CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 05-14-2013, 06:53 PM   #11
Bradley James Thompson

Profile:
Re: Bowed Legs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Enge View Post
Have you seen an orthopedic doctor? Have you had any tests done, x-rays, MRIs, movement tests? If so, what have the results been? Are there things you flat out just can't do with your legs?

Being honest, and not trying to be a d***, I think if you have done the above things and every test has come back negative and you can physically do every movement, there's a good chance that it's mental. Have you tried just taking a break and letting yourself reset? I mean, a complete and total break for a week or so.
I've done all of those things several times each, including breaks, which have lasted for much longer than a week, and the breaks didn't help at all. Tests don't come back completely negative, but with nothing major. No problems worth operating one.

The only thing that has ever made my legs feel slightly more normal is McConnel taping, but that's just a band-aid and I could never replicate the effect of it by doing the tape myself, nor could I even find the tape for sale that the doctor who did it suggested I use. And it was a pretty minor improvement. Perceptible, but barely.

I can technically do pretty much everything, even a single pistol on my right leg, and sometimes on my left. But pretty much everything feels terrible. Not usually painful, but it feels dangerous due to the sense that things are not lined up, muscles getting pulled in wacky directions, and parts of the muscles feelig like they're not doing anything at all when they should be. Pretty much anything I do will eventually cause pain from time to time, and if I try actually adding more resistance, things get worse. I have attempted several times to just pretend like everything is fine and that "works" for a couple weeks tops, before I have to conclude that there is something wrong that needs to be addressed or else I'm going to seriously injure myself.

Last edited by Bradley James Thompson : 05-14-2013 at 06:55 PM.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:34 PM   #12
Oli Kellett

Profile:

Have you seen a podiatrist and looked into orthotics for your shoes? This clears up a lot of issues in alignments I have found.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:41 PM   #13
Bradley James Thompson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oli Kellett View Post
Have you seen a podiatrist and looked into orthotics for your shoes? This clears up a lot of issues in alignments I have found.

I have not seen a podiatrist. However I have worn orthotics. Didn't notice any clear benefit, though maybe they have to be worn for years to do anything. I don't know how long I've used them at the longest. Probably 3-6 months. And given the fact that I didn't get them from a podiatrist they may have not been shaped the way I needed them to be.

Honestly I hate things like orthotics, and taping, because they seem like band-aids that don't get at the root of the problem. I'll do whatever works though.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:46 PM   #14
Oli Kellett

Profile:

Get proper fitted ones from a podiatrist, they are much better than store bought ones.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:48 PM   #15
Bradley James Thompson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oli Kellett View Post
Get proper fitted ones from a podiatrist, they are much better than store bought ones.
I had some "fitted" by a PT. She applied a heat gun to them and then put them in my shoes.

Probably not the same.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:37 AM   #16
Vickie Ellickson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradley James Thompson View Post
I had some "fitted" by a PT. She applied a heat gun to them and then put them in my shoes.

Probably not the same.
Not at all the same. True orthotics are custom built by utilizing a cast mold of your feet. However, for things like squats, pistols, deadlifts or whatever you are doing, orthotics aren't going to be the answer.

Assuming for a minute that there's nothing that is structurally preventing you from doing whatever movements you are trying to do, it's possible you're doing the movements incorrectly. Do you have someone coaching you on technique? If not, when was the last time you posted a vid in the digital coaching section to get feedback on your form?

Do you use weightlifting shoes?

What movements in particular cause you grief?
Old 05-15-2013, 09:38 AM   #17
Dustin Wintczak

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradley James Thompson View Post
I've done all of those things several times each, including breaks, which have lasted for much longer than a week, and the breaks didn't help at all. Tests don't come back completely negative, but with nothing major. No problems worth operating one.

The only thing that has ever made my legs feel slightly more normal is McConnel taping, but that's just a band-aid and I could never replicate the effect of it by doing the tape myself, nor could I even find the tape for sale that the doctor who did it suggested I use. And it was a pretty minor improvement. Perceptible, but barely.

I can technically do pretty much everything, even a single pistol on my right leg, and sometimes on my left. But pretty much everything feels terrible. Not usually painful, but it feels dangerous due to the sense that things are not lined up, muscles getting pulled in wacky directions, and parts of the muscles feelig like they're not doing anything at all when they should be. Pretty much anything I do will eventually cause pain from time to time, and if I try actually adding more resistance, things get worse. I have attempted several times to just pretend like everything is fine and that "works" for a couple weeks tops, before I have to conclude that there is something wrong that needs to be addressed or else I'm going to seriously injure myself.
How do you know things are "not lined up" or "parts of the muscles aren't doing anything at all" when clinically (via testing etc) that you say you've had done is showing everything is a-ok. It really does sound like a mental thing, after all you admit in the paragraph above you're never really injuring yourself. You're just quitting because you think you will.
So my question is, have you actually pulled/torn a muscle/ligament/tendon while working out? Just curios.
Old 05-15-2013, 03:05 PM   #18
Jeff Enge

Profile:

Piggybacking off of what Dustin is saying, has there ever been a time where you felt totally "right?"

I think if you really have the desire to get back to doing movements you don't feel like you can do, the next doc you should see is some kind of sports psychologist. Again, I mean this totally earnestly. It really sounds like there's nothing physically wrong, but that extreme doubt in your mind isn't something you want to keep pushing against. Mental imbalances can be just as dangerous as physical ones.
Old 05-15-2013, 05:43 PM   #19
Alfredo Mendoza

Profile:

It's great that you're seeing a PT about this. "Bowed legs" and heavy weights make for a tough combination. I'm a firm believer that the "air squat" serves as a foundational and corrective exercise. If you "bow out" when you're air squatting, you'll most likely bow out when you squat with weight. This can cause inflammation in various places, patellar tracking issues and muscular imbalance to name a few results. Your PT should teach you to corrective exercises to get you towards squatting perfectly (weight on heels, knees tracking over the toes, the back in neutral position and the chest up).
Take it back to basics and build from there. Good luck.
Old 05-15-2013, 07:32 PM   #20
Bradley James Thompson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Enge View Post
Piggybacking off of what Dustin is saying, has there ever been a time where you felt totally "right?"

I think if you really have the desire to get back to doing movements you don't feel like you can do, the next doc you should see is some kind of sports psychologist. Again, I mean this totally earnestly. It really sounds like there's nothing physically wrong, but that extreme doubt in your mind isn't something you want to keep pushing against. Mental imbalances can be just as dangerous as physical ones.
About 10 years ago. Everything felt great. Squats felt great, aside from the fact that I was a weakling.