CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 03-10-2006, 07:13 PM   #41
Robert Wolf

Profile:
I'm done on this topic. When I start making "absurd statements" no need to further embarass myself.
Old 03-10-2006, 08:05 PM   #42
Steve Liberati

Profile:
Robert,
We can probably go back and forth all day long on this topic and get nowhere. We each have our own strongly held opinion on this topic, which is very unlikely to change. That's okay. Thats what makes for a good discussion. If we can assist someone else with making a well-informed decision then I'd say its a job well done.

Old 03-11-2006, 05:19 PM   #43
Jamila Bey

Profile:
Good stuff all around...

Here's my diet and skin story.

I had exzema so severe that the skin under my neck would turn tar black and flake and bleed in patches. I itched and hurt and there was nothing doctors could do for me. Creams made the skin softer, but I still cracked and itched. Oatmeal baths felt good while I was in the tub, but I'd get out of the water and the towel would feel like Brillo pad on my skin. I was 8-10 years old.

I read a book by Dick Gregory, stopped all red meat and my skin was baby soft and perfect within 3 weeks. Doctors couldn't explain it. I haven't questioned it since. I haven't eaten red meat in nearly 20 years due to the experience.

I am but one person with one totally weird experience, but I'm the biggest advocate for changing the diet to see what happens.
Old 09-06-2007, 06:46 PM   #44
Samuel Fold

Profile:
Re: Acne

For some people, diet can be a trigger of acne breakouts. But it is by no means the cause.

What it comes down to is this. Acne is caused by bacteria. In fact the very name acne comes from the name of the bacteria "P Acnes".

If you can kill the bacteria you can stop spots/acne. One way is antibiotics. I used to suffer from acne myself, not too severe and on my face. I used bacteria and boom no spots.

Also you can use "Benzoyl Peroxide", this is available in creams and gels and basically seeps into the skin where it produces oxygen which kills the anaerobic bacteria. This also has proven very effective at giving me clear skin.

Before trying either Antibiotics or Benzoyl Peroxide I tried diets. At went for weeks at a time logging everything I ate. I tried going dairy free, I tried going wheat free, I tried going dairy and wheat free. I tried going vegetarian, I tried paleo, I tried basically every combination of diets possible. I ate so healthily it was insane. And guess what? I still got spots.

Anyone saying its "only diet" has been reading too many websites that are trying to sell diet books and promise a cure-all for all sorts of problems.

The thing is, every person is different in how diet will affect their skin. But every spot is caused by bacteria, kill the bacteria, stop the spots...
Old 09-06-2007, 09:42 PM   #45
Kevin King

Profile:

The ultimate issue at hand here is that our original poster came looking for advice -- and brother, you've got it!

You have a naturopathic physician (read his site on exactly what that is) an advertising guy, someone else who I can't tell what he does and now an allopathic (MD) physician (me) giving you advice. Hehe. Gotta love this community, eh?

Regardless, I highly recommend you make a decision on what sort of approach you want to take. A few things to consider:

1. Naturopathic physicians and other practicioners of "non-traditional/alternative" medicine (whatever that means) all have different approaches. Other types of non-traditional providers include accupuncturists, homeopaths, chiropractors, etc. There is reasonable Western medical research to support some approaches in some conditions. Some folks swear by this, others take a slightly more skeptical view. I am an allopathic physician (and MD who trained at a traditional US medical school) so I am somewhat biased toward the "better living through chemistry" model but incorporate good diet, excercise and a somewhat minimalist approach to my practice. I don't like to give folks medications, etc... that they don't need. But don't hesitate to do so if required. I am not very familiar with naturopathic medicine nor the literature that supports it. I am PRETTY sure that they cannot bill most insurance companies and their techniques aren't widely accepted in "traditional" medical scientific journals. So, consumer beware.

2. Allopathic physicians have an all too often tendancy to reach for the best pill. This is driven, in my opinion, by the mass of our population that are looking for a quick fix. I'm a bit of a fatty. I need to lose weight. I have digestive issues (IBS for those that care) that I KNOW are related to diet, exercise and the fact that I am a bit overweight. All my "health" problems can be fixed by regular exercise and a good diet. The American diet is horrible. Many, many allopathic physicians just ignore this, primarily because our patients don't want to hear it. I'm an emergency medicine guy. Let me tell you that it is not at all uncommon for me to interview a guy who has had open heart surgery for coronary disease and STILL SMOKES two packs a day. Howabout our diabetic epidemic in this country where folks are literally eating themselves to death. Allopathic medicine throws medications at them, but if they'd lose a hundred pounds by following a simple, but strangely elusive plan of less input (better diet) and more output (more exercise) their health problems would literally disappear. Really. I've taken care of folks who were diabetics, dumped 120 pounds and aren't diabetics any longer.

3. I have a VERY dim view on practicioners who proscribe/prescribe complex herbal remedies for potentially serious conditions. I am take a stern approach to those who prescribe COSTLY treatment regimens that are likely useless. This applies to both traditional and non-traditional providers. Buyer beware.

I recommend going with something that you are comfortable with. Try the nutritional approach -- it certainly won't hurt and will likely have several side benefits. At the same time, Accutane is a VERY affective drug that has some significant side effects - if you need it. Other medicaitons that can be affective include retin-A, the antibiotics (those really helped me) and some other topicals. The manufacturer of Accutane has all but restricted the prescribing authority in the US to certified physicians who have completed special training on the indications (reasons to use), contraindications (reasons not to use) side effects, their management and alternatives. Seek ye such a physician. Find someone you are comfortable with that will spend the time explaining your options and answer your questions. Please realize this may take more than one visit. Do some research.

I've read a bit more from Dr. G and really like his philosophy he espouses in this thread on a mixture of naturopathic and allopathic medicine. I bet we both wish that our respective colleagues would take a more holistic approach.

-- Kevin
Old 09-07-2007, 11:48 AM   #46
Franklin Shogie

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Shafley View Post
Ross, Back when I actually trained at real gyms, instead of in my basement, I was exposed to a few scientific, smart, hardcore anabolics users. They maintained that the acne caused by anabolic steroid use was caused by the increased estrogen via aromatization of the injectible testosterones they used. They experimented on themselves, and they claimed that when they used an anti-aromatase, like Arimidex (anastrazole), they experienced a much smaller amount of acne than when they didn't.
The question that arises is - do changing hormone levels induce an increase in the potential for acne?

Anecdotal evidence- male/female steroid users with increased acne, teenagers going through puberty with sky rocketing hormone levels, women as they go through their menstrual cycle having facial outbreaks.

Next question - Can diet affect hormone levels?
Old 09-07-2007, 12:33 PM   #47
Tom Fetter

Profile:

As a teen, I had horrific cystic acne. Believe me, I tried the gamut of what was then available ( 25 - 30years ago). Diet, various dermatological applications, antibiotics, the works.

All that worked for me was Accutane, then a very new drug. I needed to go on it twice, as the acne recurred a couple of years after my first cycle of it.

It may be that for some, acne is diet related. Diet made no difference to me, then or now. Sleep deprivation still triggers some acne - but the zits are simply nothing like the deep cystic ones of my teens. Apples and oranges.

If your acne is severe, I'd cut to the chase and go on Accutane. Certainly that's what I'll recommend to my kids, if they develop such. With no hesitation whatsoever. If it's not disfiguring, then by all means take whatever other routes you'd prefer.

t.
Old 02-27-2008, 06:05 PM   #48
Evan Torrens

Profile:

stop washing your face and stop worrying about it...I found the more I washed my face the more I broke out, I havent washed my face in years and im acne free....I just let the water hit it in the shower but I put no soap on it...also look at your self in a more positive way....invision a clear face,,,be positive..you'll be alright man.