CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 01-19-2006, 09:12 AM   #1
Kenneth Urakawa

Profile:
Just wanted to toss this out-

My wife is pregnant, and having a few complications (nothing too major). Anyway, she is seeing a couple of the top docs in Phoenix, and yesterday one of them gave her an OTC supplement for moms-to-be.

Can't remember the name off the top of my head (made by Enfamil--I can look at the box later if anyone wants) but basically, it's 200 mg of DHA. Apparently it's been out there for a little while, but he has only just started to recommend it to his patients because they are starting to get research results out.

He said that children whose mother's were taking the DHA during pregnancy were scoring 5-10 points higher on tests of IQ and learning than siblings.

I haven't looked at any research yet, but has anyone else seen this?
Old 01-19-2006, 09:34 AM   #2
Garrett Smith

Profile:
Ken,
There is research that shows that the more EPA/DHA that a woman takes during pregnancy and breastfeeding, not only is the child smarter, they sleep sounder through the night. Note that last part carefully :-).

My friend had his wife on a lot of fish oil and other people who had children were frankly jealous, as their daughter slept soundly through the night pretty much ever since she was born.

FWIW, I know I value my sleep and my child's brain. If I take fish oil and mothers/grandmothers everywhere had a history of making their kids take cod liver oil, I personally don't need to wait for researchers to pull their head out of the ground to say "Hey, babies might need this." I say, "Genius, that's why they're called *essential* fatty acids!" They've been putting it in dog food for long enough, it's about time our babies started getting it too...

Dr. G
Old 01-19-2006, 10:15 AM   #3
William Hunter

Profile:
Agreed. It's essential supplemetation for pregnancy.

signed,

unbiased father of three brilliant children :-)
Old 01-19-2006, 07:46 PM   #4
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Many women end up n-3 deficient by the end of pregnancy due to the seiving effect of the placenta...n-3's are preferentially shuttled to the fetus to support neurological development. I would say supplementation is absolutely vital and most peopel are woefully lacking.
Old 01-19-2006, 08:29 PM   #5
Ted Williams

Profile:
Maybe this should be another thread...The wife and I are thinking towards the future, and have started planning for kids in the next couple of years.

That said, I told her about this thread and she indicated that she'd love my help in figuring out what suppliments would be best for her.

She's already consulted her Dr., but is looking for specific brand advice. Right now she has a pre-natal vitamin from Whole Wallet, and has been taking Carlson liquid fish oil (yes, I won that fight! :lol: )

Thanks!
Old 01-19-2006, 08:47 PM   #6
Joseph Hart

Profile:
Related to pregnancy...Make or find a belly lotion. There are recipes floating around out there for it. I would rub it on my wife's belly and low and behold no stretch marks. After awhile I could feel the kiddo thumping around in there. It was pretty cool. On the DHA deal...I think both my boys had it in their formula when they weren't getting it from Mom. Slept like rocks. I sat bolt upright in bed the first night they did not wake to eat. Both boys seem a lot smarter than they should be for thier age. Good lookin too. Then again I am biased.
Old 01-19-2006, 10:49 PM   #7
Rob McBee

Profile:
Hey Ken,

Firstly, Congrats to you and your wife on the baby!

We had a boy 4 months ago and my wife's doctor gave her the same supplement/advice. I just kept chasing my wife around with tablespoons full of Carlson's fish oil. Its supposed to really be beneficial for developing the fetuses' brain, nerves, and eyes.

I'm biased of course but I swear the kid is really alert and curious for that age. The 'genius' could be from the fish oil but I like to think its mostly due to my genetic contribution.

Anyway, take care of mommy and best of luck to your family.
Old 01-19-2006, 11:30 PM   #8
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
I have 4 and so far they're all honor roll students. I didn't knowing take any DHA or fish oils, so there goes the DHA theory - it's all in the genes! :biggrin:

Also, sorry to say that it's also genetics that determine if a woman will have stretch marks or not. So look at mommy-to-be's mom, if she has them most likely new mommy will too.
Old 01-20-2006, 06:06 AM   #9
William Hunter

Profile:
Veronica,

My wife would disagree with you on the stretch marks. She's convinced that the Shea Butter (sp?) she used helped her avoid stretch marks through 3 pregnancies. She was religious about it. Besides, why NOT put it on, just in case? You'd hate to find out after the fact that there was something easy you could have done to prevent the marks.
Old 01-20-2006, 09:26 PM   #10
Joe Miller

Profile:
Too bad my pregnant vegetarian wife won't take fish oil. Maybe I can make her drink some flaxseed oil?

Of course she'd probably just throw it up, like she does everything else she's eaten for weeks now. :sad: