standing abs though.

Out of interest what are your favourite ones? I like the straight leg raises from Westside and think that is helping my ab strength a fair bit.
The ones I mentioned are my favorites . FYI, you can do standing abs using a jump stretch band suspended from overhead. You don't need a pulley system.
Old 09-23-2012, 07:58 AM   #218
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan Peikon View Post
Ive heard louie say that when programming sled dragging as a daily GPP/ warmup method there is a prescription regarding volume/ weight that your supposed to follow throughout the week. He mentions it in the book of methods to but never really specifies more than that.
That being said you you happen to know what it is, or is just dragging for a given distance with a given weight by feel good enough.
Currently i do 180-300m with 115-250lb for a warmup, but am looking to start incorporating more since i don't really metcon much at the moment.
When Louie has the guys doing it at Westside multiples times per week he typically does it in a light, medium, and heavy style. So, first session would be light for a greater distance, 2nd medium for a shorter distance and maybe 4-5 "sets" and the 3rd heavy for typically 3 "sets" and pulling in the 30-40 yard range.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:51 AM   #219
Shane Sweatt

Profile:

Chris has a lot of good info on ab training this isn't a standing movement but i love to do decline 4x8 max weight barbell with chain decline sit-ups. Start with bar in decline bench position and when at top bar will be over head arms locked at all times very hard
Old 10-09-2012, 02:09 AM   #220
Caine Peters

Profile:

Hey chris ive jumped onto the westside bandwagon! and rocking the skinny bastard template with some modifications been researching for weeks and people have been great help, with their guidance i hope to get tthis program right

ME UPPER
Upper-Bench 3-5max
Incline DB-3x15rep
ez bar Curl/Shrug superset
Rear delt 12.5x12/Row 80x10 superset
Dips weighted
Chins weighted

Lower DE -Hill Sprints Hour before
Box jump 8x3
Box squat 10x3
Deads 10x1 100
Split squat 3x10 front leg elevated
Romainian deadz-GHR
Abs

Re upper
3xmax bench
Chin ups/rear delt flyes 4x12
4x12 db press/bodyweight dips
3x shrugs 10/db curls
abs

Me Lower
Squat max 3-5
Deadlift 3x12
Reverse lunge 3x 6-12
Romainian deads or pullthroughs 3x8-12
Abz/calf raise good morns

trying to gain some decent strength/size(hyportophy) i know people dont like that word but thats what i want with minimal fat gain

seeing as your a westside man could this work? if you dont like critique posts i totally understand

thanks