CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 08-22-2013, 07:33 PM   #11
Paul Victor French

Profile:
Re: Critique my back squat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Bell View Post
If flexability is an issue then i agree wholeheartedly.

Lack of a full range of motion (imho).

Not everyone is an advocate of atg which I fully understand. I am of the mindset that you should go to full depth for every rep.
To each there own. I guess when there is a sport that has squats make up 33% of it, squats where the athletes pretty much only need to just break parallel....I'm in the mindset that not every rep needs to be atg.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:04 PM   #12
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Wait a second.
Looks like OP has a high bar position - not a low bar position. It is Much easier to go deep like that. For most people - especially powerlifters - it is difficult to go much deeper than just below parallel in the typical low bar powerlifting position.
From what I see, I agree that he's not staying tight. Of course, that could be due to the fact that the weight is so light, so he "knows" it isn't an issue to get the weight down and up - so his form is sloppy. But that is bad. Actually i hate seeing that. I've been cuing my members with, "every rep is a PR" lately because I have seen some form like that.
If you "warm up" with sloppy form, you are TRAINING sloppy form. Treat every rep like it matters.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:37 AM   #13
Eric Lamontagne

Profile:

Thanks for all of the feedback guys. I wanted to post a new video after working some technique and integrating what comments you all had. Below is a clip of me doing 225lbs x 1. Would've done more reps but was running low on iPad battery and didn't want it to die on me.

I noticed I stayed on my heels better through this video. I read on another post that some lifters prefer to use a weight belt to feel the external pressure coming from the core, so I have been using it to train myself to have a tighter core. Maybe one of you could comment as to whether it is "good" or how to improve it if not.

http://youtu.be/3Q2pKfA-VnU (wfs)
Old 09-24-2013, 07:45 AM   #14
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

You don't seem rooted to the ground. At the bottom your start to tip forward again. I wonder if your shoes are too squishy and need something with less cushioning/more stability.

Also, I still think you need a little more butt back before your really bend the knees.

You've eliminated virtually all the rounding you had before. If you want to go deeper in the future you'll need to push those knees out.

In regards to a belt, to help the core you need to make sure your are pushing out against it on all sides. It's not tighten the belt so much that your gut it tight.
Old 09-24-2013, 04:44 PM   #15
Eric Lamontagne

Profile:

Would purchasing a "lifting shoe" be of benefit? Or even something like the nano? You are right on, the shoes are a bit squishy. Definitely were purchased for running and not lifting.

Beyond simply pushing my butt back more, is there a drill or focus that helps bring that point home?
Old 09-24-2013, 07:01 PM   #16
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

Degree of butt back
Least--Front Squat--High Bar/Oly Squat--Low Bar/Powerlift Squat--Box Squat

The higher degree of butt back the longer you should push the butt back before unlocking the knees, and this also varies for body type. For front and high bar, you just unlock the hips and just push them back before the knees bend and your squat path is mainly straight down and up. It is suttle here.

For low bar, you'll be reaching your butt back more before the knees bend. Path is still pretty down and up, but has a feel as back and down then up.

To practice work the hip hinge--KB swings, box squats. Work on bodyweight squatting with a wall behind you and try to hit the wall with your butt as far away from the wall as possible.

Keep in mind, if you do too much butt back in the squat you can be setting your self up more for a good morning.

Overall, the squatting style you focus on should match your goals. If you are doing a lot of olympic lifting you should be taking a high bar position. If you are training for general strength, then you might choose based on your current mobility and long term goals. (You can still use the other style for variety, but having some focus is good).

In regards to shoes, at the very least get a shoe without any air/gel/super cushioning system. Good basic choices are Adidas Sambas, Chuck Taylors, minimalist shoes or the CF shoes.

If you do a lot of olympic lifting, then you should get lifting shoes for certain. If you don't, you might want to see if you squat better in a flatter shoe or with a slight lift before buying an OLy shoe.
Old 10-07-2013, 10:49 PM   #17
Crissilia Suta

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik Nichols View Post
Agreed on the depth. Full range of motion.

Also tighter core, as you pick up the bar or really just befor you pick up the bar, get your core TIGHT, and keep it tight through out the lift. Think tight core at the bottom.

Also like Andrew said STAY on the heels. Which may be hip mobility work needed. Are your hips tight at the bottom? Can you air squat to full depth with heels down?
Core needs to stay solid at the bottom so you don't cave in like that. Great that you can get that depth but not necessary if you can't keep it in control
Old 10-08-2013, 06:36 PM   #18
Keith Enderlein

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lamontagne View Post
Would purchasing a "lifting shoe" be of benefit? Or even something like the nano? You are right on, the shoes are a bit squishy. Definitely were purchased for running and not lifting.

Beyond simply pushing my butt back more, is there a drill or focus that helps bring that point home?
Put a 10 pound metal plate under each heal when you squat and see if that helps your squat. If it does then Oly shoes will help your depth in the squat. If this does help you probably need to work on ankle flexibility. I don't know why it isn't prescribed more often but manual massage of the foot and ankle joint can give you a lot of range of motion. I'll do it when I'm sitting on my couch watching TV. I don't think that you need to push your hips back. You should clear up that hip flexor tightness with long duration stretching, PNF and lax ball work. Tight hip flexors will put you into an anterior pelvic tilt which will make your hammies feel tight and then you can't maintain your natural curve as you go down in the squat. So hip flexors as well as the piriformis and potentially adductors. Make sure you are clearing up those areas.

It is one thing to watch a video and see your back is rounding but another thing to go down and no at watch exact point you lose that arch. Doing some goblet squats perpendicular to a mirror can help you. Don't always look infront of the mirror just every once in awhile to confirm what you feel. Work on keeping that arch and do some nice slow deliberate reps learning your body. The weight should be around 25-40 pounds. I think a great stretch is to get into the bottom of a goblet squat and force the knees out while you concentrate on keeping a neutral spine and try and drop down a little low as the stretch goes on. This is something I use every time before I squat.
In addition make sure you are breathing into your belly but not pushing your belly out as this will put you into more of an anterior pelvic tilt. Take the breath into your low back and think about getting tight circumferentially. Squeezing the glutes and externally rotating the head of your femur at the top of the lift will also help. If you don't start in the correct position it is hard to finish in the correct position. Hope that helps. Good Luck.