CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 06-20-2013, 08:33 AM   #1
James Frederick

Profile:
Snatch Balance

I've been having some issues for a while with really bad wrist pain when doing anything overhead (especially squat snatch/OHS work). I do have some mild scoliosis (a slight S curve down my spine), but am not positive how much that is affecting my positioning.

The picture that I posted is from a video that I took of me working on Snatch Balances and as you can see, my shoulder positioning is very awkward, but strangely enough it feels like it's a solid position for me. The only thing that doesn't feel good is my left wrist. I wound up having some pretty gnarly pain after doing a few sets of three with these.

My question. . . have any of you seen anything like this before? If so, do you have any ideas on things I could do to balance things out? Also, any ideas on the wrist pain? I'm thinking if I can somehow get my shoulders squared up, my wrist pain will improve. . . not sure on that though.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2013-06-20-11-14-07.JPG
Views:	1069
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	12523  

Last edited by James Frederick : 06-20-2013 at 08:45 AM.
Old 06-20-2013, 08:53 AM   #2
Matthew Swartz

Profile:
Re: Snatch Balance

Work on wrist flexibility (and on top of that, all of your flexibility). I don't care how "solid" that position feels, it's pretty horrible. I'm sure MWOD or some other Oly lifting websites have some wrist pain/stretching videos available if you google the topic.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:29 AM   #3
Patrick Costello

Profile:
Re: Snatch Balance - Wrist Pain

There seems to be a few things in this photo that are limiting you, but wrist flexibility doesn't look to be one of them, IMO. You're gripping the bar fine and your wrists are laid back properly. I was originally going to say maybe your grip was a bit too wide (which can cause some pain on the inside of the wrist, below the thumb), but you might have some kind of shoulder impingement that's translating into wrist pain.

Your left shoulder is significantly higher than your right shoulder. If you're trying to shrug your shoulders to your ears for "active shoulders", please forget all about that. You need to externally rotate your arms (biceps pointed up) to achieve a stable overhead position. In this photo, your arms are severely INTERNALLY rotated which provides zero skeletal support for the load overhead. I would surf mobilitywod.com and find exercises for shoulder/arm external rotation.

Also, both your ankles look like they're collapsing to the inside of the foot. Try a narrower squat position with a bit less turnout and really force those knees out.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:50 AM   #4
James Frederick

Profile:

Patrick, thanks a lot for the advice! I'll definitely look around on mobilitywod/google for something I can do to increase my external rotation in my shoulders/arms. That's something that I've not thought about before!
Old 06-22-2013, 10:17 AM   #5
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Wrist wraps.

If you are new to the bar or have taken some significant time away from a bar or don't use one very often, it's bound to happen.
Old 06-24-2013, 06:30 AM   #6
James Caldwell

Profile:

You need to externally rotate @ shoulder..

Point your elbows down toward the ground and show your armpit forward.