CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 02-20-2012, 08:08 AM   #1
Adam Will

Profile:
Again Faster squat stand/other ideas

I am in the process of outfitting my garage gym and need a squat stand. I don't really want a power rack or cage due to space. Has anyone bought/used the AF pop and lock squat stand? I really want the Rogue S-1, but the AF stand is much cheaper. Is it sturdy? Would you recommend it? I need it for all types of lifts. Bench, presses, all forms of squats, etc. Any other ideas for a decent and cheaper (less than $300) squat stand? I'm all ears.
Old 02-20-2012, 08:36 AM   #2
Martin Huynh

Profile:
Re: Again Faster squat stand/other ideas

I looked at AF and the Rogue S4. I liked the S4 a lot but couldn't justify paying close to $500 (with shipping) for squat stands. I settled on the Valor BD-9 from Overstock for under $200 shipped. It's pretty solid and stable especially if you put weights on the plate storage. I rather have the S4 but the Valor will do for now.
Old 02-20-2012, 09:34 AM   #3
Joey Shishineh

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Will View Post
I am in the process of outfitting my garage gym and need a squat stand. I don't really want a power rack or cage due to space. Has anyone bought/used the AF pop and lock squat stand? I really want the Rogue S-1, but the AF stand is much cheaper. Is it sturdy? Would you recommend it? I need it for all types of lifts. Bench, presses, all forms of squats, etc. Any other ideas for a decent and cheaper (less than $300) squat stand? I'm all ears.
I have the AF pop and lock squat stand and it is very sturdy (easy to assemble and move around). I definitely recommend that stand with a stud pull-up bar instead of going for a squat/pull-up combo because it is much cheaper...
Old 02-20-2012, 11:14 AM   #4
Adam Will

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Huynh View Post
I looked at AF and the Rogue S4. I liked the S4 a lot but couldn't justify paying close to $500 (with shipping) for squat stands. I settled on the Valor BD-9 from Overstock for under $200 shipped. It's pretty solid and stable especially if you put weights on the plate storage. I rather have the S4 but the Valor will do for now.
I don't feel very comfortable with the "independent" leg design of the S4. I really want a Rogue S-1/Again Faster pop and lock type stand. Has anyone used both of these? Can you compare? I also have been looking at the York stand. Unless anyone has any other options. Needs- a small footprint, very sturdy, economical squat stand. I'm also going to go with a stud pullup bar.
Old 02-20-2012, 12:03 PM   #5
Adam Will

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Shishineh View Post
I have the AF pop and lock squat stand and it is very sturdy (easy to assemble and move around). I definitely recommend that stand with a stud pull-up bar instead of going for a squat/pull-up combo because it is much cheaper...
How does the stand feel with around 300 lbs or more? Is it still sturdy or would I need to put sand bags on the feet to keep it solid?
Old 02-20-2012, 09:19 PM   #6
Jay Rhodes

Profile:

Haven't lifted on the AF rack, but I know Jon and I know they would not build a rack that wasn't solid and top quality for what you're paying.

I'm sure it will do the trick.
Old 02-21-2012, 05:13 AM   #7
Joey Shishineh

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Will View Post
How does the stand feel with around 300 lbs or more? Is it still sturdy or would I need to put sand bags on the feet to keep it solid?
haha, I wouldn't know...The most I've squatted on there is ~250, my 1RM isn't even 300. Although, I did lower the rack down for a deadlift progression at 365 and it felt solid (that was below the lowest notch setting @ the support joint, so not the best measure). The rack has long/thick legs with a strong cross-bar with properly angled support bars. I think it will be fine as long as you are not throwing 300 at it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	squatpoplock.jpg
Views:	1662
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	9025  
Old 02-21-2012, 11:05 AM   #8
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:

You get what you pay for. The cheaper stands are bolted together and have thinner metal. They work too.

I use these squat stands, which are welded and use a thicker guage of metal than some of the cheaper squat stands:
http://www.bwproducts.com/fitness/eq...racks/r04.html
link is work/family safe
I've seen this style in use with 700 lb. squats. Note that the braces in the back are at an angle, which makes the stands more solid from side-to-side than bolted braces that are simply parallel to the legs like the AF squat stands. This style also breaks down quickly into something that will fit in the trunk of a small, small car. I've used mine for over 10 years, still very happy with them.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:49 AM   #9
Chris Hunke

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincoln Brigham View Post
You get what you pay for. The cheaper stands are bolted together and have thinner metal. They work too.

I use these squat stands, which are welded and use a thicker guage of metal than some of the cheaper squat stands:
http://www.bwproducts.com/fitness/eq...racks/r04.html
link is work/family safe
I've seen this style in use with 700 lb. squats. Note that the braces in the back are at an angle, which makes the stands more solid from side-to-side than bolted braces that are simply parallel to the legs like the AF squat stands. This style also breaks down quickly into something that will fit in the trunk of a small, small car. I've used mine for over 10 years, still very happy with them.
WOW! Adjustable height and width is a nice feature. How much does it weigh?
Old 02-21-2012, 12:24 PM   #10
William Henniger

Profile:

Lincoln

I like the BW stands and especially like the fact that they are Made in the US.

The only thing that I would say is that welding is not necessarily stronger than bolting. It is common to think that using a weld is stronger than using bolts on joints but that is not the case with our stands.

1) We use 5/8" Bolts and 3/8" plates, that trumps the weld.

2) Where the weld would be stronger is if you are using 1/4" bolts and 14 Gauge steel, then things take a turn.

3) We have tested the holes on the S-1 tube for 10 tons when they began to have issue.

4) Our J-cups are tested to 5 Tons

5) We use 11 Gauge tubing on the S Series

The only reason you couldn't squat out of an S-1 is if you got to the point that you need a monolift

Bill