CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 06-27-2006, 02:23 PM   #1
Frank Batt

Profile:
Hi all. I've been on the Zone and doing Crossfit for approx. three months and everything is going great. I will be doing a very strenuous (for me) all day hike (22 miles) at altitude (8,000 to 14,500 ft) next month. I am 53 yrs and doing about 14-15 blocks a day on the zone. I have recently read on a medical site dealing with altitude sickness that one should use a "high carb diet" (more than 70% of calories) while at altitude. Do you agree/disagree with this? Should I change my diet in the days leading up to this event? If so, how many days prior to, and what changes? I've been reading the posts here for a couple months now and the information you folks provide has been invaluable. Thx for taking the time to do it.
Old 06-27-2006, 03:26 PM   #2
Erica Bergstrom

Profile:
I'd reccomend checking out climbing specific resources for this info. I've done some research into it myself, and I've generally found the reccomendations to be for higher carbohydrate fuels. You're eating for performance, not for life long health, when pushing it up high.

Mark Twight's site www.gymjones.com has some nutrition info relevant to climbers in the 'knowledge' section, be sure to check that out.

Have fun next month!
Old 06-27-2006, 04:09 PM   #3
Ryan Kirk

Profile:
I live in Denver and follow the Zone. The only time I go off the Zone is for endurance events (4 hours plus of mountain biking)- but not by much. Usually I will just add carbs to my regular block intake. I use Larabars and oranges to acomplish this. The most important thing you can do at altitude is to make sure you are getting plenty of H2O.
Old 06-27-2006, 06:23 PM   #4
Darrell E. White

Profile:
Frank:

I'm a mountain guy and don't truly feel alive unless I'm in the mountains. Odd, that, since I live in Ohio:lol:. But I love to read about the mountains and mountaineering, and I've gone to a couple of conferences on medical issues at altitude. Short, intense activities like the one you propose probably only require adding carb blocks to your regular Zone diet as Ryan suggests. You will burn many more calories just living at altitude so don't substitute, add. Interestingly, longer mountain adventures, especially at extreme atltitude are often fed mainly be carbs and fat. Classic alpine diets are high in hard cheeses and good chocolate!

One suggestion, though, that really helps is to take Ginko Biloba 60-90mg twice a day starting 5 days before you get to altitude to avoid the headache and other CNS symptoms associated with altitude.

Good luck and have a ball!
Old 06-27-2006, 07:31 PM   #5
Greg Varga

Profile:
Frank: I live in Summit County, CO and have been CF'ing for 3 months at ~9000 feet. I also try to trail jog a 14'er once a week during the Summer. (Every Winter day is for snowboarding. Is it December yet?) My normal food plan is to eat something with a face and something fresh and green three times a day.

Local doctors and ski patrollers all recommend the following to ease acclimation:

1. Increase your H2O intake the week before and the entire time you are at altitude. Drink A LOT of water to replace your fluids. Also watch the hooch as you'll not only get drunk faster (cheap date!), but it will obviously dehydrate you.

2. Eat high-carb meals the day before altitude, the day you get there, and the next day. Before and during your mountaineering, eat whatever your stomach is used to with your normal regimen.

3. If you develop an acute headache with nausea, rapid pulse, dizziness, or insomnia; get to a lower altitude immediately. See AMS:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Altitude_sickness

I've used this advice for all of my visitors with good success. Except for one who needed O2 and a quick trip to Denver...

Darrell: I'm originally from Akron and have lived in the Rockies for five years and around the Sierras before that. The high country rules. You should move. Now. :-)

(Message edited by gav on June 27, 2006)
Old 06-28-2006, 07:51 PM   #6
Darrell E. White

Profile:
Greg:

Reeeeealy bummer of a subject right now. We just listed our family home in Park City. It's the right thing for us to do at the moment, and getting another mountain home is enormous incentive for me going forward, but it's still a bummer. But in my mind I'm actually already your next door neighbor:happy: