CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 09-22-2013, 03:54 PM   #1
Kyle Champ

Profile:
Deadlift Form

I just starting doing Oly weight lifting and want to get my Deadlift and Squat in good form before I move to anything else. Below is my Deadlift and I was hoping to get some feedback. Thanks in advance everyone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOjY...ature=youtu.be (WFS)
Old 09-22-2013, 04:55 PM   #2
Jeff Enge

Profile:
Re: Deadlift Form

Need to get back further on your heels.

Also, you should try to setup with your shins pretty much perpendicular to the ground. That will load your hamstrings better and also get your knees out of the way of the bar on the lift.

Set your back tighter too.

Also, just in case there was any confusion, deadlift and squat are "powerlifts." They can be used as assistance for weightlifting programs, but the lifts used in the sport of weightlifting are simply the snatch and the clean & jerk.
Old 09-22-2013, 05:44 PM   #3
Kyle Champ

Profile:

Thanks. Yeah, I kind of worded that wrong. I wanted to get strong with the Deadlift and Squat before I move onto any Clean, Jerking, Snatching.

So far I got.
  1. Sit back a bit more to get more weight on my heels. I'm sure this will also help with getting my shins more vertical like you said.
  2. Keep my back tighter

I feel like I'm keeping my lower back tight when I'm doing it but I will try some more.

Thanks
Old 09-22-2013, 07:09 PM   #4
Michael A. Jones

Profile:

I agree with Jeff regarding your heel. Aside from that, your form looked pretty solid.

Michael
Old 09-22-2013, 07:57 PM   #5
Joseph Alberga

Profile:

I concur with more weight back on the heals, but there's quite a bit more that you're missing. You're "squatting" the weight up. Your knees are flopped over the bar, tuckng the bar underneath them, with your shoulders nearly behind. It's a common beginner mistake, and is easy to fix. Beginners want to be so sure to "lift with your legs" that you just become quad dominant and get in a position that doesn't utilize your glutes and hams. Adjusting to make your shins perpendicular (or close to) the ground will address this. Think "weight back, butt up" and feel the cocked tension in your hams and glutes ready to fire.

For a straight dead lift, your shoulder BLADES should be over the bar, thus putting your delts a little in front. From a side view, your arms should appear to be reaching back toward your shins for the bar, not straight down.

If you study your bar path closely, you see it first move forward and away from you to get around your knees, then hover off your body, until you get back to the top. That bar should drag against you the entire lift, literally, and move in a straight line. You can see the problem more closely in the descent.

Hope these cues help, there are several videos out there better at instructing than me.

Joe
Old 09-22-2013, 09:24 PM   #6
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

This coincides with getting your shins more perpendicular, but on the way down you want the bar to be able to go straight down and it looks like the bar has to roll around your knee just a day. So when you start the descent butt back/sit back to get the knees back and more perp to the ground.

Good work.
Old 09-24-2013, 08:02 PM   #7
Kyle Champ

Profile:

Thanks again guys. Here is another session on my form. These are the things I tried to keep in mind when I was doing it again.

(1) Getting my core tight and back straight then bending over first, then putting my butt down to keep it straight. Something I read and learned by reading and watching some Deadlift stuff by Kelly Starrett.

(2) Making sure my shoulders are a bit past the bar

(3) Trying to keep my shins more straight.

(4) Trying to put more weight on the back of my feet (heels)

(5) When coming down, pushing my butt back so the bar coming down closer to my body.

Here is the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nt6KLHK9Q2s (WFS)

P.S - When doing these, I seem to feel it more in the muscles in the lower back when I'm done than anywhere else. Not like its hurting or anything, but like it really got a workout. I'm not sure if this is because I'm lifting it wrong or because my lower back is not used to that kind of exercise. I thought you where supposed to be able to feel it in your gluts / hams / quads?

Thank again for all the help. I really enjoy getting into this type of weightlifting. Its the first thing I want to do as soon as I get home.

Last edited by Kyle Champ : 09-24-2013 at 08:11 PM.
Old 09-24-2013, 08:21 PM   #8
Jeff Enge

Profile:

Better, but you could still get more vertical shins. The bar should be almost literally touching your shins before you go town to grab it.

On the way down, keep the bar against your thighs and don't reach it out from your body.

Something that might help you keep everything together is getting your head and neck in line with your torso instead of looking up.
Old 09-26-2013, 08:51 PM   #9
Ari Sherwood

Profile:

Good progress. I'd also focus on pinching your shoulder blades back and together at the beginning of the pull. Your upper back is a bit too rounded throughout the lift.
Old 09-29-2013, 04:22 PM   #10
Andy Lai

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari Sherwood View Post
Good progress. I'd also focus on pinching your shoulder blades back and together at the beginning of the pull. Your upper back is a bit too rounded throughout the lift.
This is what I was going to say too. Pull your shoulder blades back and keep the shoulders engaged.